NEWS Milford is back, baby

As Anthony Milford heaped sugar onto his Coco Pops Monday morning, he had no idea he was about to be tasked with his biggest challenge yet. To guide his former club, the Souths Magpies, to their first premiership in 13 years. Get along to Davies Park at 3PM today to see him in action:

“I didn’t know what to expect. We went through the video and he pointed out some things in my game I wasn’t doing well. I agreed. To hear I was dropped ... it was tough. I’ve never been in a position to hear those words, but I have to get over the fact I’ve been dropped and use it as a positive. I’ve always been a team-first player so whatever he thought was best for the team, I’ll accept it. While it’s disappointing, I’m hoping it’s a blessing in disguise.”

“I haven’t been up to the standards that I set myself and Kevvie’s as well. The truth is I need to be better. I have to be accountable.”

“I have some mixed emotions. Some nerves, but some excitement, too. I’m going to have a lot of family and friends coming to support me so I’m looking forward to playing some football."

HGlory Glory to the Magpies Front Cover

Glory is only the beginning

“I am pretty keen to get back to a club where I played Cyril Connell and Mal Meninga Cup. It’s not a new club for me. I will be going back to see some familiar faces and it’s a club I love because that’s where I started out. One thing I’m excited about is playing with Karmichael Hunt. Souths have a few ex-NRL players, Albert Kelly and Kevin Locke are there, so when I went to training on Wednesday it opened my eyes up to the quality of players there.”

“I’ll be honest, I’m not too sure what my future is at the Broncos. It’s out of my control really. I’m leaving the contract stuff to my manager and we’ll see what happens. In an ideal world, I want to stay. That’s what I hope. But I understand the Broncos have a lot of players off-contract and it’s hard to keep everyone. But just because I’ve been dropped, I’m not going to be one of those players who jumps on the phone straight away wanting a release."

“Kevvie has reassured me as well that he hasn’t given up on me. He told me to go and enjoy myself in Queensland Cup, get some confidence from playing there and then see how I go and try and find my way back into the team. I’ve copped it. I have to be better. I know there is a lot of noise around me, but I know I’m not done. I will be back.”

“I don’t look at my contract as a burden. It’s the nature of the beast. The scrutiny is what comes with playing football at this level. I am at a pretty powerful club at the Broncos and there is always a big focus on us. The Broncos expect to be in the finals every year and they expect to be winning more games than they lose. The year we made the grand final, it was a huge confidence thing for me."

Hmirifai   CMVyWpzHK5i

Won't let them down

“As a group, we had built a lot of momentum and there was a lot of self-belief and the team gave me the confidence to back myself. I did things that season that I didn’t think I was capable of doing because the self-belief in the team was so strong. For whatever reason over the past two or three years, I haven’t been able to perform consistently. It has affected my confidence.”

" Look, I’m not the best trainer at the club but I make an effort. I’ve always felt I’m a better player than a trainer. There have been a lot of great players over the years who weren’t the best trainers. One thing I know is I do care. I care a lot about winning games for the Broncos. Every game I go out there wanting to win. I’m not one to blame anything or anyone else for what’s happened. I’m not using injuries as an excuse. I’m not too sure how long I’m going to be at Souths Logan, but I want to get back in that Broncos jumper.”

McHunt

Fair point of view and hope that your right but I'll show my lack of patience by saying this is the week for kev. After table thumping and throwing jerseys around, we need to see some more to his coaching because his selections are Siebold style at the minute. I don't dispute the crap halves situation but when you talk up one guy as the future that leaves and another that you say needs 4 to 5 weeks and bring him back after 2, its not exactly reassuring. As for respect, history, contacts and love ...f*&ck mate, we're looking for blokes to tackle hard, run hard and cut out the sub school boy level errors.
How are we feeling this morning @Rico ?
Ain't it great to earn a win!
Patient's my friend✌
Kev's got this.
I hope🙏 haha

How are we feeling this morning @Rico ?
Ain't it great to earn a win!
Patient's my friend✌
Kev's got this.
I hope🙏 haha
thanks for the follow up mate. Sure is. Went to the game as always and got invited by some corporates so upgraded from my cheap seats. Got plastered in the end and enjoyed the win. I can’t get too excited given the shit start but hey it’s a start and some winnable games on the horizon. Cheers chewy

thanks for the follow up mate. Sure is. Went to the game as always and got invited by some corporates so upgraded from my cheap seats. Got plastered in the end and enjoyed the win. I can’t get too excited given the shit start but hey it’s a start and some winnable games on the horizon. Cheers chewy
Upgrades are always the start of the drinking fever. Best nights IMO.

