Next Broncos coach

Who should it be?

• Total voters
Why can’t Wayne be treated like an old boy? He doesn’t necessarily need a job at the club but we bring him in once every couple of months to chat with the players and do some guest coaching. Way better than coming in on day one and tearing every poster that has his face on it down. Embrace his legacy, don’t shit on it.

The way he’s carried on since he left though is ruining his legacy as bad as boyd is ruining his. They should’ve given him more respect when they ousted him no one disagrees with that but his ego is bigger than his love of the club right now

The way he’s carried on since he left though is ruining his legacy as bad as boyd is ruining his. They should’ve given him more respect when they ousted him no one disagrees with that but his ego is bigger than his love of the club right now
How so?

Why can’t Wayne be treated like an old boy? He doesn’t necessarily need a job at the club but we bring him in once every couple of months to chat with the players and do some guest coaching. Way better than coming in on day one and tearing every poster that has his face on it down. Embrace his legacy, don’t shit on it.

That coach really made a number of really dumb decisions coming into the club. Taking on the master manipulator was such a stupid decision with no runs on the board.

It would be like Dave Taylor coming in and telling everyone to forget what Shane Webcke did because he is gone and the new big, unproven kid is here.

Great way to get everyone offside after already putting a large number off side by playing the family stress card.

I honestly can't really fathom where the idea that we have to leave Wayne in the past has come from?

The guy is one of a handful of people who could claim to have quite literally built the Broncos as we know them today. He's certainly poured a significant part of his life and career into the place and without a doubt would have a desire to see us succeed long into the future after he's no longer around. To say that person should never again have a place at the club on principle (what principle that is I don't actually know - we shafted him, not the other way around remember) I think is foolish and not based in good objective reasoning. Wayne should be as welcome to apply for any role at the club like any other person in the game and if he is honestly the best person available for that role then I think his Broncos history should only help him in securing a role, certainly not something to be used against him.

I agree that in 2018 I felt it was time to go in a new direction for a Head Coach. Bennett himself even acknowledged that if they could get Craig Bellamy it would serve the club well in the long run and even offered to be part of that transition if the management could get Bellamy over the line. Even when that fell over he still agreed to help us transition to a new Coach that he would actively help to prepare to take over from him. The man obviously recognised even then that he cannot Coach forever and the club needed to think about the long term. What transpired since then was essentially us telling him to get fucked and the fallout from it suggests that the board and management themselves allowed personal ego and grudges to dictate that Wayne had to be removed from the place entirely. I think with the benefit of hindsight given the decisions they made following that, you could well argue they got that call wrong.

If a Coaching Director/Director of Football is a role that can add value to the club, then I can think of almost no person on Earth who would be better placed to fill that role at the Broncos. It would need clear guidelines around who was responsible for what and Wayne would obviously need to respect the Coaches authority and ability to make decisions, but I'm very confident Wayne himself knows he's not coming back here to Coach the football team himself and I think with so many runs on the board we can give him the benefit of the doubt to understand what the role would involve and how he would fit into the place going forward.

If the guy wanted to be a head Coach then he would no doubt still be one of the most in demand going around today, so if he's even considering a role like this it very likely tells you he's ready to take the next step in his career so I'm not sure I buy the whole 'Wayne is too hands on and overbearing' story line. As a Coach I'm sure it's true because that's what he's paid for, but he knows this time around he's filling a different role with different responsibilities.

If Ikin's argument is that no such role should exist, then I'm prepared to accept that, but I think if he was truly objective and there were no other factors at play then the prudent thing to do would come on board first and evaluate the place before making a call on if the role even warrants existing, let alone who should or shouldn't fill that role going forward. He might well be spot on in his evaluation, but personally I'm not a big fan of using your position in the media to rule someone out of a hypothetical role at place you don't work at using the authority of a job you don't actually have.

Last edited:
if WB was prepared to come back in a non-coaching role, i would 100% take him.

the problem is imo, how long would he be hands off for? I feel like after a certain period wayno would get restless again and start forcibly putting his opinion forward and you get another board room struggle at that point.

That coach really made a number of really dumb decisions coming into the club. Taking on the master manipulator was such a stupid decision with no runs on the board.

It would be like Dave Taylor coming in and telling everyone to forget what Shane Webcke did because he is gone and the new big, unproven kid is here.

Great way to get everyone offside after already putting a large number off side by playing the family stress card.
If that happened, it was indeed really dumb, but let's not assume it as fact, shall we?

I am squarely on Ikin's boat in this one. No matter what transpired in the past, Wayne has made it really clear that he wants to coach.
When he was offered the opportunity to do exactly what most people would like him to do (and something I have said for ages would be his best position to benefit the Broncos), he refused. And before this succession plan from WB rears its head, it was nothing but another ego blast from him saying "my way or the highway": I'll be "football director" with my puppet as "head-coach" a couple years from now.

I do not for a second believe Bennett would be able to stop himself from meddling, especially from a position of power over the coach, much in the same way Gould couldn't do it with Griffin.
If Walters is coming in and Wayne wants to help, mobile phone plans with unlimited calling and messaging are pretty cheap nowadays.

the problem is imo, how long would he be hands off for? I feel like after a certain period wayno would get restless again and start forcibly putting his opinion forward and you get another board room struggle at that point.
He could be Qld Coach to keep the juices flowing and still be our head of football. Though there may be some conflict there surrounding selections.

