NRL 2022 Round 1 Discussion

[st_table="45%"][st_tr][st_td_row="2"]
27358.jpg
[/st_td_row][st_td]Eagles4Life - silvertails.net[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .March 5, 2017
[/st_td][/st_tr][/st_table]
Surely a stir up.

Comes into a forum with Broncos and Warrior fans, and predicts both teams to finish last and second to last?!

I know who I'm picking tomorrow night and its not Manly?!!!!!!!!!!

[/QUOTE]
Yep that was a probably a bit harsh by @The Wheel I think the Bulldogs are specials for the spoon, with the Cowboys not far behind, and the Broncos/Warriors fighting it our for thirteenth and fourteenth.

713.jpg
[/st_td_row][st_td]Ever Hopeful - nzwarriors.com[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .February 24, 2013
REACTIONS: 11,252
26255.jpg
[/st_td_row][st_td]Waz13 - silvertails.net[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .May 1, 2016

Warriors and pack size has never been the problem. They always have some big units. Now big motors is another thing. Best of luck to both sides this year. Like every year injuries will play their part and cut a few of the more favoured teams down to size. Who knows if the warriors and broncs remain healthy both could push for 7th or 8th. Can’t see any higher though.

Let’s all have a chew!

Yeah, see this is where you can always tell that the Aussies haven't been watching us (who can blame them). The myth of the massive Warriors pack has been rolled out by commentators 10 times a game, but there was a very lengthy period between 2015ish and 2020ish that we got absolutely monstered up front (SJ always got the blame). We have relied on fat-arsed wingers to get us out of our half with little to no success.

The other Aussie commentator trope is the whole razzle-dazzle thing. I had to keep my eyes open with clothes pegs during the Steve Kearney coaching era.

75.jpg
[/st_td_row][st_td]Defence - nzwarriors.com[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .May 9, 2012
REACTIONS: 19,027
8423.jpg
[/st_td_row][st_td]Sproj - broncoshq.com[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .September 5, 2013

We'll take it!

Haha gee it’s hard to get a rise out of a broncos fan these days.
You’ve got a lot of talent in that squad but it still looks pretty green and I’m not convinced Reynolds is the savior.
Hass is a special player and I really rate young robati on the bench but I looked at that back line someone posted and my first thought was shit that’s gonna concede a lot of points.
Could say the same of ours tbf.

6538.jpg
[/st_td_row][st_td]Noitall - nzwarriors.com[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .August 21, 2019
REACTIONS: 8,279
Definitely mate. We have a young gun coming through called Tolutau Koula who's a fullback with blistering speed and ability. He'll play off the bench tomorrow night (I believe). Keep an eye for him.
Was just reading an article about him. Said his parents went to the olympics multiple times representing Tonga. His old man was a sprinter and his mum was a hurdler and did long jump. From impressive pedigree.

9611.jpg
[/st_td_row][st_td]WarriorDave - nzwarriors.com[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .June 13, 2021
REACTIONS: 928
You’ve got a lot of talent in that squad but it still looks pretty green and I’m not convinced Reynolds is the savior.
Hass is a special player and I really rate young robati on the bench but I looked at that back line someone posted and my first thought was shit that’s gonna concede a lot of points.
If Kodi fails I'm going all in on Wrighty to take up the mantle at 6 to lead us to victory.

Broncos - 6th
Warriors - 8th
Sea Eagles - 9th

Trust me this real ranking.
Oh yeah Raiders - 16th

9611.jpg
[/st_td_row][st_td]WarriorDave - nzwarriors.com[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .June 13, 2021
REACTIONS: 928
10428.jpg
[/st_td_row][st_td]Blindside Bronco - broncoshq.com[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .October 17, 2019

Broncos - 6th
Warriors - 8th
Sea Eagles - 9th

Trust me this real ranking.
Oh yeah Raiders - 16th

That's a weird way to spell Tigers.
As much as I despise Sticky, I can't take a club seriously that makes Big Ken captain.

4275.jpg
[/st_td_row][st_td]BeastMode - nzwarriors.com[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .March 7, 2015
REACTIONS: 19,141
That's a weird way to spell Tigers.
As much as I despise Sticky, I can't take a club seriously that makes Big Ken captain.

WHAT? They made Ken Maumalo captain?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

75.jpg
[/st_td_row][st_td]Defence - nzwarriors.com[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .May 9, 2012
REACTIONS: 19,027

We aren't under any illusions, we know the team has upside but it is unproven and we have a poor recent track record with recruits, especially marquee ones. Our coach is unproven and our kids are really scarred from recent seasons. If we make 8th it will be a massive win for the year.

4275.jpg
[/st_td_row][st_td]BeastMode - nzwarriors.com[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .March 7, 2015
REACTIONS: 19,141
I reckon you can group the teams into 3 packs:

#1-6
Penrith
Souths
Roosters
Melbourne
Manly
Eels

#7-12
Warriors
St George
Titans
Cronulla
Canberra
St George

#13-16
Cows
Bulldogs
Newcastle
Tigers

Tigers for the SPOON. That team is diabolical. A team of 5 captains? How convenient. They can all points fingers at each other when they lose....

