CROSS FORUM NRL 2022 Round 5 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
[st_table="45%"][st_tr][st_td_row="2"]
747.jpg
[/st_td_row][st_td]Mark from Brisbane - silvertails.net[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .October 2, 2008
[/st_td][/st_tr][/st_table]
Well that’s the Dogs afternoon virtually over !!

Fan for over 50 years and founder of the Manly Warringah Travelling Supporters, you can also follow me on Twitter @MarkTramby Enjoying the retired life and all that brings.

25138.jpg
[/st_td_row][st_td]pt73 - silvertails.net[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .April 8, 2015
Brilliant pass by TPJ.

2283.jpg
[/st_td_row][st_td]Brissie Kid - silvertails.net[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .August 17, 2010
I would like to see a NRL game trialed without a referee. Let the captains run the game. It surely couldn't be any worse than the dribble today and last night has served up. Absolutely killing the game.

25138.jpg
[/st_td_row][st_td]pt73 - silvertails.net[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .April 8, 2015
Any and ideas on what/who Twenty will blame for this loss ?

747.jpg
[/st_td_row][st_td]Mark from Brisbane - silvertails.net[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .October 2, 2008
Broncos on a other Friday night , gee that’s a surprise !!

Don’t get on me for saying that Donkey fans , I know it’s not your choice.

Fan for over 50 years and founder of the Manly Warringah Travelling Supporters, you can also follow me on Twitter @MarkTramby Enjoying the retired life and all that brings.

3319.jpg
[/st_td_row][st_td]HK_Eagle - silvertails.net[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .August 6, 2011
Well, that was embarrassing defence.

747.jpg
8972.jpg
[/st_td_row][st_td]GKDonkey - broncoshq.com[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .February 28, 2016

What's bunch of heroes these Penrith princesses are...

They aren’t winning many friends with their smart arse antics.

1959.jpg
[/st_td_row][st_td]StuBoot - silvertails.net[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .June 22, 2010
8972.jpg
[/st_td_row][st_td]GKDonkey - broncoshq.com[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .February 28, 2016

How many six agains have penrith got tonight

Yep, that last one was a shocker.
Fisher Harris wriggles on his back through the marker and gets the six again.

2283.jpg
[/st_td_row][st_td]Brissie Kid - silvertails.net[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .August 17, 2010
The NRL clubs need to start a new league, free of the ARLC and NRL. The way the game is officiated is ruining it as a spectacle and a contest. Worrying out how it impacts moms and juniors is stoopid.

The MMA and its mega success shows the NRL clubs the way to go. Give the players and the fans the game of rugby league that they want, not this rubbish we have to cop week after week now.

25022.jpg
[/st_td_row][st_td]eagleron - silvertails.net[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .March 7, 2015
32.jpg
[/st_td_row][st_td]RobRoyMcCoy - nzwarriors.com[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .April 18, 2012
REACTIONS: 2,041

So how come Nathan Cleary's tackle is a fine and Jazz got 2 weeks? I have not gone back and compared the Jazz tackle to the one last night and I claim no expertise, but Cleary's looked quite bad and Jazz's seemed relatively innocuous.

Penrith certainly seem to get the rub of the green

2179.jpg
[/st_td_row][st_td]The Who - silvertails.net[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .June 29, 2010
There is more to it than just year contracts values when it comes to the players in the upper echelon. Arrow's then partner had greater modelling opportunities in Sydney and was one of the factors in his decision to leave GC.

That would have had to be his beau?

Talking 'bout my g-g-generation

25022.jpg
[/st_td_row][st_td]eagleron - silvertails.net[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .March 7, 2015
8868.jpg
[/st_td_row][st_td]jmb_31 - nzwarriors.com[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .February 27, 2021
REACTIONS: 1,154

Didn't realise Tedesco was only 29, he's fallen off hard. Shouldn't be first choice fb for NSW or Australia anymore.

Unfortunately with Fittlers allegiance with the rorters Teddy isn't going to be dropped from Origin at least

31963.jpg
[/st_td_row][st_td]Brookie Bob - silvertails.net[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .March 15, 2021
8255.jpg
[/st_td_row][st_td]LittleDavey - broncoshq.com[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .March 25, 2013

And the problem comes in when players take unders to stay at (or go to) successful and/or well-run teams - like Coates taking less money to go to the Storm. By definition, then, the salary cap is NOT working as intended, as it is not levelling the playing field at all, there is still an imbalance.

Is it better than an unmitigated free-for-all? Of course. But it's not a good long-term solution because it is still leading to entrenched 'winners' and 'losers'. Compare and contrast the Storm with the Tigers and tell me the cap is working just fine (I know there's many other factors at play in that comparison but it does illustrate the point).

