"Milf will be like Locky" - Bennett

There was what seemed like a set play where hunt put a long grubber through for Milford on the first tackle about 35m out. Milford was very close to winning the race for the ball.

I think hunt needs to target Milford with his short kicking game more often.

I'm happy to give Milf more time at 6 but at the moment there is a bit of a Ben barba vibe to him. we haven't seen him really use any of the skills we were all so excited about when we signed him.

Last edited:
The biggest reason why Milford is going to remain at 5/8 is... because Boyd.

Milford is not the best 5/8 we have. That is a fallacy, given who we have in the U20's and even Boyd, Kahu or Hodgo are better 5/8's.
By placing him where he is and given the amount of pressure put on him, we are negating his best qualities, and hindering his progress. He needs to take advantage of his explosiveness in second phase play and space, and he is not getting that at the moment.

The reasoning that he has a good short kicking and passing game, besides his running game, is not a reason to say he's a good 5/8. In fact, that is exactly the playmaking abilities you'd want your fullback to have in the modern game.

A halve however, needs more organisational qualities, a better kicking game and the ability to get people around him into holes and space. Milford isn't capable of that... at least, not yet.

I can understand the reluctance of giving Ash Taylor a go, as he is "only killing it in the U20's", but he is the best halve we have at the Broncos imo, is less than a year younger than Milford, and is bound to be breaking down the door to FG soon, if not already.

And yes BP, I have seen Taylor play heaps!

Last edited:

... and probably the biggest reason why Taylor will be playing against us in the not too distant future.

Milford is not the best 5/8 we have. That is a fallacy, given who we have in the U20's and even Boyd, Kahu or Hodgo are better 5/8's.
By placing him where he is and given the amount of pressure put on him, we are negating his best qualities, and hindering his progress. He needs to take advantage of his explosiveness in second phase play and space, and he is not getting that at the moment.

The reasoning that he has a good short kicking and passing game, besides his running game, is not a reason to say he's a good 5/8. In fact, that is exactly the playmaking abilities you'd want your fullback to have in the modern game.

A halve however, needs more organisational qualities, a better kicking game and the ability to get people around him into holes and space. Milford isn't capable of that... at least, not yet.

I can understand the reluctance of giving Ash Taylor a go, as he is "only killing it in the U20's", but he is the best halve we have at the Broncos imo, is less than a year younger than Milford, and is bound to be breaking down the door to FG soon, if not already.

I could not agree more .... perfect summation

I'm not going to bother with the first part of that.

If that's your opinion on Milford that's fine, I can see where you're coming from I just have a different take.

But if you're honestly going to label my view as a fallacy and then say that Boyd, Hodges and Kahu are better 5/8s based on lord knows what, then honestly it just isn't worth it.

So I'll touch on something that is...

Disagree.

Taylor is a quality prospect but he's still finding his feet as a professional player and there are certain aspects of his game that are not up to first grade standard. Physically he struggles to assert himself in the contest which can result in him floating in and out of games as he defers the responsibility to other players.

Given his record with injuries, it would have been a mistake to rely on him as the first choice halfback given it would have been after his first proper pre-season with the first grade side.

You don't rush a player like him and while I'm excited to see if he'll make a cameo at some point, I definitely disagree that he's the best half at the club.

Maybe in 2-3 years time.

In 2015? No way.

I could not agree more .... perfect summation

Not quite ....this part is definitely not true IMO. I've seen Milford create space and put people away heaps .....there's a few instances in the earlier footage.

Taylor is a quality prospect but he's still finding his feet as a professional player and there are certain aspects of his game that are not up to first grade standard. Physically he struggles to assert himself in the contest which can result in him floating in and out of games as he defers the responsibility to other players.

Given his record with injuries, it would have been a mistake to rely on him as the first choice halfback given it would have been after his first proper pre-season with the first grade side.

You don't rush a player like him and while I'm excited to see if he'll make a cameo at some point, I definitely disagree that he's the best half at the club.

Maybe in 2-3 years time.

In 2015? No way.

In 2-3 years time he won't be at the club. Hunt only gets better and frankly isn't going anywhere and the longer Milford stays at 6 the lower his ceiling at fullback will be.

Barring a key injury which I hope never happens, it's basically now or never for Taylor.

!!!

Thankfully we've signed him until the end of 2016 so by then he'll be able to give a proper account of himself and...

*knock on wood*

play a full season.

In other words, cross that bridge when we come to it.

I'm not going to bother with the first part of that.

If that's your opinion on Milford that's fine, I can see where you're coming from I just have a different take.

