Milford's weight

It was the comparison. Pushkin made a good comparison and got my interest.

Besides as you said you basically call all the players fat before the season, even when they're in the best shape of his life (like Hunt in the 2014 pre-season...he didn't magically become fit over-night haha).

On top of that, since when have you ever had trouble giving yourself a pat on the back? :biggrin: Who couldn't see the 'I warned you guys at the start of the season and you ***** didn't listen...' line coming?

Anyways, it's an interesting narrative to follow and I'm sure it will be a talking point at some stage of the season.

Pushkin didn't look at a distorted photo and make his judgement based on that.

The thing with photos, there is a thing called the distortion effect. Plays tricks with your eyes.

Videos can do the same, because the lenses aren't flat. They are round. Video can also make someone look slower.

Besides as you said you basically call all the players fat before the season, even when they're in the best shape of his life (like Hunt in the 2014 pre-season...he didn't magically become fit over-night haha).

I don't call all the players fat, what? Barba, Milford & Thaiday are the only ones I've questioned weight wise, apart from Hunt, which wasn't really weight related and more so just lack of an NRL body earlier in his career. And also, what do you mean best shape of his life? He said himself that he was in horrible shape which is why he cut out the booze and changed his diet in the 2014 off-season..

On top of that, since when have you ever had trouble giving yourself a pat on the back? :biggrin: Who couldn't see the 'I warned you guys at the start of the season and you ***** didn't listen...' line coming?

No idea what this is in reference to, I've never said that and I rarely give myself a pat on the back, you must have me confused with Bull Shark.

Pushkin didn't look at a distorted photo and make his judgement based on that.

The thing with photos, there is a thing called the distortion effect. Plays tricks with your eyes.

Videos can do the same, because the lenses aren't flat. They are round. Video can also make someone look slower.

Yes Super Freak, I solely base my criticism of a players weight on their image in a distorted photo.. God you spit some crap.

I go to 4-5 games a year, and I can tell you that the Milford I'm watching right now is a much plumper & slower version of the one I saw in 2014 & 2015, similarly to the Barba I watched in 2014 being a much plumper & slower version of 2012 Barba.

Edit: Oh hang on, I forgot that this is BroncosHQ, the only place in the world where you can't have an opinion without a 500 word synopsis and 5 terabytes of game footage with side by side comparisons to back up your claims. Disregard everything I've said.

Edit: Oh hang on, I forgot that this is BroncosHQ, the only place in the world where you can't have an opinion without a 500 word synopsis and 5 terabytes of game footage with side by side comparisons to back up your claims. Disregard everything I've said.

Are you still having a whinge about my comment in the Hunt to St George thread?

It's weird how we let the guy who has won us premierships get away with things, isn't it?
Doesn't make the guy that won us premierships infalible. If it's bad under Hook, it's bad under Wayne.
It's like it's a sin to criticise Wayne or certain players here, regardless of the merits of said criticism.

Regardless, the topic is about Milford being too heavy for his footy style. Being Samoan, he will indeed have a tendency to have a bigger build, but is he too beefed up?
I do think so, because he loses some of his X-factor!
On the other hand, people who are more concerned about a halves defense than his attacking ability, shouldn't be too concerned, since it will help him containg the bigger men thrown at him continuously...

Are you still having a whinge about my comment in the Hunt to St George thread?

No idea what comment you're referring to, I'm just speaking in general, this place turns in to a shit hole sometimes, you literally aren't allowed an opinion unless you've got irrefutable evidence to back it up, it's absurd.

Doesn't make the guy that won us premierships infalible. If it's bad under Hook, it's bad under Wayne.
It's like it's a sin to criticise Wayne or certain players here, regardless of the merits of said criticism.

Regardless, the topic is about Milford being too heavy for his footy style. Being Samoan, he will indeed have a tendency to have a bigger build, but is he too beefed up?
I do think so, because he loses some of his X-factor!
On the other hand, people who are more concerned about a halves defense than his attacking ability, shouldn't be too concerned, since it will help him containg the bigger men thrown at him continuously...
It's a really strange comparison to draw. Hook was known for wanting big players, everyone was fattened up under his regime. Aside from Milford, who has been "fattened up" under WB? The argument against hook wasn't that he wanted specific players bulked, it's that he wanted everyone to be bulked up. The criticism was at his ideals of player weight, not his management of specific player's weights.

It's a really strange comparison to draw. Hook was known for wanting big players, everyone was fattened up under his regime. Aside from Milford, who has been "fattened up" under WB? The argument against hook wasn't that he wanted specific players bulked, it's that he wanted everyone to be bulked up. The criticism was at his ideals of player weight, not his management of specific player's weights.
When did he say that? And who, other than a few specific players were actually bulked under his regime?