For twenty years the Broncos did quite well out of a salary cap that was equal with the Sydney teams (and still is). Players would stay for less in Brisbane because: they had grown up there / their families were there, the aspirational nature of playing for the Broncos during that very successful time, and (importantly) the fact that it was much cheaper to have a great lifestyle north of the Tweed. Probably more so then than now. Club officials in Sydney were offering good Broncos players much bigger money to move back in the day and very few did.

Being a high-profile, successful player in very large RL-loving demographic in Brisbane must have had other rewards too. Sponsorships galore, people thinking that the sun shines out of all that you do. Translate your club success over to SOO and you're pretty much a RL idol in QLD. Unfortunately - it's had a downside.

Like Rome, the downfall has come from within. It seems that the granting of a Broncos jersey to some players in recent years may have given these same players the idea that they had 'made it' - and could do a lot of crap off the field, and not a lot of anything on it (and get paid overs to do so). As an outsider looking in, it looks like Kevvie was put in to put a best-practice culture back into the jersey again from the ground up, and it looks like that's going to take time.
I don't think he's in the top-shelf of tacticians, but his intent seems right.I'm sure the current crop of players probably have more personal accountability than the Broncos circa 2019-2020, 'case a lot of the players with mental baggage have gone.

My puzzle is - how did you guys let Ethan Bullemor go? Hard worker, great attitude, smart, fast (which can't be coached), loads of football potential. The salary cap at Red Hill must be way off if he couldn't have been fitted in under it.

31963.jpg
[/st_td_row][st_td]Brookie Bob - silvertails.net[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .March 15, 2021
For twenty years the Broncos did quite well out of a salary cap that was equal with the Sydney teams (and still is). Players would stay for less in Brisbane because: they had grown up there / their families were there, the aspirational nature of playing for the Broncos during that very successful time, and (importantly) the fact that it was much cheaper to have a great lifestyle north of the Tweed. Probably more so then than now. Club officials in Sydney were offering good Broncos players much bigger money to move back in the day and very few did.

Being a high-profile, successful player in very large RL-loving demographic in Brisbane must have had other rewards too. Sponsorships galore, people thinking that the sun shines out of all that you do. Translate your club success over to SOO and you're pretty much a RL idol in QLD. Unfortunately - it's had a downside.

Like Rome, the downfall has come from within. It seems that the granting of a Broncos jersey to some players in recent years may have given these same players the idea that they had 'made it' - and could do a lot of crap off the field, and not a lot of anything on it (and get paid overs to do so). As an outsider looking in, it looks like Kevvie was put in to put a best-practice culture back into the jersey again from the ground up, and it looks like that's going to take time.
I don't think he's in the top-shelf of tacticians, but his intent seems right.I'm sure the current crop of players probably have more personal accountability than the Broncos circa 2019-2020, 'case a lot of the players with mental baggage have gone.

My puzzle is - how did you guys let Ethan Bullemor go? Hard worker, great attitude, smart, fast (which can't be coached), loads of football potential. The salary cap at Red Hill must be way off if he couldn't have been fitted in under it.

The same Ethan Bullemore who can’t get a run in first grade?

31963.jpg

Can't argue with a thing you've said there, I think you've absolutely nailed it.

And Bullemor chose Sydney over Brisbane for off-field opportunity from what I've read, pretty sure his future is in economics so it makes sense. Sea Eagles were just the club which came to the party for him as far as I know.

31963.jpg

Well said.

The whole Bullemor situation is strange from our end. He was one of our stand-out players last season but there had been murmers that he'd been trying to leave the club since 2020 originally to link up with the Raiders on a loan deal. We were disappointed to see him go, but not overly shocked either.

I think the issue from a Broncos perspective is that they have Haas, Flegler, Carrigan, Riki etc. all in that age group. The Broncos needed a few older players willing to sign cheap so they can balance their cap properly moving forward and weren't relying on players who were still developing physically. Bullemor is in that position right now where he ought to be in line for a starting spot and he had a better shot of that at Manly.

I think if the fans had their way, they would have picked Bullemor ahead of just about every forward on that list. However he didn't want to be here, those players were locked up and the Broncos have a couple more prospects coming through in Xavier Willison and Ben Te Kura.

3319.jpg
[/st_td_row][st_td]HK_Eagle - silvertails.net[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .August 6, 2011
Storm lucky not to have a player in the bin for holding down the tackler too long before that Shark's try

3319.jpg
That is not a farking bad tackle and shouldn't have been penalised. Just unfortunate momentum swinging.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Wolfie
  • GCBRONCO
  • Brocko
  • Foordy
  • Xzei
  • Midean
  • Harry Sack
  • KateBroncos1812
  • broncsgoat
  • Jazza
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Fitzy
  • ezpz
  • BroncosAlways
  • Sproj
  • BruiserMk1
  • Battler
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Allo
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.