NRL 2020 Summit

M

mick

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
After the weekend just gone, for some reason my mind turned to the possibility of the NRL hosting a league-specific 2020 summit to set some clear and concise goals for the future.

Becuase we have Buckley's chance of that happening anytime soon, I thought it'd be kinda fun and interesting for people here to talk about the agenda plans and priorities that they would like to see addressed, and what they would like the NRL to look like in the year 2020.

Here's a few of my ideas:

A 20 team competition

I don't think there should be any real plans for admission of new teams soon, but I'd like to see the NRL take charge in taking more matches to, in particular, Perth and WA over the next few years. I'd plan to keep all 16 teams as they are now, as long as they are all financially viable, and introduce four new teams into the competition in 2016 - Central Coast Bears, Perth Reds, Wellington Orcas and a third SEQ team based either from Ipswich or Redcliffe/Sunshine Coast.

Uniform off-field discrepencies rules

Similar to the judiciary, I would like to see punishment for incidents involving drugs, alcohol or assaults being the domain of a competition-wide board with independent judges. All players in the competition would be under the same rules and there would be set and structured gradings for the discrepencies, with fines and suspensions in place for each different grade.

A steadfast no-work, no-play policy

Every single player in the competition will HAVE to have completed or be in the process of completing an apprenticeship, diploma or degree in order to be paid and take the field for their respective clubs. Yes, I realise most clubs have a similar system in place now.

A better TV rights deal for the code

I can't believe how poorly league gets shafted when it comes to the $$$$ it earns from Channel Nine and Fox. We need a CEO with the balls to push for MORE funding, which could be used in strengthening the game's grassroots and also in the improvements and redevelopments of the treasured and historical boutique stadiums in Sydney.

A true DAY TIME grand final

No half measures crap, but a 3 o'clock kick-off for the main game, thank you.

The return of the RESERVE GRADE

I think there should be an implementation of a competition-wide reserve grade program to compliment the u20's comp, which will hopefully still be going strong by the year 2020. The fact of the matter is, many clubs have fringe players well over the age of 20, and to have them performing across up to six competitions in dozens of teams each weekend is somewhat pointless. This would be the first real introduction of a three-tier system for the entirety of the comp, not just in NSW, and could bring back and strengthen the once treasured "Club championship trophy", which rewards consistency and success through the u20's (Colts), Reserve Grade and the NRL.

So, there's a few of my ideas - anyone agree/disagree or like to add any of their own?

All Representitive games to be played at Season's end. Not during it. Any club wishing to have medical treatment carried out on star players who would have a high chance of being selected in these teams should have a second opinion from another doctor not related to the club he plays at.

Any onfield workplace assults from Player to Player to be reported by the Workplace Health and Safety representitive (NRL / Refs / Coaches / Whoever) to be pursued legally with a clear definition of Accidental or Intent. (Eg. Gallen).

ANY player who brings the game into disrepute will cost the team fines / points. The NRL should not fine the player, but fine the club. 3 Strikes, and they start to lose points.

Roudy fans in the stadiums who continue to be disruptive should cause their team to lose points, life bans from stadiums that are enforced.

Video ref to call on forward passes.

Video ref to abolish 'Benefit of the Doubt' and 'Refs Call' with 'No Try - No Clear Indication - Play the ball'.

Fox Sports to be given full rights to all games to be aired live. NRL should strike a deal for discounted service for League fans to have a basic package and "The League Channels", or the Fox Sports packages. Discounts for season members. Special codes at games for discounts, and free installation for the package. No advertising throughout game except at half-time.

Phil Gould to be removed from the commetry team. Andrew Johns to be removed from the commetry team.

Man of the match to be selected via SMS / Online vote.

DECENT NRL WEBSITE!

Cheaper merchandise (Bigger Broncos jerseys).

Add teams for

PNG
Adelaide
4Th Queensland (Rocky)
Second NZ
Central Coast
Perth

Split the comp into 2 seconds

11 Vs 11

top 4 from each "group" to play out in a top 8 Play-Off, Swapping who is in each group every year

Pre-Season Cups

4 Qld Teams Play of in a preseason "Qld Cup"

lots of small ideas

Nashy said:
Any onfield workplace assults from Player to Player to be reported by the Workplace Health and Safety representitive (NRL / Refs / Coaches / Whoever) to be pursued legally with a clear definition of Accidental or Intent. (Eg. Gallen).

ANY player who brings the game into disrepute will cost the team fines / points. The NRL should not fine the player, but fine the club. 3 Strikes, and they start to lose points.

