Most improved player under the Bennett Regime

• Thread starter MaroubraBroncos
  • Start date
MaroubraBroncos

MaroubraBroncos

QCup Player
Oct 15, 2013
Just wondering who you thought was the most improved player under uncle Wayne. I think mine would be Alex Glen. He is absolutely killing it at the moment. Topping most run meters for a forward and hitting the line hard!

Maranta for mine. He's gone from a player who I wanted gone, to a player I'm sad to see not playing this week. He's become a very important part of this team, and credit to him for that.

Two way tie between Glenn & Maranta, they've both been extremely good this year.

Leaning towards Maranta myself. While Glenn has improved, I think he's more benefiting from some quality ball this season.

Sam Thaiday.

Produced his best performance in years against the Roosters and outside of his performances against Souths and North Queensland has made a genuine impact in each game he's played. I don't think he was as bad as what people said but Bennett is getting more value out of Sam's skill-set and Sam is stepping up to the mark.

Kahu and Oates are the other contenders.

Although in the case of Kahu I don't think it's directly linked to Bennett, rather the fortune of being relatively injury free. I also don't think it's a coincidence that Glenn is playing well having a genuine five eighth inside of him. Given his best season was 2012 when he had Corey Norman inside of him, I think it says more about Milford than Bennett.

Gillett's defence is a stand out. Thanks Wayne.

All that is necessary now is for Matt to get the same amount of ball and quality that Glenn gets from Milford.

Adding to that list:

Jarrod Wallace. All of a sudden an genuine impact prop off the bench.

Hard to go past Kahu and Maranta though.

Our back three are just rock solid, finishing off opportunities, playing some razzle dazzle.

Disagree on Wallace.

He's Anderson 2.0 at the moment. Always good for at least one really bad mistake or penalty and doesn't do enough to make up for it.

Disagree on Wallace.

He's Anderson 2.0 at the moment. Always good for at least one really bad mistake or penalty and doesn't do enough to make up for it.

Yeah, he looks like a player who has coasted his entire life, being picked just because he's big enough to go there. Either that or he's just not ready to play in the top grade.

Disagree on Wallace.

The referees must see him as an easy target because honestly the penalties I can remember have been rubbish.

For me, an in no particular order:

Lachie - what can i say. This kid is finally starting to show the potential Broncos powerbrokers have hoped for ever since his was a young toddler running around in he's grandfather Brett Plowmans backyard.Whilst not having the sizzling speed of some other wingers in the comp, what he lacks in pace, is more than made up for in he's incredible athletic ability and will to win. As a sidenote, also has one of the highest leaps in the nrl (as seen in an earlier game when his leaped up an blocked a field gold attempt over the height of the cross bar on the gold post).

Slammin Sam - still hurting from being dumped as captain , Sam has shown tremendous determination to fight he's way back into the first grade side after the humilation of being dropped to the bench early in the season. A real crowd an fan favorite, Sam is doing all he can to try an change WBs mind an get that 'c' back beside he's name where it belongs.

Jack Reed - a much maligned player, Jack is making all posts a winner in 2015 under WBs tutelage. Known by Broncos insiders as 'Mr. Football' , due to he's photographic memory of rugby statistics, Reed ticks many of the boxes demanded by WB and on he's current trajectory, Reed may very well find hisself donning the blue, white an red of Great Britian again at the end of the year.

For me its Maranta. He has worked really hard and done a great job for the team. I would still drop him for Oates and have Kahu in the other wing though. Difference is between now and last season is that I would actually feel bad about it.

Thaiday first, it's a world of difference between the Thaiday of last and this year.

Second, definitely Maranta. He has improved tenfold and performs better on the left wing than I ever thought he would, so credit to himself and Wayne for that.

Third, Gillett's defense has improved out of sight, but like rna said, he still needs to get quality ball in attack to be the player he can be.

Oates, Kahu and Glenn already had the quality in them to be honest, but Alex is certainly benefitting a lot from the Milford factor.

I don't think Maranta is any different but seems to be appreciated a bit more. Thaiday is the most improved. Oates and Maranta are no different in my eyes. Gillett has improved as well. There is a case to say that Blair has improved as well and certainly contrasted with his recent history.

I'm going to say nobody, not to any great degree anyway. The thing for me is that they're playing to their potential. None have been improved to a degree that they've never lifted too. Except Maranta, however he showed a similar improvement last year, so it's not like WB just flicked a switch in him.

For mine, Bennett's improvement has been simply in the teamwork, not individual players or their traits. Glenn has always had the ability to be explosive at the line. Thaiday has always been able to rip & tear. But like a well orchestrated... um... orchestra, they're now able to do it in synch and in time and that subtle fine-tuning is what's making the difference.

