NRL 2022 Round 4 Discussion

[st_table="45%"][st_tr][st_td_row="2"]
1100.jpg
[/st_td_row][st_td]matiunz - nzwarriors.com[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .July 15, 2013
REACTIONS: 17,924
[/st_td][/st_tr][/st_table]
The gulf in teams is becoming wider and wider

This year yet?

1100.jpg
[/st_td_row][st_td]matiunz - nzwarriors.com[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .July 15, 2013
REACTIONS: 17,924

The gulf in teams is becoming wider and wider

This year yet?

In the words of Vlandys, the struggling teams 'just need to get better'.

5003.jpg
[/st_td_row][st_td]jonesy101 - nzwarriors.com[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .August 28, 2016
REACTIONS: 4,542
2021.jpg
[/st_td_row][st_td]Kimlo - broncoshq.com[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .April 25, 2008

Easy fix. Base salary cap for all teams. 1-8% bonus cap per ladder position for the bottom 8, spooners get an extra 8%, 9th get 1% and you'd obviously need to move player signings to an end of season window only.

As it is now, top teams are effectively operating at up to a 10% bonus just by virtue of being able to pay less because they're successful.

That extra million for the wooden spooners gives the fans hope, and pots more pressure on the top clubs to have to pay up.

Or you know, get rid of the salary cap entirely.

That's a really interesting concept for the salary cap, kind of like a variation on the US draft system from season to season. Personally I'm a bit on the fence with anything rewarding a bad season and disadvantaging a good one in any way.

The salary cap is far from perfect, but I'm not sure of a better system in terms of "fairness" for all clubs. So many factors come into play. The Warrior and Canberra are at a disadvantage due to geographical location, while the Roosters, Broncos and Titans have an advantage there for example.

With the exception of the Storm (at the top) and Tigers (struggling) its been pretty cyclic for clubs over the last decade moving up and down the ladder. Things have been skewed more than usual the last couple of seasons, but 2018 was extremely close. We are already seeing the Sharks benefit from getting a gun player the Storm were unable to retain due to the cap and are now working their way back up to being a top 4 side. The Eels are also on the way up. The Raiders managed to get to the grand final a couple of seasons ago and without the controversy, had a good chance of winning. The Bunnies were last years grand finalists but seem to be in a state of transition.

The reality is 50% of teams must lose in a weekend. If we got rid of the salary cap though, 50% of teams would cease to exist.

5003.jpg
[/st_td_row][st_td]jonesy101 - nzwarriors.com[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .August 28, 2016

That's a really interesting concept for the salary cap, kind of like a variation on the US draft system from season to season. Personally I'm a bit on the fence with anything rewarding a bad season and disadvantaging a good one in any way.

The salary cap is far from perfect, but I'm not sure of a better system in terms of "fairness" for all clubs. So many factors come into play. The Warrior and Canberra are at a disadvantage due to geographical location, while the Roosters, Broncos and Titans have an advantage there for example.

With the exception of the Storm (at the top) and Tigers (struggling) its been pretty cyclic for clubs over the last decade moving up and down the ladder. Things have been skewed more than usual the last couple of seasons, but 2018 was extremely close. We are already seeing the Sharks benefit from getting a gun player the Storm were unable to retain due to the cap and are now working their way back up to being a top 4 side. The Eels are also on the way up. The Raiders managed to get to the grand final a couple of seasons ago and without the controversy, had a good chance of winning. The Bunnies were last years grand finalists but seem to be in a state of transition.

The reality is 50% of teams must lose in a weekend. If we got rid of the salary cap though, 50% of teams would cease to exist.

Good, blow it up and start again with less Sydney teams.

5003.jpg

You make a lot of good points but I feel the comp is slowly transitioning to a soccer competition where the top few clubs are entrenched and the bottom few can't compete because players are taking less to get a taste of success.

You mention you're against rewarding bad and punishing good, but isn't that exactly the core purpose of the salary cap? Right now it's not achieving its goal. A team like the Bulldogs have to pay a 20% premium to attract players, so does Canberra and the Warriors.

