Milford's weight

In an interview with Jharal Yow Yeh a couple of months ago Korbin was saying that Hook used to make Tariq wake up every night and eat several kilos of ham to try and bulk him up.

Whilst it may have actually benefited Tariq, that's just one example of Griffin trying to "bulk" his players up.
At least it wasn't KFC... :biggrin:

Yes, I recall that being mentioned about Tariq, and of course Thaiday was also rumoured, but as you said, it was probably to Tariq's benefit, while Thaiday has always had a chubby look to him.
Nevertheless, I'm sure he did that, and most coaches probably do the same to some players. Whether it's effective is a question still unanswered... some players thrive under it, others not so much.

Regardless, other than the above and Barba, I can't recall players being so bulked up under Hook, that it actually hindered them. Still, from there to the conclusion that it was a regime for everyone, was only a quick step as it often happens on BHQ en other media...

At least it wasn't KFC... :biggrin:

Yes, I recall that being mentioned about Tariq, and of course Thaiday was also rumoured, but as you said, it was probably to Tariq's benefit, while Thaiday has always had a chubby look to him.
Nevertheless, I'm sure he did that, and most coaches probably do the same to some players. Whether it's effective is a question still unanswered... some players thrive under it, others not so much.

Regardless, other than the above and Barba, I can't recall players being so bulked up under Hook, that it actually hindered them. Still, from there to the conclusion that it was a regime for everyone, was only a quick step as it often happens on BHQ en other media...

Not sure if it was by design, but whilst Vidot was good for us, he was clearly at least 6-7 kg heavier than a winger should be, he was bigger than some props were.

Gagai was the first time it came across like an issue since his inability to meet Hook's standards is what led him to be released. It was argued that his ideal playing weight was lighter than what Hook wanted and that it created tension between him and the club and they couldn't resolve it. Hook wanted a Josh Mansour/Corey Oates type of winger who is capable of strong carries in your own half and can hit the advantage line and make post-contact metres. Gagai wasn't that type of player and needed speed, foot-work and skill to make the most of his ability.

Unbreakable said:
No idea what this is in reference to, I've never said that and I rarely give myself a pat on the back, you must have me confused with Bull Shark.

Haha, you're taking this way too seriously. Point was, I knew you'd give yourself a pat on the back and you didn't let me down. Whether past form had anything to do with it I'll leave up to the others...

As for Hunt, I think you've got your timeline mixed up. Basically since he's been a starting half, his weight has never been a concern.

What amuses me is that in a multi squillion $ sport, paying a squillion to coaches, trainers, conditioners, strategists etc etc, one would assume that the objective was to have each player at peak physical condition for the role expected of and for them, and that role is very specific to the position on the field, and the player's physical "type". I mean, Milford is not Corey Oates.

What does the club expect from Milford? Is Milford's weight as the Bronco's 5/8 his responsibility or the club's?

Anyway, I read somewhere that Locky was 178 cms and weighed around 84kgs - that sounds like the right height to weight ratio to me, almost the same as Usain Bolt's 195/95. How quick would Bolt be with an extra 3 kg?

Like I said, what does the club expect from Milford and whose responsibility is it for his fitness

Last edited:
What amuses me is that in a multi squillion $ sport, paying a squillion to coaches, trainers, conditioners, strategists etc etc, one would assume that the objective was to have each player at peak physical condition for the role expected of and for them, and that role is very specific to the position on the field, and the player's physical "type". I mean, Milford is not Corey Oates.

What does the club expect from Milford? Is Milford's weight as the Bronco's 5/8 his responsibility or the club's?

Anyway, I read somewhere that Locky was 178 cms and weighed around 84kgs - that sounds like the right height to weight ratio to me, almost the same as Usain Bolt's 195/95. How quick would Bolt be with an extra 3 kg?

Like I said, what does the club expect from Milford and whose responsibility is it for his fitness
The club fitness people do best they can but it's up to player. They should know if weight is effect them playing.

Haha, you're taking this way too seriously. Point was, I knew you'd give yourself a pat on the back and you didn't let me down. Whether past form had anything to do with it I'll leave up to the others..

Pointing out that I noticed and brought up his weight gain before it became a hot topic isn't really a pat on the back, more so an observation, it's not a revelation that he's playing way too heavy, the transition started a couple of years ago as your figures show.

Wow @Pushkin that was a really good observation. +1 for bringing it to BHQ's attention.

I'd like to see Milford get in the clear at this weight, I think he'd still be pretty quick. One issue I have is he will step inside two or three times instead of beating the first defender and then straightening up and running through the huge gap he's made for himself. Does anyone think his size actually helps with his defense?

Now that is an interesting comparison.

According to Pete's first page numbers, Milford was 176cm & 85kg in his rookie season at Canberra, he's now 93kg.

To put that in retrospect, Milford was at a 27 BMI in his rookie season, he's now out to a 30 BMI (Technically obese, although one would hope his BF% is decent)

For Bolt to gain 3 BMI points he would have to put on 11 kg's. You can only imagine how much that would completely ruin his speed. That's just way too much weight to put on to a professional athlete who relies on quickness, makes me sad that we might be diminishing the peak years of his speed and agility because of it :(

Now that is an interesting comparison.

According to Pete's first page numbers, Milford was 176cm & 85kg in his rookie season at Canberra, he's now 93kg.

