NEWS Milford: fit as ever, raring to go

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Chris Honnery in The Courier-Mail says Anthony Milford is looking at peak fitness before NRL round one:

According to Coach Anthony Seibold, Milford's body composition – muscle, fat, bone and water ratio – is at its best since 2015, at least partly thanks to taking up boxing over the off-season to improve his speed and endurance. This has been his first uninterrupted pre-season since joining the Broncos – no shoulder surgeries or rep games.

COTY 2018 says:

“His body composition is the best it’s been since he’s been in Brisbane, he tells me. He’s no longer in the extras group. He’s working really hard. He needed to have a good pre-season too. He needed to come in and work hard to get better physically and work hard to get better from a footy point of view. I feel as though he’s much more consistent with his training. He’s got himself in a really good position to have a good season. He’s just got to keep chipping away.”

“He told me the other day, he’s hardly had a pre-season. He’s had shoulder operations, he’s had rep football, so this is really his first proper pre-season for a long time. One thing I know about pre-seasons, is that they can set you up individually for a good season. I like what he’s doing. Him and Brodie (Croft) and Tommy (Dearden) are combining really well. I’m really happy with his preparation. I feel he’s much more consistent. The proof will be in the pudding.”

McHunt

Last edited:
He has an option for next season, but it’s make or break for him his season I think.

The less responsibility the better for Milf.

While I appreciate this is his first full preseason for a while, and that he is in better shape then ever.... I'll believe he's ready to blow the competition apart when I see it. Big fan but way too many false dawns with milford, not his fault completely and he is improving in other areas, but he's hardly looked driven to become elite since he scored his $1 million deal.

Last edited:
“His body composition is the best it’s been since he’s been in Brisbane, he tells me. He’s no longer in the extras group. He’s working really hard. He needed to have a good pre-season too. He needed to come in and work hard to get better physically and work hard to get better from a footy point of view. I feel as though he’s much more consistent with his training. He’s got himself in a really good position to have a good season. He’s just got to keep chipping away.”

“He told me the other day, he’s hardly had a pre-season. He’s had shoulder operations, he’s had rep football, so this is really his first proper pre-season for a long time. One thing I know about pre-seasons, is that they can set you up individually for a good season. I like what he’s doing. Him and Brodie (Croft) and Tommy (Dearden) are combining really well. I’m really happy with his preparation. I feel he’s much more consistent. The proof will be in the pudding.”

I always get the feeling that Seibold is distancing himself. This is just another example.
Surely he is across all his players history and is up to date with where they are fitness wise, particularly after blaming previous coaches for the shape they were in when he arrived, without the player having to tell him.

Not sure about this bloke at all.

Last edited:
Mmmm, just because Milford told him about his preseason history doesn't mean he didn't already know! I believe you're adding 2 + 2 and arriving at 13.
Missing the point Huge, again.
AS has a habit if distancing himself the way he speaks, IMO.

I'll wait for the trials before making my mind up on any of these stories. It sounds encouraging but it seems there's at least one of these for any given player struggling with form every pre-season.

I always get the feeling that Seibold is distancing himself. This is just another example.
Surely he is across all his players history and is up to date with where they are fitness wise, particularly after blaming previous coaches for the shape they were in when he arrived, without the player having to tell him.

You are right: he is relaying Milford's claims, not owning them. But he also says he's very happy with the prep, but we'll just have to wait and see if that translates to the field. I don't know how to read much more into this. It's a tricky balance trying to praise your players while pushing them harder.

lol wow.

Seibold's all about giving his players more responsibility for themselves and the way he speaks reflects that, in my opinion.
That's fine, as long as he takes responsibility for giving the players feedback and making selections/dropping players as appropriate.

That's fine, as long as he takes responsibility for giving the players feedback and making selections/dropping players as appropriate.
It's interesting how much the early mail after the record loss - Badel, I think - seems to have been on the money. Boyd sacked, Macca demoted and Milford "put on notice." The recent painfully awkward Milford interview and this cautious arms-length praise fits the puzzle. But like Seibold says: the proof will be in the pudding.

I think it's a tricky situation we find ourselves in with Milford.

On balance, he hasn't proven to be great value over the course of his most recent deal. Logically speaking, he probably deserves a lower offer for his next deal more in line with his performances and his standards.

That said, it's almost a given that Milford will be expecting at bare minimum the same money and more realistically, his agent will be encouraging him to ask for more money.

This leaves us in a precarious position going into this year becasuse:

A) He has another mediocre or even poor season, and we probably don't retain him

B) He has a great season, and we're in the difficult position of probably having to outbid other clubs to keep him, as he's definitely the kind of player other clubs will be sniffing around for, despite the fact that we've realistically been overpaying him for the last few seasons.

Either way, I think it's reasonably unlikely that Milford will remain a Bronco. If he plays poorly, we probably don't offer him another deal, or we offer a reduced one that other clubs can easily beat. Alternatively, he has a great season and suddenly he's a hot commodity again and we can't afford to keep him.

Maybe that's a pessimistic way to look at it, but I think Milford's time here is very likely numbered.

For virtually identical reasons, I actually think Jack Bird's days here are numbered too almost regardless of how this season pans out.

It's interesting how much the early mail after the record loss - Badel, I think - seems to have been on the money. Boyd sacked, Macca demoted and Milford "put on notice." The recent painfully awkward Milford interview and this cautious arms-length praise fits the puzzle. But like Seibold says: the proof will be in the pudding.

He was told; strategy post Eels game was to be seen to be doing things. Decisions were made very quickly and local media were informed so that the Croft situation/photos were seen and change was seen to be being made.

Seibold said last week he informed Boyd in September.

Same as early this week when I said tactical and purposeful. Media weren’t just having a coffee and smashed avocado with Croft and Seibold two tables over.

Active Now

• Jedhead
  • armchair
  • Broncosgirl
  • mrtij
  • Strop
  • broncoscope
  • heartly87
  • Bish
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Johnny92
  • Behold
  • Sproj
  • bert_lifts
  • Fozz
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Dony Eliakim
  • NSW stables
  • RodF
  • Footy Fanatic
  • LittleDavey
... and 8 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.