Neil Henry quits Maroons post to focus on North Queensland

Coxy said:
Or recognising that a particular winger comes in a long way and thus leaves them open to a cross field kick early...little things like that which as players they may not notice but are more than capable of exploiting if it's pointed out.

That's where I think Neil Henry was very valuable to Queensland.
true, but i think the combination of Lockyer/Thurston/Smith have enough awareness to notice these things. how many times have we seen lockyer put the kick behind the winger whos come in? or smith do the little chip through for slater when the fullbacks standing too far back?

having a coach/assistant coach that also picks up these 'off the ball' things is advantageous, but i think when youve got the best 6/7/9 going around, finding weaknesses in the opposition isnt really one of your weak points.

Yes I'm talking about preparation. Video review. Telling the players "Player X has a habit of doing this, watch for it" etc. The players wouldn't necessarily watch that week in, week out.

On Sports Today last night (4BC), Salty was saying that his mail is Bennett will definitely not be Henry's replacement ... but it will be someone currently coaching in the NRL who has previous experience with the Qld Origin team on and off the field; but he didn't want to name names just yet. From the way he was talking I also got the impression that it isn't someone already on Meninga's coaching team. Now there aren't many who meet that criteria, so if his mail is correct I can really only assume it will Hagan, which I really hope it isn't.

Hagan doenst coach anymore, so no one really fits PP's mail? Unless he means Gillmeister in his coaching capacity at the Titans? Maybe John Lang?

Gilly or Lang would be good. Gilly's footy brain is underrated IMO.

I would be surprised if Souths let Lang do it in his first season back.

Serious? Hagan has no coahcing role any more? Shit I have been paying less attention to stuff than I thought LOL. Anyway I think Lang would be good - Souths might be OK with it as it will only be an Assistant Coach not Head Coach - but I don't know how he will go basically playing 'second fiddle'. Gilly would go well also

Anonymous person said:
gUt said:
Losing Henry is a slight bummer but it's not like he was scoring our tries. At this level the players don't need coaching per se, just someone to make sure they are combining. I think Matt Elliott or John Lang would be great but would not be upset if it was Bennett or someone from Q Cup.
this.

do you guys really think that Lockyer/Thurston/Smith/Inglis need someone telling them where to go and what to do every single match? Origin is the best of the best, and you dont win 4 years in a row because of an assistant coach.

All they need is someone to make sure theyre motivated and passionate, and Mal seems to be doing the job better than anyone ever has. the players can do the rest.

Not sure so about that - there is no doubt Mal's job is important but another real key to our success has been the technical side of things rather than yelling out 'QUEENSLANDER' and beat on our chests. It might have worked back in the day but in my humble opinion that is why GUS had so much success in origin because for a long time I reckon QLD just tried to "Queenslander" the blues while Gus reeeeally exploited the weaknesses in the maroons - esp in the 02/03/04 ish period and then passed it on to Ricky in 05. Obviously our current crop of players help but if we start to revert back to old passion tactics it won't work.

Coxy said:
I know the Bennett philosophy was always "I don't care what they do I'm only concerned about what we do" but that's incredibly simplistic. You have to have a game plan that counters your opposition...and an alternative game plan if your opposition comes up with a plan that nullifies yours.

That's where I think Neil Henry was very valuable to Queensland.

Exactly! WB wouldn't be the coach he is if he didn't use his philosophy but that is the big flaw in his style IMO. He hardly concentrate's on those little opposition tactics to exploit and those small technicalities. He'd rather give faith to his team which he does for big games sometimes which is just not enough in today's world sometimes unfortunately.

Oh great. "Game plan: go forwward, then give it to JT and Locky".

Well, Hages might go alright since he's not the head coach - just in the background and all. I wouldn't have minded Johnny Lang to be honest but there was no way he was going to do it in the first year @ the Rabbits with so much pressure there to make the 8.

I know its really early but I think the 8 is going to be mighty tough... I think Manly will fall short and that will be the big surprise. Knights won't be there. Eels won't make the top three but MIGHT scrape in at four.

P.S - For Origin if we win game 1 in Sydney there is going to be some MASSIVE, MASSIVE pressure on NSW for game 2. Awesome :mrgreen:

I would have liked to see Gillmeister given a shot tbh

Hagan can just reuse his old origin game plans: 'Whatever you do, no late hits or pressure on the halfback. I can't stress this enough people.'

m1c said:
Hagan can just reuse his old origin game plans: 'Whatever you do, no late hits or pressure on the halfback. I can't stress this enough people.'

[icon_lol1. [icon_lol1. [icon_lol1.

I don't blame Hagan given the fact his team was pretty crap except for that particular NSW no.7, but yeah I never really rated him as a coach. He won a title in his first year with a team he didn't assemble which got no bad injuries all year.

I'm think Hagan will go alright.

I never thought he was a particularly good coach, but he wasn't the worst either. With the team he'll be coaching he will have a hard time stuffing it up.

Not sure he had a crap team either Gymp. Still had the likes of Slater, Lockyer, Thurston, Smith, Civoniceva and Price. Just didn't have the firepower in the outside backs I suppose.

Active Now

• Aldo
  • Dash
  • Fozz
  • Tmac
  • Lurker
  • BroncsNBundy
  • Harry Sack
  • RolledOates
  • GCBRONCO
  • marw
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.