When did he say that? And who, other than a few specific players were actually bulked under his regime?

It was pretty well reported. There were numerous quotes at the time, right down to twitter conversations between players where Glenn I think it was was advising Maranta how to retain water so he would be heavier at weigh in.

There were multiple threads on this very forum, let's not go all revisionist history just because you spot a chance to have a dig at Bennett.

I've no idea if Milford is overweight or not but he does look slower.

In any case he is getting a ton of traffic thrown at him in defence nowadays, the Cowboys were going there consistently the other night. He may have missed a tackle or two but he made plenty as well and put on a great shot later in the game so his technique isn't all bad.

I would suggest that the extra workload he is doing in defence with every team running at him has a part to play. Locky took years to adjust to a change of position too.

Yet Milford still created most of our tries the other night, so I am from writing him off just yet...

I've no idea if Milford is overweight or not but he does look slower.

In any case he is getting a ton of traffic thrown at him in defence nowadays, the Cowboys were going there consistently the other night. He may have missed a tackle or two but he made plenty as well and put on a great shot later in the game so his technique isn't all bad.

I would suggest that the extra workload he is doing in defence with every team running at him has a part to play. Locky took years to adjust to a change of position too.

Yet Milford still created most of our tries the other night, so I am from writing him off just yet...
Which night he created tries? Cowboys match Ben Hunt kick create 2 tries for broncos.

It was pretty well reported. There were numerous quotes at the time, right down to twitter conversations between players where Glenn I think it was was advising Maranta how to retain water so he would be heavier at weigh in.

There were multiple threads on this very forum, let's not go all revisionist history just because you spot a chance to have a dig at Bennett.
Yeah, do you have factual information other than rumours?

So sorry if the fact I don't have unconditional love for Bennett, and think he has flaws, upsets your sensibilities...

Yeah, do you have factual information other than rumours?

So sorry if the fact I don't have unconditional love for Bennett, and think he has flaws, upsets your sensibilities...

I don't think he is infallible and i actually don't agree with how he has bulked up Milford. But I wasn't the one that came out with generalised statements making it sound like he was pushing the griffin bulk regime on the entire team. A regime that was unquestionably happening at the time, so much so it was a walking punchline on this very forum. Now because Bennett has seemingly bulked up one player for their transition into the halves I all of a sudden need to prove griffins bulking regime?

Please.

It's not even a question, Griffin wanted 17 forward sized players in the team. It's no coincidence that he favours players like Peachey & Blake in the centres at Penrith, they're virtually 2 extra forwards at his disposal.

He seems to have learned from his mistakes though, there isn't really any "bulked" spine players at the Panthers, they all look to be playing at their ideal weight.

I'm of the opinion that in today's game you need your 1, 6, 7 at their absolute lowest playable body weight to maximise longevity and sustained involvement throughout the game / season. There's examples all over the place of spine players being heavier than need be who fade in and out of games, the one immediately jumps to mind is Hayne right now. He had to move to the wing for a spell multiple times last week due to lack of energy, he's probably still playing 3-5 kg's above his optimal weight (Whatever he was in 2014)

I don't think he is infallible and i actually don't agree with how he has bulked up Milford. But I wasn't the one that came out with generalised statements making it sound like he was pushing the griffin bulk regime on the entire team. A regime that was unquestionably happening at the time, so much so it was a walking punchline on this very forum. Now because Bennett has seemingly bulked up one player for their transition into the halves I all of a sudden need to prove griffins bulking regime?

Please.
Who did that?

Btw, I seem to recall that walking punchline being based on rumours and player appearance, not actual and factual information, but I might be wrong...

He made a break through broken feild on Friday night and should have run 90 meters to score but was mowed down quickly and easily by Coote. At the time I was out of my seat punching the air because at one stage in his career he was home and hosed but he did look slow and Coote caught him in a couple of meters and shut it down. Seeing these half breaks is a good sign though, I remember at the start of 2015 he looked a bit sluggish too and was making a lot of half breaks looking dangerous but not quite pulling it off... Then he exploded! What I've seen so far this season is similar, new attacking structures, a bit of pre season tightness... He'll be right

Who did that?

Btw, I seem to recall that walking punchline being based on rumours and player appearance, not actual and factual information, but I might be wrong...

In an interview with Jharal Yow Yeh a couple of months ago Korbin was saying that Hook used to make Tariq wake up every night and eat several kilos of ham to try and bulk him up.

Whilst it may have actually benefited Tariq, that's just one example of Griffin trying to "bulk" his players up.

Active Now

• NSW stables
  • Kev_Guz
  • Santa
  • bert_lifts
  • Xzei
  • Johnny92
  • Skathen
  • ezpz
  • winslow_wong
  • Sproj
  • Astro
  • Battler
  • Foordy
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.