75.jpg
REACTIONS: 19,029
I reckon you can group the teams into 3 packs:

#1-6
Penrith
Souths
Roosters
Melbourne
Manly
Eels

#7-12
Warriors
St George
Titans
Cronulla
Canberra
St George

#13-16
Cows
Bulldogs
Newcastle
Tigers

Tigers for the SPOON. That team is diabolical. A team of 5 captains? How convenient. They can all points fingers at each other when they lose....
That would be something if at George finished 7th and 8th.
Still reckon they’d be out in the first week.

Why do Souths seem to be universally accepted to be top 6? They've lost Reynolds, Su'A, Gagai and a few others plus Bennett. Mitchell is a brain explosion waiting to happen at any given moment as well. I wouldn't be surprised if they either struggle to get going or run out of steam half way through the season.

I could well be completely wrong too but don't let a likely smashing of a second grade second grade Broncos team distort the fact they have lost a LOT.

4275.jpg
REACTIONS: 19,142
8423.jpg
[/st_td_row][st_td]Sproj - broncoshq.com[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .September 5, 2013

Why do Souths seem to be universally accepted to be top 6? They've lost Reynolds, Su'A, Gagai and a few others plus Bennett. Mitchell is a brain explosion waiting to happen at any given moment as well. I wouldn't be surprised if they either struggle to get going or run out of steam half way through the season.

I could well be completely wrong too but don't like a likely smashing of a second grade second grade Broncos team distort the fact they have lost a LOT.

Some clubs have that culture of winning.

It something my club knows nothing about, and your club seems to have forgotten how to do.

4275.jpg
REACTIONS: 19,142

Some clubs have that culture of winning.

It something my club knows nothing about, and your club seems to have forgotten how to do.

Fair points but remember, our club used to have that winning culture until some players moved on and the head started to rot (for us it massively started with Bruno Cullen). I do not know if anything has changed at the top for Souths but every winning culture comes to an end...except the Roosters but they have no salary cap.

[/st_td_row][st_td]the borg - nzwarriors.com[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .June 8, 2015
REACTIONS: 1,769
A lot of the commentators are writing us off this year.. when looking at last year's results I would too.. however dig deeper and the Team was smashed with injuries and a few suspensions.. and halves that weren't good enough to close out games.. I reckon we'll do a lot better than most think and fly under the radar. Get past the dragons this week without Lodge and Walsh could be a start of a decent season...

26236.jpg
[/st_td_row][st_td]Eagle of London - silvertails.net[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .April 28, 2016
6412.jpg
[/st_td_row][st_td]bangbros18 - nzwarriors.com[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .May 20, 2019
REACTIONS: 7,040

Any suggestions who could do a job for the warriors?

I'm actually thinking madge, Flanagan or ?

I think Flanagan could be a really good pick-up for you. There's just something about Brownie that screams good caretaker but really not top-shelf.

8927.jpg
[/st_td_row][st_td]Warriorsitsouryear - nzwarriors.com[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .March 5, 2021
REACTIONS: 65
I was skeptical about Brown and things he did last year from rotation of players and positions to tactics and possibly not looking at the players strengths first when choosing a style of play. Looking back now - it looks like he had that free pass to do as he sees fit in order to start making a push this year.

I really liked what I saw in trial 1 but only having one trial concerns me as the Dragons ran their second trial like a must win game and therefore must be better primed for this one. They have a good looking 17 too without Burgess and Sims and the so called experts have nearly all been picking them in the 8. Our solace comes that outside our fans and our team.... we don't have pressure to perform. We are underestimated. 'Kenty' says SJ will add to depth but won't make a difference.They have only been mentioned in two out of 6 league shows this week and that's from a question from the public about SJ to Kenty and Alexander and Ennis both saying they won't make the 8.

All of that is great for us! We can win our first 5 games and people will still say we will miss the 8 and wait for us to slide... I am as excited as I have ever been and if we can keep AFB, Lodge, Walsh and SJ on the field in 85% of games - we surely will be in the 8! Frothing for the start!

636.jpg
[/st_td_row][st_td]Gizzyfan - nzwarriors.com[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .January 2, 2013
REACTIONS: 15,419
You all make good points about Brown. However, as an assistant this year he has Stacey Jones running the attack. The last time he was an assistant was 2018 when they made the 8 and were only a forward pass off top 4.

Brownie has a bad habit of chopping and changing and second guessing himself. Hopefully he will do better this year, I have little confidence in Morgan but Stacey has 'the runs on the board'.

Broncos to improve, especially if Reynolds stays fit. Manly will go depending on Tom T. Warriors could be anything or nothing. I am picking that Souths, Newcastle and Titans to slip back a bit, how far is the thing. Of the top sides only the Roosters look stronger this year to me.

Active Now

• Xzei
  • Brocko
  • Harry Sack
  • Sproj
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  • GCBRONCO
  • azza.79
  • BroncosAlways
  • bert_lifts
  • Fitzy
  • Lurker
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.