Roudy fans in the stadiums who continue to be disruptive should cause their team to lose points, life bans from stadiums that are enforced.

Video ref to abolish 'Benefit of the Doubt' and 'Refs Call' with 'No Try - No Clear Indication - Play the ball'.

Fox Sports to be given full rights to all games to be aired live. NRL should strike a deal for discounted service for League fans to have a basic package and "The League Channels", or the Fox Sports packages. Discounts for season members. Special codes at games for discounts, and free installation for the package. No advertising throughout game except at half-ti

Phil Gould to be removed from the commetry team. Andrew Johns to be removed from the commetry team.

DECENT NRL WEBSITE!

[icon_lol1. [icon_lol1. :shock: Surely you jest my friend.I do like the video ref whispering the forward pass in the refs ear though.

Great thread Mick will put the thinking cap on eusa_think eusa_think

Nashy said:

Fox Sports to be given full rights to all games to be aired live. NRL should strike a deal for discounted service for League fans to have a basic package and "The League Channels", or the Fox Sports packages. Discounts for season members. Special codes at games for discounts, and free installation for the package. No advertising throughout game except at half-time.

DECENT NRL WEBSITE!

By rowdy do you mean noisy...or Bulldogs letting flares off type incidents?

Bulldogs style fans.

@Kee. No, I don't. I want all of those to happen. This thread isn't about thinking about what will happen, it's my ideas of how I want the game played. And the rules changed.

The Draw
The season's draw to be realeased in full, with games allocated actual days/nights to be played, at the start of the season

Trainers
Trainers, whilst on the field, are not allowed to issue instructions to players actually involved in the play at the time. Must remain at least 15-20m behind the play at all times either treating players/giving them a drink or whatever

Day Time GF
Totally agree with Mick on this one

Salary Cap Discounts
Discounts under the salary cap for players that a club has developed and brought through the system from juniors. Also more long-service discounts for players who have been with the same club for 10+ years (club can nominate up to 2 players per year in this category that are not included in the salary cap at all)

Video Ref
A set time limit in which the video ref must make his decision. Alternatively a maximum number of replays that the video ref can look at in order to make his decision

NRL Administration
The NRL Administration to actually take control of the game instead of being dictated to by media outlets

Video Ref only to look at offsides on kicks and groundings on tries and they only watch the same replay twice each. No video whatsoever in general play or obstructions therefore encouraging referees to actually make decisions instead of hoping the team will score so they can send it up for the video ref to look at it.

Scrums to be fed in the middle and once only with both sides pushing and contasting the scrum in a bid to win the ball, if it gets kicked straight out or straight to the defending team so be it its play on. Either this or no scrums at all just change over the possession.

Proper day grand finals plus more actual day games to be scheduled throughout the season.

Scrums to be a contest (Union Style) or dropped completely.

^ agree - scrums contested and to be fed in the middle, not directly to the lock

Best summit ever. I don't know if I agree with 11 V 11 comp... a 20 team comp would be amazing..

Nashy said:
Bulldogs style fans.

@Kee. No, I don't. I want all of those to happen. This thread isn't about thinking about what will happen, it's my ideas of how I want the game played. And the rules changed.

Sorry Nashy agree on all point raised was having a go at the discount to Fox on season tik holders.Rediculous.

Scrums to be a contest or get rid of them.

Video refs to get new glasses and eye sight tests done six monthly.

Revue of the Judiciary panel

No 20 team comp.We are trying to cut teams not increase them.Amalgamation of Sydney teams to make way for expansion of league to other states,

No walking out of clubs and getting out of contracts mid year.(unless valid medical reason)

Stop the video refs for calling the offside in centremetres in a brilliant try making it disallowed

All coaches to be made learn and understand the obstruction rule to the latter.

No finger tip try allowed.Ball must be treated with respect and grounded properly with one or both hands fully in control of the ball

Get rid of scrums, if you lose the ball why should you get to contest it?

No more corner post, its useless

QUEENSLANDER said:

It's Andrew Voss in disguise! [icon_lol1.

Meat77 said:
QUEENSLANDER said:

It's Andrew Voss in disguise! [icon_lol1.

The blokes knows what hes talking about sometimes!

Active Now

• Old Mate
  • MrMoore
  • Allo
  • Manlyman
  • Fitzy
  • Harry Sack
  • ozzball
  • Justwin
  • Bucking Beads
  • LittleDavey
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Dash
  • Mustafur
  • pennywisealfie
  • kman
  • Broncorob
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.