But if you're honestly going to label my view as a fallacy and then say that Boyd, Hodges and Kahu are better 5/8s based on lord knows what, then honestly it just isn't worth it.

So I'll touch on something that is...

Disagree.

Maybe in 2-3 years time.

In 2015? No way.
You're absolutely right... with statements like that, based on god knows what, it isn't worth arguing.

See how easy it is to be dismissive and condescending?

Based on the fact he's yet to play a full season of NYC, let alone play a single game of NRL and he's up against a Test player who's firming as an Origin player.

But if you're going to act that way then by all means.

Based on the fact he's yet to play a full season of NYC, let alone play a single game of NRL and he's up against a Test player who's firming as an Origin player.

I don't think Milford is firming as an Origin player.

Or do you mean Hunt? Because if you do, I think that's kind of weird, as I think people who do want to see Taylor want him with Hunt, not Milford.

But on your point of playing a full season, even he does and goes strongly, I still don't see Milford being moved after being persisted with for a full season and Boyd on our roster.

But happy to be proven wrong.

Ari Gold said:
Or do you mean Hunt? Because if you do, I think that's kind of weird, as I think people who do want to see Taylor want him with Hunt, not Milford.

Big Pete said:
I definitely disagree that he's (Taylor) the best half at the club.

Maybe in 2-3 years time.

In 2015? No way.

Not really.

In 2-3 years time he won't be at the club. Hunt only gets better and frankly isn't going anywhere and the longer Milford stays at 6 the lower his ceiling at fullback will be.

Barring a key injury which I hope never happens, it's basically now or never for Taylor.

With Hunt, Milford and Boyd locked into the 7,6,and 1, and Bennett's thinking, it will be never for Taylor, not at the Broncos at least.

And some of the conservatism around here about "blooding" young talent is disturbing.

Has Taylor even played a game of Q cup yet?

With Hunt, Milford and Boyd locked into the 7,6,and 1, and Bennett's thinking, it will be never for Taylor, not at the Broncos at least.

And some of the conservatism around here about "blooding" young talent is disturbing.

He has two years to prove that he is better than hunt, Milford or whoever is the bench utility. He will get chances through injury and origin etc. if he is good enough they will make room somehow.

Cornish was dominant in the NYC, great in the U20 rep scene.. He got too much pressure to perform in the NRL prematurely, and now he's basically not even in the Raiders future plans.

Do you really want that to happen to Taylor?..

We've got Taylor & Milford both coming off contract at the end of 2016, if at that point Taylor is out-performing Milford in every aspect in the ISC and has had a few NRL games (Which he's bound to get through suspension/injury/rep duties over the next 18 months) as well as Hunt still playing class football, then Wayne will have to make a tough choice about the future of the club, there's absolutely zero point in worrying about it at the moment, a lot can change in that amount of time.

Wayne isn't as biased and dimwitted as some of you might think, if it gets to the end of the 2016 season and Boyd isn't performing as well as he'd want at Fullback, it's still a real possibility that he re-signs Taylor & Milford, moves Taylor to Five-Eighth, Milford to Fullback, Boyd to the Centres/Wing (At that point Hodges will be gone) and we go from there.

Please stop making out that there's absolutely no chance for Taylor to play for us in the future, there's going to be ample opportunities for him to make a name for himself if he's consistently good in NYC & ISC.

Didn't Milford dominate the junior grades as a half too? So he's done just about as much as a half as Taylor has. He also lost a grand final in the NYC playing what position? Five-eight. I don't see how Taylors pedigree as a half stands out over Milford. It doesn't.

But if you're going to act that way then by all means.
I guess it's ok when you do it, but not when I do...
There is a difference between having a different opinion and being dismissive of other's ideas.

Do you know how much NYC, or ISC/NSW Cup Milford has played? Why was he able to make it in first grade and Taylor couldn't?

What has he shown at 5/8 that Hodges, Kahu or Boyd haven't? I'm not trying to make out that Hodges, Kahu or Boy are great 5/8's, just that Milford isn't one either, and even if he does get better, he is a much better fullback than anyone else we have, and Taylor is already a much better, completer half, than Milford might ever become.

Active Now

• Harry Sack
  • Browny
  • barker
  • winslow_wong
  • Reds2011
  • Jason Simmons
  • Swordfish
  • kwomo
  • Sproj
  • Manofoneway
  • marw
  • Allo
  • mrslong
  • whykickamoocow
  • theshed
  • mrtij
  • broncos4life
  • Financeguy
  • Bronco bob
  • FACTHUNT
... and 31 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.