I like Pete's shout out for Thaiday.

He's playing some of the best footy of his career and I think WB is responsible for it. He's installing belief back into Thaiday about where his role lies within the team and how important it is that we get that from him week to week.

Dumbass penalty rate has gone down too since WB had a crack at him earlier in the year.

I'm going to say nobody, not to any great degree anyway. The thing for me is that they're playing to their potential. None have been improved to a degree that they've never lifted too. Except Maranta, however he showed a similar improvement last year, so it's not like WB just flicked a switch in him.

For mine, Bennett's improvement has been simply in the teamwork, not individual players or their traits. Glenn has always had the ability to be explosive at the line. Thaiday has always been able to rip & tear. But like a well orchestrated... um... orchestra, they're now able to do it in synch and in time and that subtle fine-tuning is what's making the difference.

While I agree with you completely about Bennett's crucial work in creating a team where everyone plays for each other, I am unsure of what you mean in your comments about individual players.

Like, I cannot agree with your view that everyone is playing to their potential, yet while you say there has been minimal improvement in any one player. To play to one's potential to me means playing at your absolute best. I think only a handful of the team are doing that at the moment. Do you mean potential at this moment in time, or in general?

For mine, Milford and Gillett, Boyd and Vidot raise question marks. Milford is playing to his potential at this point in time and I feel there is much more to come. I also feel that Bennett has been critical in Milford's clear progress/improvement in his role at 5/8.

As one example, Gillett's quality in defence has improved enormously IMO, his technique is a vast improvement on last year's. He's now our 2nd top tackler, and in the NRL's top 20. At the same time, his running game and ball playing are seriously under-utilizd for mine, so he is clearly not, or rather, unable to play to his potential. Gillett is capable of so much more than we have seen from him in attack this season. I put that down to Hunt in part, and the game plan in general.

Glenn for example has a much better combination with Milford which is bringing out some very good play from Glenn. I'd like to see Glenn and Gillett swap sides just to see what would happen.

Finally, about Thaiday, surely, if he could always rip and tear as you said, then surely him doing so at long last much be both an improvement and a significant lift in form, brought about by Bennett's influence.

I think Bennett has made a big difference to the performance of a number of key players, most referred to in above posts. The team is playing as a team and for each other - another big improvement as you say. I can only see both improvements in all players games, and energy, lifting to the occasion with most every match.

While I agree with you completely about Bennett's crucial work in creating a team where everyone plays for each other, I am unsure of what you mean in your comments about individual players.

Like, I cannot agree with your view that everyone is playing to their potential, yet while you say there has been minimal improvement in any one player. To play to one's potential to me means playing at your absolute best. I think only a handful of the team are doing that at the moment. Do you mean potential at this moment in time, or in general?

For mine, Milford and Gillett, Boyd and Vidot raise question marks. Milford is playing to his potential at this point in time and I feel there is much more to come. I also feel that Bennett has been critical in Milford's clear progress/improvement in his role at 5/8.

As one example, Gillett's quality in defence has improved enormously IMO, his technique is a vast improvement on last year's. He's now our 2nd top tackler, and in the NRL's top 20. At the same time, his running game and ball playing are seriously under-utilizd for mine, so he is clearly not, or rather, unable to play to his potential. Gillett is capable of so much more than we have seen from him in attack this season. I put that down to Hunt in part, and the game plan in general.

Glenn for example has a much better combination with Milford which is bringing out some very good play from Glenn. I'd like to see Glenn and Gillett swap sides just to see what would happen.

Finally, about Thaiday, surely, if he could always rip and tear as you said, then surely him doing so at long last much be both an improvement and a significant lift in form, brought about by Bennett's influence.

I think Bennett has made a big difference to the performance of a number of key players, most referred to in above posts. The team is playing as a team and for each other - another big improvement as you say. I can only see both improvements in all players games, and energy, lifting to the occasion with most every match.

My point being that Thaiday and Glenn both showed this sort of form circa 2011 (when Bennett was not their coach). They both dropped off dramatically, and Bennett has restored them to that same form, but they have not exceeded that form from 4 years ago. Yet. So I can't say that he's improved them, at least in terms of their peak. Consistency, yes, but no one is playing better than they ever have before (again, except Maranta).

Active Now

• RolledOates
  • Broncorob
  • Lostboy
  • mitch222
  • HarryAllan7
  • MrTickyMcG
  • FaceOfMutiny
  • Johnny92
  • Galah
  • Mister Wright
  • Browny
  • Sproj
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.