Great news, Milford wants to stay a Bronco:

I'm not totally against him staying. If he can reinvent himself, and if this demotion by Walters from being marquee to reserves and playing for NRL survival can make Milford find it within himself to get back to his best, he could be the perfect 5/8 or backup half at least. Either way he'd be a low contract offer, but he's not a lost cause. He has the talent, if he turns around and trains better than he ever has, he can still make it. He's only 26.

I would wait til the last few weeks of the season before even considering a cut price deal for him.

If we get Reynolds or Gamble continues to show the control he did last week, Milford would be the perfect foil for him but the issue is going to be whether or not he's happy to take a pay cut

If he gets a new contract he’ll just go back to being lazy. I wouldn’t entertain it tbh.

You wouldn't give him a long contract but a 1-2 season HEAVILY reduced deal, I'm all for it. As mentioned, he is only 26, he still has time to turn it around, look at the likes of Barba, Ben Hunt to a limited extent, Benji, etc.

Walters:

“The ball is in Anthony’s court on where his future is, certainly. That’s a decision he makes, not the club."

“We just want ‘Milf’ to be the player that he can be. He showed some good form last week and if continues to produce that, he gives himself every opportunity to remain at the Broncos.”

Milford:

“It is an important time for me. There are several of us boys coming off-contract and the guys the Broncos want to keep will be their first priority. I have to keep backing myself and if a new contract comes, it comes. If it doesn’t, then I have to keep working hard and see what options there are for me."

“I don’t think my career was ever in doubt. All I can control is the way I train and the way I play. I know I have to be better than what I have been and if I start playing consistently, the contract will look after itself.”

“It’s good to be back in the NRL. I enjoyed myself at Souths Logan and I‘m grateful to be called back and play some NRL. It was pretty good to go back to Queensland Cup and enjoy my football. There was some fun back in football for me."

“I bumped around with guys who worked all day and then they would come to training looking forward to playing. It made me appreciate everything we get in the NRL. The boys at Souths Logan were great and I made some good mates there.

“Kevvie has just told me to just go out and enjoy myself, because when I do that, something always happens. I’m at my best when I’m enjoying my football and then I can start to build some momentum.”

McHunt

Walters:

“The ball is in Anthony’s court on where his future is, certainly. That’s a decision he makes, not the club."

“We just want ‘Milf’ to be the player that he can be. He showed some good form last week and if continues to produce that, he gives himself every opportunity to remain at the Broncos.”

Milford:

“It is an important time for me. There are several of us boys coming off-contract and the guys the Broncos want to keep will be their first priority. I have to keep backing myself and if a new contract comes, it comes. If it doesn’t, then I have to keep working hard and see what options there are for me."

“I don’t think my career was ever in doubt. All I can control is the way I train and the way I play. I know I have to be better than what I have been and if I start playing consistently, the contract will look after itself.”

“It’s good to be back in the NRL. I enjoyed myself at Souths Logan and I‘m grateful to be called back and play some NRL. It was pretty good to go back to Queensland Cup and enjoy my football. There was some fun back in football for me."

“I bumped around with guys who worked all day and then they would come to training looking forward to playing. It made me appreciate everything we get in the NRL. The boys at Souths Logan were great and I made some good mates there.

“Kevvie has just told me to just go out and enjoy myself, because when I do that, something always happens. I’m at my best when I’m enjoying my football and then I can start to build some momentum.”

McHunt
Yip , call me naive but Ive got this feeling Milf is in line for a e morro night which spells disaster for the Cows and happy days for us.

Yip , call me naive but Ive got this feeling Milf is in line for a e morro night which spells disaster for the Cows and happy days for us.

If it isn't tomorrow night, you get the sense it is coming regardless.

Active Now

• Sproj
  • Old Mate
  • Waynesaurus
  • Santa
  • Redux
  • Battler
  • Fitzy
  • Foordy
  • Harry Sack
  • winslow_wong
  • broncos4life
  • I bleed Maroon
  • eggstar10
  • Strop
  • Financeguy
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Broncorob
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.