OPINION Most improved Broncos player in 2023

Which player do you think is the most improved player in the Broncos team?

• Selwyn Cobbo

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Adam Reynolds

• Kurt Capewell

• Patrick Carrigan

• Tyson Smoothy

• Kobe Hetherington

• Corey Oates

• Tristan Sailor

• Martin Taupau

• Corey Paix

• Corey Jensen

• Jock Madden

• Total voters
Mustafur

Mustafur

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Jun 13, 2019
I'll allow 3 votes because it's probably not straight forward on this.

For me the most improved player is Walsh even though he didn't play for us last year he has definitely improved the most on what he showed previously, going from a highly skilled player who could barely pull it off to one of the best players in the game.

Other notables would be Palasia with a huge gain on his ball playing ability to the point if he can maintain that at Titans I think he is on par with the likes of Hopgood for QLD selection and Piakura showing why we took the faith on him years ago showing fruit, looks to be ones of the most dynamic running backrowers in the game.

I think Flegler and Herbie had their break out seasons where they hit that level of out and out stars but if we are purely measuring improvement from last season until now it is hard to go past Riki, Billy, and Palasia. They probably had the most room to for improvement but to their credit they came a long way.

Unfortunate that 2 of them combined to make the wrong choice in the gf and let that last try in but shit happens. 1 of them specifically, previous biggest flaw was switching off at marker or after a tackle and they had mostly got that out of their game right up until it mattered most.

I think Flegler and Herbie had their break out seasons where they hit that level of out and out stars but if we are purely measuring improvement from last season until now it is hard to go past Riki, Billy, and Palasia. They probably had the most room to for improvement but to their credit they came a long way.

Unfortunate that 2 of them combined to make the wrong choice in the gf and let that last try in but shit happens. 1 of them specifically, previous biggest flaw was switching off at marker or after a tackle and they had mostly got that out of their game right up until it mattered most.
You know what else seemed to disappear in the grand final: The Reynolds bomb and hard Riki chase. I was waiting for it so many times, but it never happened.

So many choices. Haas went to another level. Walsh improved out of sight, Walters went from fringe first grader to a genuinely good 9. That's my 3 votes but a few others had incredible rises.

Arthars was an absolute gun, Riki was great.
Herbie and Felgs also had their best ever seasons.

I've gone Walsh, Riki and Billy... but shout out to Jesse and Palasia as well who have cemented themselves as genuine first graders

Walsh probably takes it for me though... he went from a player with huge potential, but a lot of polish still needed. In the fullbacks ranking at the start of the year he would've been behind; Ponga, Teddy, Turbo, Latrell, Edwards, Gutho (in terms of consistency), Papy, Kennedy (maybe??) and maybe more... there were probably calls when he signed that they weren't quite sure given what TMM had just provided us for the year.

By the end of the year he's in the conversation for best in his position... in the most stacked position across the league... and is potentially pushing for a Top 5 or Top 10 player in the comp. He's gone from player with plenty of potential to out and out gun and seems to still have infinite potential ahead of him.

So many choices. Haas went to another level. Walsh improved out of sight, Walters went from fringe first grader to a genuinely good 9. That's my 3 votes but a few others had incredible rises.

Arthars was an absolute gun, Riki was great.
Herbie and Felgs also had their best ever seasons.
Yeah Reynolds kicking game was weird. Obviously some kind of attempt to limit the back 3s metres but that obviously didn’t work

Overall the most improved was Billy Walters. he turned himself for a fringe level player to a quality starting hooker.

Arthars was the second most improved, showing the types of performance not many thought he could do. he turned him self from a fringe play and basically injury cover, to earning his place on the flank for the GF (in a fully fit side)

Riki had a breakout season, showing the types of performances (and consistency) that most thought he was capable of and have been waiting for since Fifita took the cash at the Titans.

I've gone Walsh, Riki and Billy... but shout out to Jesse and Palasia as well who have cemented themselves as genuine first graders

Walsh probably takes it for me though... he went from a player with huge potential, but a lot of polish still needed. In the fullbacks ranking at the start of the year he would've been behind; Ponga, Teddy, Turbo, Latrell, Edwards, Gutho (in terms of consistency), Papy, Kennedy (maybe??) and maybe more... there were probably calls when he signed that they weren't quite sure given what TMM had just provided us for the year.

By the end of the year he's in the conversation for best in his position... in the most stacked position across the league... and is potentially pushing for a Top 5 or Top 10 player in the comp. He's gone from player with plenty of potential to out and out gun and seems to still have infinite potential ahead of him.

He has a lot of 1 % ers to work on .
eg following the ball if it is tapped back . Positioning as a full back in general .Not kicking the ball dead . Knowing when to hold em and when to fold em .
Those things led to a GF loss .

I voted Billy , Keenan and Willison .
I thought they all improved and enhanced the team .

It's Ezra, Billy and Walsh, quite comfortably

Billy, easily most improved. Went to another 10 levels above.

Riki, that pressure and kick chase?! Best in the NRL. Line running improved, can’t wait to see him in 2024

Mam, most tries by a 5/8 in a season, in the history of the game. Great support and off the cuff play

You know what else seemed to disappear in the grand final: The Reynolds bomb and hard Riki chase. I was waiting for it so many times, but it never happened.

TBF we weren't able to get close enough to their line to put up those bombs. You have to be in their half to give the chasers a chance to be on them.

It only amounted to one game, but Jordan Pereira was so much better than any other time in his career.

Even his one game I thought he was excellent but QRL winger of the year, Souths back of the year and could have won the Broncos clubman of the year because he was last to leave training every day working with the NRL guys and and first at Souths training when he had to go there on a Friday night.

15 tries up from seven.
16 line breaks up from eight
129 tackle breaks up from 58
3374 runs metres up from 1854m

The young Broncos love him and love playing with him.

Active Now

• Midean
  • Waynesaurus
  • Morkel
  • sooticus
  • Big Del
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Mister Wright
  • Wolfie
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Socnorb
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Bucking Beads
  • Old Mate
  • Tmac
  • Fatboy
  • simplythebest
  • Lozza
  • achievedrap
  • Organix
... and 10 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.