At least when they have a bad season, they have a chance to recruit a star by overpaying then if they hit the top of the table they have a much better chance of keeping players simply by being a club who wins most weeks.

5003.jpg
8423.jpg
[/st_td_row][st_td]Sproj - broncoshq.com[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .September 5, 2013

Good, blow it up and start again with less Sydney teams.

I've never been to a game in Sydney, but wouldn't like the thought of extinguishing up to 100 years of history with many of those clubs. Would be a very sad day.

5003.jpg

I've never been to a game in Sydney, but wouldn't like the thought of extinguishing up to 100 years of history with many of those clubs. Would be a very sad day.

Would it? If the teams were distributed more evenly, wouldn't that lead to more fans and more investment as teams become representative of their area.

That said, the FAR more important thing is to bring in a draft system and trade window OR reward teams that develop.

33.jpg
[/st_td_row][st_td]Miket12 - nzwarriors.com[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .April 20, 2012
REACTIONS: 20,134
index.php

Brings a smile to my face.

For they were Warriors ..... these mighty men of Valour
1 Chronicles 12:21

Trade window, that’s what needs to happen. No talking to any player not from your team outside of that window.

It’s a disgrace the way it’s being run atm.

5003.jpg
REACTIONS: 4,543
8423.jpg
[/st_td_row][st_td]Sproj - broncoshq.com[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .September 5, 2013

Would it? If the teams were distributed more evenly, wouldn't that lead to more fans and more investment as teams become representative of their area.

That said, the FAR more important thing is to bring in a draft system and trade window OR reward teams that develop.

I can't speak for everyone, but it definitely would for me and no doubt would for the long term supporters of any of those long established and proud clubs. The hurt that was caused from the removal of the Bunnies and the North Sydney Bears should not be repeated.

The admission of the Dolphins into the comp is the right move as it makes sense to reintroduce 3 teams in the population centre of South Queensland. A club in Perth in the long term for an 18 team comp also makes sense as they seem to get a fair bit of support when games are played there. Let's see how that plays out before doing anything too radical.

I agree with the trade window and even more so rewarding teams that develop and therefore having club culture strengthened with players sticking with a club. A one club player is all too rare these days, a reality of the salary cap which is one aspect I don't like about it. Would still rather have it than not though.

5003.jpg

I can't speak for everyone, but it definitely would for me and no doubt would for the long term supporters of any of those long established and proud clubs. The hurt that was caused from the removal of the Bunnies and the North Sydney Bears should not be repeated.

The admission of the Dolphins into the comp is the right move as it makes sense to reintroduce 3 teams in the population centre of South Queensland. A club in Perth in the long term for an 18 team comp also makes sense as they seem to get a fair bit of support when games are played there. Let's see how that plays out before doing anything too radical.

I agree with the trade window and even more so rewarding teams that develop and therefore having club culture strengthened with players sticking with a club. A one club player is all too rare these days, a reality of the salary cap which is one aspect I don't like about it. Would still rather have it than not though.

The trade window gives development clubs a chance to lock up players they have developed, before the usual suspects come sniffing around a year out from the end of their contracts. Completely derailing any long term plan a team has. It will also force said teams to actually put some effort into development and improving the overall quality of players.

it’s as simple as it gets, but this comp is run by a punch of Mickey mouse **** heads.

5003.jpg

I get your points about the history of clubs but of what benefit is the salary cap? Even out the competition? Doesn't work when you have players from struggling clubs going to good clubs for less money. Doesn't work when you have the same teams (who both have questionable cap histories) in the Roosters and/or Storm competing in/winning the GF almost every year. The NRL's salary cap auditor is an honorary member of the Roosters and the Storm's ways have been well documented AND have just had a gambling venture approved by the NRL where they don't need to declare what the players are doing / getting. What is the point of a salary cap if these sorts of things are allowed to happen?

