NEWS Milford primed for 6 of the best next to Croft

That doesn’t explain post 2015 though, does it mate?

Post 2015 the whole team started its decline and fall with rock bottom being that game against the Eels. I can't see how it is useful to single out one player, unless he is unrealistically expected to be the Saviour, to shoulder most of the blame for systemic issues, largely brought about by a shitty roster and strange coaching.

Bennett himself said that in 2015 he decided to let Milf play his own game before imposing his strait jacket structures from 2016 onwards, which forced Milf to play a different style to which he wasn't suited.

Milf is a convenient scapegoat it seems.

To me, this period of decline coincides with the only time an organising player has not been our best-paid player (eg. main priority). By placing priorities either on other things or attributing that to a skill to a player that couldn't deliver we have suffered greatly. There a reason a quarterback is paid so much in NFL. Any player on the field expected to lead an attack around the field should be the number one priority.
I think Milford was thought to be capable of this but has proven inadequate to the task. The only question: "is croft capable?" and if he is: "how do we keep him?".
There is the belief that Dearden will walk into his shoes conveniently by the end of croft's contract. I hope this is so and the raps prove true. But if it isn't, we will be back to square one if we don't prepare to adequately compensate him, and have the cap space ready for it.
In short, for me Croft's success will be Milford's exit.

I look at $1m players and compare him. The others do alright in poor teams.

Edit: except Ash Taylor.

Examples please.

Milf showed in 2015 exactly the kind of player he is, and what he can do when allowed to. We signed him for this role, not to be another Lockyer or Langer, but as a free running ball playing 5/8 within the context of a game plan which allowed his skills to shine. Things changed since then. He was straitjacketed more than less.

Milf for mine was never signed to be an organiser, and I can't see in his pre-Broncos form where he was ever an organiser. Hopefully with Croft and Turps in the side to organise, Milf can revert to his natural style of play which again, is why he was signed.

To me, this period of decline coincides with the only time an organising player has not been our best-paid player (eg. main priority). By placing priorities either on other things or attributing that to a skill to a player that couldn't deliver we have suffered greatly. There a reason a quarterback is paid so much in NFL. Any player on the field expected to lead an attack around the field should be the number one priority.
I think Milford was thought to be capable of this but has proven inadequate to the task. The only question: "is croft capable?" and if he is: "how do we keep him?".
There is the belief that Dearden will walk into his shoes conveniently by the end of croft's contract. I hope this is so and the raps prove true. But if it isn't, we will be back to square one if we don't prepare to adequately compensate him, and have the cap space ready for it.
In short, for me Croft's success will be Milford's exit.

So why did we did so well in 2015? WHo was our "quarterback"? I cannot see why Milf is expected to be someone utterly different to why he was signed. Where was his form, surely the guide, the reason he was signed, which showed him to be the "quarterback" we needed, particularly when we seemed to do just fine in 2015 despite Macca?

Hunt did play incredibly that year.

Bloody oath he did, and not only that, his combinations with Milford were outstanding, and that for me is so significant, explaining in large part why the team played so well in 2015. It's all about combinations as far as I am concerned. I am expecting great things from the Croft-Milf partnership.

In 2015 we had Hunt at the top of his game pretty well running the show. Macca is a lot better than the credit he is given here. This and we had a functioning backline drilled well in defence with hodges it's defacto leader. Hunt steered the team, Hodges made it happen, and this left Milford to use his natural ability. They were playing functional roles and complemented each other, without an expectation to do what they were not capable of.
Enter 2016, Hunt's form is down, Hodges is gone, there are holes everywhere in our backline (right up until today). Add to that, our forwards were not as capable, and we were always destined to struggle.
This last season, we have a strong forward pack, two hookers capable (albeit both of them with wavering form at times), but no direction in attack. Our defence needs work. We don't seem to back up our kicks effectively, and fullbacks either incapable of doing what they did or not suited to doing it in the first place.
Unlike previous seasons, we were quite capable of getting out of our own half with hitups, but struggled to convert that to attacking pressure or to enforce it.

Post 2015 the whole team started its decline and fall with rock bottom being that game against the Eels. I can't see how it is useful to single out one player, unless he is unrealistically expected to be the Saviour, to shoulder most of the blame for systemic issues, largely brought about by a shitty roster and strange coaching.

