• Paul Green

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Other (specify)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Head Coach: Paul Green
Assistant Coach: Adrian Lam

Seems to be what's happening.

There goes Ben Hunts shot at the Maroon. After the success of having a stand alone coach, I don't understand it. Also, are they completely cleaning out the coaching staff or something?

I don't understand after 10 successful years of a stand alone coach why the QRL would go back to a club coach as Queensland coach. If Paul Green is going to leave the Cowboys I've got no issue, however I doubt that will happen.

WAYNE Bennett has questioned Kevin Walters’ snubbing as Maroons coach after he was “groomed” to replace Mal Meninga.

The Queensland Rugby League has been in discussions with Cowboys premiership-winning mentor Paul Green to coach the State of Origin team.

Walters was a hot favourite to replace Meninga after acting as his assistant for six of his 10 years in charge but QRL figures privately believe he isn’t ready to assume the role given his lack of elite head coaching experience.

Walters won a premiership as Craig Bellamy’s assistant in Melbourne and helped Bennett pilot the Broncos to this year’s grand final.

The 48-year-old won an incredible six premierships as a player and made 20 appearances for Queensland and Bennett couldn’t believe his right-hand man had been snubbed.

“I certainly understand his disappointment,” Bennett said.

“He went there two years ago because he was being groomed to be the next Origin coach.

“You’re never ready for Origin.

“I was 37 when (ex-QRL boss) Ross Livermore rang me up (and asked me to coach Queensland). Did I think I was ready? No.

“Do you think Mal thought he was ready? No. He wasn’t ready to achieve what he did in 10 years.

“Do you think Paul Vautin was ready when they threw him the job (in 1995) and they had that magnificent series win?

“Kevin’s had a decade of coaching. You go and do your absolute best at it.

“I don’t know what ready is. I really don’t.”

Green must convince the Cowboys the state commitments wouldn’t hinder North Queensland’s pursuit of back-to-back title if he is to accept the position.

The 43-year-old played 10 games for Queensland (1997-2001) and holds an impeccable coaching record, having guided Wynnum-Manly to consecutive Intrust Super Cup titles and assisting Trent Robinson in the Roosters’ 2013 premiership before his breakthrough triumph at the Cowboys this year.

If Green knocks back the QRL’s advances, Walters could come back into the running for the job.

While Walters’ coaching resume isn’t as impressive, Bennett said he was a genuine winner.

“He was a great player for Queensland and epitomises what Origin is about — winning,” he said.

“Only Darren Lockyer played more finals series than him.

“I do feel for him. He’s set his heart on it.

“I don’t know how much longer it’ll be until he’s ready.”

Walters’ snubbing has left Broncos players and staff baffled.

Darius Boyd, who’s played 23 games for Queensland, said he was surprised Walters had been overlooked.

“Kevvy’s been there and done it as a player,” he said.

“He’s coached different clubs and been an assistant for a lot of teams.

“He’s done a great job here and been an assistant at Origin level. He knows what the team needs and how Mal was running it.

“It is a shock but I’m sure the QRL know what they’re doing and will pick the best person possible.”

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...t/news-story/e63277ea109c39f39050d9282bf567b2

Walters was a hot favourite to replace Meninga after acting as his assistant for six of his 10 years in charge but QRL figures privately believe he isn’t ready to assume the role given his lack of elite head coaching experience.

This made me laugh ...

How much elite head coaching experience did Meninga actually have? About 3 years with the Raiders with a poor record.

I really don't get it, you just need a guy who can fire a team up and get them in the right state of mind. The NRL level coaching just doesn't apply here.

This is quite ridiculous TBH.

After successfully guiding his team to a premiership in which the other team lost it, we just abandon what has worked for the last 10 years?

Well done.

This made me laugh ...

How much elite head coaching experience did Meninga actually have? About 3 years with the Raiders with a poor record.

5 years with the Raiders with a win percentage a tick over 50. Walters with a lack of experience? head coaching maybe but he has been involved with Origin for a while and has served assistant roles under Bellamy and Bennett.

I don't understand after 10 successful years of a stand alone coach why the QRL would go back to a club coach as Queensland coach. If Paul Green is going to leave the Cowboys I've got no issue, however I doubt that will happen.

FOGS will get their way.

I couldn't believe it when I heard they offered the job to Paul Green.

Kevvie must be gutted that the NRL's version of Steven Bradbury was offered it.

Green can have it. And I hope the Cowboys fall apart while he's in camp.

I think people are forgetting Green has been successful at whatever he has done, Wynnum, Roosters and Cowboys. He is FOG too. He is not some nuffy.

I think people are forgetting Green has been successful at whatever he has done, Wynnum, Roosters and Cowboys. He is FOG too. He is not some nuffy.
I'm undecided yet on where Green fits as a premiership winning coach on a scale of Ricky Stuart to Wayne Bennett. Only time will tell, I guess.

Active Now

• Matheos
  • phoenix
  • Jedhead
  • broncomax
  • Fitzy
  • Fatboy
  • Aldo
  • broncos4life
  • Big Del
  • kman
  • jarro65
  • Bucking Beads
  • Manofoneway
  • davidp
  • Maroon4life
  • Johnny92
  • GCBRONCO
  • winslow_wong
  • Foordy
... and 9 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.