To put that in retrospect, Milford was at a 27 BMI in his rookie season, he's now out to a 30 BMI (Technically obese, although one would hope his BF% is decent)

For Bolt to gain 3 BMI points he would have to put on 11 kg's. You can only imagine how much that would completely ruin his speed. That's just way too much weight to put on to a professional athlete who relies on quickness, makes me sad that we might be diminishing the peak years of his speed and agility because of it :(
But speed isn't the only asset the trainers need to take into account. He needs to not be a speed bump, he needs strength to break tackles. Milford isn't fat. Look at Inglis, how skinny was he in his rookie season? A few years later and he was a monster. I think for Milford the answer is somewhere in between though.

Does anyone think his size actually helps with his defense?

At the moment, I'd have to say it's a hindrance. The way Chad Townsend was easily able to swoop past him negated whatever power he may have been able to generate to hold a ball carrier up before a Thaiday or Moga would come into help him.

The issue is his technique and if he doesn't fix that up Melbourne are going to have a field day on Thursday.

As I wrote last season, he started the year at 90kg and was arguably the best player in the competition at that time. I think that 88-90kg mark would see him play to the best of his ability.

But speed isn't the only asset the trainers need to take into account. He needs to not be a speed bump, he needs strength to break tackles. Milford isn't fat. Look at Inglis, how skinny was he in his rookie season? A few years later and he was a monster. I think for Milford the answer is somewhere in between though.

Absolutely, if he's 93 right now and was 85 in Canberra, I think a good middle ground would be ~87, he wasn't exactly "small" in Canberra, just didn't have a lot of muscle on him.

As I've said a million times, being slightly bigger to help in 1 on 1 tackles with props is nice to have, but if it hinders every other facet of his game, which is what we're paying him the big $$ to do, it's simply not worth it, I'd rather him be one of the worst defenders in the league and the best attacker in the league than average at both..

No idea what comment you're referring to, I'm just speaking in general, this place turns in to a shit hole sometimes, you literally aren't allowed an opinion unless you've got irrefutable evidence to back it up, it's absurd.

You are most definitely allowed to have an opinion. But people are also allowed to have an opinion about your opinion and when you make claims such as a player is overweight or comment on the amount of times a player kicks the ball into the legs of an opponent, some people may want you to back it up.

It's just the way it is.

I remember Maranta talking in an interview about how much weight Griffin wanted him to put on and he felt it had diminished his famed (but never evident) speed.

Gagai was the first time it came across like an issue since his inability to meet Hook's standards is what led him to be released. It was argued that his ideal playing weight was lighter than what Hook wanted and that it created tension between him and the club and they couldn't resolve it. Hook wanted a Josh Mansour/Corey Oates type of winger who is capable of strong carries in your own half and can hit the advantage line and make post-contact metres. Gagai wasn't that type of player and needed speed, foot-work and skill to make the most of his ability.

That's so stupid by Griffin. The best wingers use footwork at the line to make metres out of their own end.

Gagai makes so many metres for Newcastle from dummy half coming out of their own end (yes I know he plays centre).

Considering one of the best running halves in the game is only 1kg lighter than him, I don't see it as much of a problem.

Morgan isn't a manlet though. He's considerably taller than Milford.

Milford can have one of the best running games in the comp. But for whatever reason, it hasn't been as effective as it was before midway through last year.

The club fitness people do best they can but it's up to player. They should know if weight is effect them playing.

Well, if I was the conditioner/trainer, and my players were under performing because they were overweight, I would say to them: next time I catch you in Mrs Chekhov's Cherry Orchard eating MacPutins with the Brothers Karamazov, it's the ISC for you (the Icy Siberian Cup).

At the moment, I'd have to say it's a hindrance. The way Chad Townsend was easily able to swoop past him negated whatever power he may have been able to generate to hold a ball carrier up before a Thaiday or Moga would come into help him.

The issue is his technique and if he doesn't fix that up Melbourne are going to have a field day on Thursday.

As I wrote last season, he started the year at 90kg and was arguably the best player in the competition at that time. I think that 88-90kg mark would see him play to the best of his ability.

I think you are probably right, but we have take into account that he is maturing and undoubtedly his body shape and composition is changing as he matures, it maybe be a little higher. Also, if there has been more of an emphasis on him doing strength training, that will also impact upon both his physical size and weight.

What would be of more interest is if there has been any noticeable change in his times over 20, 50 and 100 metres. I can remember our school football coach making the point that quite a few powerlifters were very quick off the mark and for a short distance because of their greater power to weight ratio. If there in fact has been no significant decrease in his sprint times, it all maybe a matter of perception or misperception.

I remember Maranta talking in an interview about how much weight Griffin wanted him to put on and he felt it had diminished his famed (but never evident) speed.

From a Chris Garry article when Penrith signed Griffin:

'Players like Ben Barba, Lachlan Maranta and Josh Hoffman struggled with the added weight and his micro managing of players’ lives and disciplinarian style was referred to as “military like”.'

Could only imagine what would've happened had Milford been around. We'd have a mini Kasiano in the halves

Active Now

• Fozz
  • Dash
  • Mr Fourex
  • Foordy
  • theshed
  • MrMoore
  • Xzei
  • Broncorob
  • Jazza
  • Sproj
  • levikaden
  • Bish
  • LittleDavey
  • The True King
  • Morepudding
  • Johnny92
  • bb_gun
  • Manofoneway
  • Culhwch
... and 7 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.