I honestly can't really fathom where the idea that we have to leave Wayne in the past has come from?

The guy is one of a handful of people who could claim to have quite literally built the Broncos as we know them today. He's certainly poured a significant part of his life and career into the place and without a doubt would have a desire to see us succeed long into the future after he's no longer around. To say that person should never again have a place at the club on principle (what principle that is I don't actually know - we shafted him, not the other way around remember) I think is foolish and not based in good objective reasoning. Wayne should be as welcome to apply for any role at the club like any other person in the game and if he is honestly the best person available for that role then I think his Broncos history should only help him in securing a role, certainly not something to be used against him.

I agree that in 2018 I felt it was time to go in a new direction for a Head Coach. Bennett himself even acknowledged that if they could get Craig Bellamy it would serve the club well in the long run and even offered to be part of that transition if the management could get Bellamy over the line. Even when that fell over he still agreed to help us transition to a new Coach that he would actively help to prepare to take over from him. The man obviously recognised even then that he cannot Coach forever and the club needed to think about the long term. What transpired since then was essentially us telling him to get fucked and the fallout from it suggests that the board and management themselves allowed personal ego and grudges to dictate that Wayne had to be removed from the place entirely. I think with the benefit of hindsight given the decisions they made following that, you could well argue they got that call wrong.

If a Coaching Director/Director of Football is a role that can add value to the club, then I can think of almost no person on Earth who would be better placed to fill that role at the Broncos. It would need clear guidelines around who was responsible for what and Wayne would obviously need to respect the Coaches authority and ability to make decisions, but I'm very confident Wayne himself knows he's not coming back here to Coach the football team himself and I think with so many runs on the board we can give him the benefit of the doubt to understand what the role would involve and how he would fit into the place going forward.

If the guy wanted to be a head Coach then he would no doubt still be one of the most in demand going around today, so if he's even considering a role like this it very likely tells you he's ready to take the next step in his career so I'm not sure I buy the whole 'Wayne is too hands on and overbearing' story line. As a Coach I'm sure it's true because that's what he's paid for, but he knows this time around he's filling a different role with different responsibilities.

If Ikin's argument is that no such role should exist, then I'm prepared to accept that, but I think if he was truly objective and there were no other factors at play then the prudent thing to do would come on board first and evaluate the place before making a call on if the role even warrants existing, let alone who should or shouldn't fill that role going forward. He might well be spot on in his evaluation, but personally I'm not a big fan of using your position in the media to rule someone out of a hypothetical role at place you don't work at using the authority of a job you don't actually have.

This is a good summation of some key moments in the clubs recent past.
No way the current Broncos executive will take it on board though. They are in utter denial.

If Walters is coming in and Wayne wants to help, mobile phone plans with unlimited calling and messaging are pretty cheap nowadays.
Souths or whoever hes working for would love that.

The thing is though, he's been volunteering himself to transition from Head Coach to a more hands off role for a few years now, it's just that the people running the club at the time had fallen out with him and were determined not to let him be a part of the process anymore. It's not as though Wayne thinks he can go forever and hasn't ever entertained stepping back before so I'm sure he understands better than anyone what that means for him on a day to day basis.

Agreed. I also think inadvertently players would gravitate towards Wayne and his opinions and this may undermine the new coach if they weren't aligned on roles etc.

Wayne could (maybe better word he "should") be the next Cyril Connell.
I think with his experience he probably has a bit more to offer than just scouting, but you're right in that he can likely add some value in that area too.

The thing is though, he's been volunteering himself to transition from Head Coach to a more hands off role for a few years now, it's just that the people running the club at the time had fallen out with him and were determined not to let him be a part of the process anymore. It's not as though Wayne thinks he can go forever and hasn't ever entertained stepping back before so I'm sure he understands better than anyone what that means for him on a day to day basis.

if that was the case, then he would be our coaching director right now.

Paul White and the board no longer thought it was best he be head coach, but obviously wanted to keep him around the club. which is why the wanted him to finish his contract and transition into a front office (coaching director) role. his ego couldn't handle that the club no longer wanted him as coach, so he left, playing games on his way out, so he'd get fired and not have to coach the final year of his contract

if that was the case, then he would be our coaching director right now.

Paul White and the board no longer thought it was best he be head coach, but obviously wanted to keep him around the club. which is why the wanted him to finish his contract and transition into a front office (coaching director) role. his ego couldn't handle that the club no longer wanted him as coach, so he left, playing games on his way out, so he'd get fired and not have to coach the final year of his contract
Nobody could argue now surely that Paul White didn't completely shit the bed. It's not about Wayne's ego, he earned the right for a one year extension which would be wrapping up now and would be transitioning into the role with the club in a healthy state. This is solely about the gross negligence your poster boy White oversaw that has us at rock bottom and the absolute laughing stock of Australian sport.

Nobody could argue now surely that Paul White didn't completely shit the bed. It's not about Wayne's ego, he earned the right for a one year extension which would be wrapping up now and would be transitioning into the role with the club in a healthy state. This is solely about the gross negligence your poster boy White oversaw that has us at rock bottom and the absolute laughing stock of Australian sport.

only if you disregard his second stint and focus on what he did over a decade earlier

Unread

Active Now

• LGH
  • Skathen
  • Broncorob
  • Broncosgirl
  • I bleed Maroon
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.