22.jpg
[/st_td_row][st_td]mrblonde - nzwarriors.com[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .April 13, 2012
REACTIONS: 5,634

The salary cap is far from perfect, but I'm not sure of a better system in terms of "fairness" for all clubs. So many factors come into play. The Warriors and Canberra are at a disadvantage due to geographical location, while the Roosters, Broncos and Titans have an advantage there for example.
I wonder how much TPAs are spoiling the field? How seriously is the NRL looking to make sure clubs are paying their players fair market value rather than underpaying a player by, say, 100K Per Season which is picked up by Joey's Biffo Services paying that player 100K in a TPA deal?

Also, your point about geographical location is bang on. Giving the Warriors an extra, say, $1.5m Salary Cap doesn't magically move the club closer to where an Aussie player might like the club to be.

There's also a club's current or past form or believability of a club's bright future to consider. Would a player not touch the Tigers as of right now suddenly be keen as heck when there's an extra $200k thrown his way?

The NRL Video Referee Says "WOOF! WOOF!" As It Taps It's White Cane...

22.jpg
[/st_td_row][st_td]mrblonde - nzwarriors.com[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .April 13, 2012
REACTIONS: 5,634

I wonder how much TPAs are spoiling the field? How seriously is the NRL looking to make sure clubs are paying their players fair market value rather than underpaying a player by, say, 100K Per Season which is picked up by Joey's Biffo Services paying that player 100K in a TPA deal?

Also, your point about geographical location is bang on. Giving the Warriors an extra, say, $1.5m Salary Cap doesn't magically move the club closer to where an Aussie player might like the club to be.

There's also a club's current or past form or believability of a club's bright future to consider. Would a player not touch the Tigers as of right now suddenly be keen as heck when there's an extra $200k thrown his way?

The NRL Video Referee Says "WOOF! WOOF!" As It Taps It's White Cane...

Or golf rounds at Bondi.

9527.jpg
[/st_td_row][st_td]Wrighty - nzwarriors.com[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .May 25, 2021
REACTIONS: 3,052
10185.jpg
[/st_td_row][st_td]Midean - broncoshq.com[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .June 5, 2019

He took less pay to play for a better side.

NRL should not have allowed this to happen
1) It is poaching
2) It is a rort of the cap concept

I want to fold some Kents

5003.jpg
REACTIONS: 4,544
8423.jpg

I get your points about the history of clubs but of what benefit is the salary cap? Even out the competition? Doesn't work when you have players from struggling clubs going to good clubs for less money. Doesn't work when you have the same teams (who both have questionable cap histories) in the Roosters and/or Storm competing in/winning the GF almost every year. The NRL's salary cap auditor is an honorary member of the Roosters and the Storm's ways have been well documented AND have just had a gambling venture approved by the NRL where they don't need to declare what the players are doing / getting. What is the point of a salary cap if these sorts of things are allowed to happen?

The objective of the salary cap is a good one - to even out the competition. But as you've pointed out it should definitely be far more transparent in its execution to avoid actual misuse and the speculation that happen without having all the detail, particularly with respect to third party agreements etc.

Without the cap I'm pretty sure the club I've supported from childhood for 27 years would have ceased to exist along with several others though.

A salary cap combined with rewarding club development is achieving both needs.

5003.jpg
REACTIONS: 4,544

The objective of the salary cap is a good one - to even out the competition. But as you've pointed out it should definitely be far more transparent in its execution to avoid actual misuse and the speculation that happen without having all the detail, particularly with respect to third party agreements etc.

Without the cap I'm pretty sure the club I've supported from childhood for 27 years would have ceased to exist along with several others though.

A salary cap combined with rewarding club development is achieving both needs.

But reward (I'm talking GENUINE reward) for development will never happen, it would potentially disadvantage the Roosters and Storm too much and the NRL don't want this.

4739.jpg
[/st_td_row][st_td]Sledge - nzwarriors.com[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .April 9, 2016
REACTIONS: 4,079
[/st_td_row][st_td]DSM5 - silvertails.net[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .February 27, 2005

Don’t worry the NRL are about to introduce another bottom four club.

Are Manly getting two sides?🤣

Active Now

• kiwibronco
  • Broncosgirl
  • Xzei
  • Foordy
  • teampjta
  • Browny
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.