Bennett himself said that in 2015 he decided to let Milf play his own game before imposing his strait jacket structures from 2016 onwards, which forced Milf to play a different style to which he wasn't suited.

Milf is a convenient scapegoat it seems.

How is he a scapegoat? He set standards for himself in 2015, then improved other aspects of his game yet his performances weren't as good. I saw a post from @Big Pete who made an excellent comment about Lockyer still performing at a very high level despite not having great players around him in the spine. Playing a slightly different role doesnt stop him performing at a high level. Playing a different style doesnt slow him down, make him not as lean and fit as he was or stop his running game ( when he gets the chance to run ) being less effective than in 2015. He is only 25 years old, hardly at the stage where he is in decline.

I dont see any scapegoating of Milf at all, i just see a player who isnt living up to the standards he set.

In 2015 we had Hunt at the top of his game pretty well running the show. Macca is a lot better than the credit he is given here. This and we had a functioning backline drilled well in defence with hodges it's defacto leader. Hunt steered the team, Hodges made it happen, and this left Milford to use his natural ability. They were playing functional roles and complemented each other, without an expectation to do what they were not capable of.
Enter 2016, Hunt's form is down, Hodges is gone, there are holes everywhere in our backline (right up until today). Add to that, our forwards were not as capable, and we were always destined to struggle.
This last season, we have a strong forward pack, two hookers capable (albeit both of them with wavering form at times), but no direction in attack. Our defence needs work. We don't seem to back up our kicks effectively, and fullbacks either incapable of doing what they did or not suited to doing it in the first place.
Unlike previous seasons, we were quite capable of getting out of our own half with hitups, but struggled to convert that to attacking pressure or to enforce it.

2016 seemed to totally change everything that was successful in 2015. Not sure if that was because of the whole Walters leaving fiasco. But there was a game where we destroyed the roosters with the style of 2015 and even Thaiday admitted after that game they wouldn’t play like that again. It was very strange.

How is he a scapegoat? He set standards for himself in 2015, then improved other aspects of his game yet his performances weren't as good. I saw a post from @Big Pete who made an excellent comment about Lockyer still performing at a very high level despite not having great players around him in the spine. Playing a slightly different role doesnt stop him performing at a high level. Playing a different style doesnt slow him down, make him not as lean and fit as he was or stop his running game ( when he gets the chance to run ) being less effective than in 2015. He is only 25 years old, hardly at the stage where he is in decline.

I dont see any scapegoating of Milf at all, i just see a player who isnt living up to the standards he set.

I see lots of scapegoating of Milf, primarily that he has failed to live up to his price tag, that he has failed in some way as a player, that this is screwing our cap. I have already posted my views about that and you can lump it or leave it.

As far as Lockyer is concerned, Milf is NO Lockyer - never was or will be. The rubbish in the media about Milf being the next Lockyer was just that - rubbish, and I reckon it set up a heap of false expectations in Milf's mind as well as in our minds which maybe contributed to the unfair criticisms Milf has copped and continues to cop on these boards.

Lockyer is absolute elite, the complete package. He carried this team. There are few players at his level. Milf isn't and will never be in that top echelon of players.

Anyway, my feeling is that with Croft in the halves, we will see Milf back at his 2015 level both individually and in the combinations he forms with Croft.

I see lots of scapegoating of Milf, primarily that he has failed to live up to his price tag, that he has failed in some way as a player, that this is screwing our cap. I have already posted my views about that and you can lump it or leave it.

As far as Lockyer is concerned, Milf is NO Lockyer - never was or will be. The rubbish in the media about Milf being the next Lockyer was just that - rubbish, and I reckon it set up a heap of false expectations in Milf's mind as well as in our minds which maybe contributed to the unfair criticisms Milf has copped and continues to cop on these boards.

Lockyer is absolute elite, the complete package. He carried this team. There are few players at his level. Milf isn't and will never be in that top echelon of players.

Anyway, my feeling is that with Croft in the halves, we will see Milf back at his 2015 level both individually and in the combinations he forms with Croft.
You may be right and I hope so too. I don't think anyone is saying Milford is a bad player. Even his harshest critics would concede he is a cut above your average player. The problem is he was bought (and paid a price for) to fulfill an expectation that did not materialize.
This year he will likely play every game he is available for. He will very likely score some magical tries too. Next year though, a hard decision will have to be made. Either he accepts a vastly reduced salary (unlikely but not impossible) or move on.
There will plenty of clubs willing to pay what he wants. I just don't think it can be us.

You may be right and I hope so too. I don't think anyone is saying Milford is a bad player. Even his harshest critics would concede he is a cut above your average player. The problem is he was bought (and paid a price for) to fulfill an expectation that did not materialize.
This year he will likely play every game he is available for. He will very likely score some magical tries too. Next year though, a hard decision will have to be made. Either he accepts a vastly reduced salary (unlikely but not impossible) or move on.
There will plenty of clubs willing to pay what he wants. I just don't think it can be us.
he is worth every penny.

2016 seemed to totally change everything that was successful in 2015. Not sure if that was because of the whole Walters leaving fiasco. But there was a game where we destroyed the roosters with the style of 2015 and even Thaiday admitted after that game they wouldn’t play like that again. It was very strange.
Bennett hadn't even taught them how to attack until 2016 😒😒😒

I never mentioned the money he is on. His salary is irrelevant to me. I said he set his standards ( which he did in 2015 ) and he hasn't lived up to the standards he set. Simple as that really. He has improved his kicking game, and yet has declined as a player despite adding more to his arsenal. He has to take a portion of the blame for it. He has put on weight, he hasn't been professional enough and he hasn't stepped up to the plate.

I also never directly compared him to Locky, the point was made though, and more than reasonably, that to a point you cant blame his failings on others. It would have helped him having a good 7 beside him, but its no excuse for his form. He has been good at times, decent at others, but he hasnt been consistently the player he can be in his time at the Broncos. He has the capability to be in the top bracket of five eighths in the game, he has the ability to carry this side as well if he puts his mind to it, and since 2015, he just hasn't. So it isn't scapegoating, as i said before, its people seeing what he is capable of and understandably being critical of him when he doesnt consistently reach the heights he can reach.

I think Turpin at 9 is going to have a bigger impact on Milford. Whether it comes direct or via Croft, I am expecting the ball to arrive in his hands a little faster and with a little more forethought.

But none of this matters if he continues to waste fifth tackle options on bombs that no one bothers chasing, and if he makes a dash for the line and there's no one in support. Maybe that will be Croft. I hope so.

I think Turpin at 9 is going to have a bigger impact on Milford. Whether it comes direct or via Croft, I am expecting the ball to arrive in his hands a little faster and with a little more forethought.

But none of this matters if he continues to waste fifth tackle options on bombs that no one bothers chasing, and if he makes a dash for the line and there's no one in support. Maybe that will be Croft. I hope so.

Milf just needs to simplify his game again. He has the quality to be a very dangerous player.

Milf just needs to simplify his game again. He has the quality to be a very dangerous player.
That sounds sensible, like something Phil Gould might say. But isn't our attack already way too simple?

I never mentioned the money he is on. His salary is irrelevant to me. I said he set his standards ( which he did in 2015 ) and he hasn't lived up to the standards he set. Simple as that really. He has improved his kicking game, and yet has declined as a player despite adding more to his arsenal. He has to take a portion of the blame for it. He has put on weight, he hasn't been professional enough and he hasn't stepped up to the plate.

I also never directly compared him to Locky, the point was made though, and more than reasonably, that to a point you cant blame his failings on others. It would have helped him having a good 7 beside him, but its no excuse for his form. He has been good at times, decent at others, but he hasnt been consistently the player he can be in his time at the Broncos. He has the capability to be in the top bracket of five eighths in the game, he has the ability to carry this side as well if he puts his mind to it, and since 2015, he just hasn't. So it isn't scapegoating, as i said before, its people seeing what he is capable of and understandably being critical of him when he doesnt consistently reach the heights he can reach.

What you said in your later post is what matters: "Milf just needs to simplify his game again. He has the quality to be a very dangerous player."

With Croft and Turps in the spine I am sure he will be exactly what we need, one of the very best 5/8's. Can't wait.

Hopefully him and isaako can bring back the support play from 2015.

Active Now

• Skathen
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Santa
  • Scorchie
  • Sproj
  • bert_lifts
  • Broncosarethebest
  • barker
  • BruiserMk1
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.