NRL 2023 Finals Week 1 Discussion

Fitz lying through his teeth with that presser... sharks have gone backwards this year and he's praising the season like it was a massive success

Really highlights how accurate the dally m is for actually rating a player too. Lockyer never won one but hynes won one haha... wow
TBH I still rate Hynes even if the voting system is rigged to good players in shit teams.

The sharks as an overall squad are just rubbish. It's not so much the calibre of players, just the balance of the squad is terrible. It's like they tried to even out the salary cap by paying everyone the same. Hynes aside is anyone in that squad top tier? Probably not, then again no one is terrible either.

'I'll raise some of these decisions but I'll just be fobbed off. I thought McInnes scored'

He must be the only person on the planet who thinks that.

TBH I still rate Hynes even if the voting system is rigged to good players in shit teams.

The sharks as an overall squad are just rubbish. It's not so much the calibre of players, just the balance of the squad is terrible. It's like they tried to even out the salary cap by paying everyone the same. Hynes aside is anyone in that squad top tier? Probably not, then again no one is terrible either.
Team full of solid first graders. Fighting for the bottom of the 8 every year and if you get a great draw and some luck will make the 8

Fitzy has done the best he could with this roster but they clearly have some deficiencies. 57 missed tackles and 13 errors tells you how easily they left the Roosters off the hook and struggled to build any pressure.

I don't think it's fair to blame Nicho Hynes on the loss. He was the most likely player for the Sharks all night and didn't receive the support he should have.

We're at an interesting juncture in Fitzy's coaching career. As it stands, this team will remain together for at least a couple of more seasons with the exception of Wade Graham who played his final game. Craig is going to have to make some tough calls and develop the likes of Hazelton & Wilton to get the Sharks over this hurdle.

It's usually around this time coaches start to see the fruits of their labour pay off and the next generation start to emerge so I'll be curious to see who fits that profile whether it's a Max Bradbury or they have to hit the market for a blue chip prospect.

Back to Graham, 297 games is a wonderful achievement and there were seasons where he was one of the elite second rowers of the game. I think even he'd admit he went a season or two too long but he didn't shirk his duties.

Sharks' middles just don't look up to scratch to me.

Last year Fitz built his yardage from rolling straight through the ruck with finding your front, quick ptb's and keeping the roll for the next guy... It was basically the same mould as Robinson at rorters and Bellamy at storm. That style worked wonders in 2020 and 2021, but is falling a way at the moment as teams are getting fitter and able to have big bodies keep up with the six again era.

McInness was the epitome of this style for him, but was most effective as first change off the bench. I don't think McIness necessarily works as a starting lock for that style.

He's not really bringing ball playing and his runs are less effective when he has to start against fresh forwards. Long minutes can also mean he becomes a tackle bot.

Fitz seems to be taking a bet each way with his lock... he's got:
- Finucane (basically a third prop... just move him to 10 already)
- McInness (smaller middle with quick feet and quick ptb's... 2020/21/22 style but still effective)
- Graham (was bringing him off the bench last year to act as a ball playing lock, but it's a completely different style to everything else he does)

Glad the Panthers won so don't have to play them in week 3.
Glad the Roosters won because I feel like them and the Storm are the next 2 biggest threats and have the best chance to knock Panthers out.

Warriors playing at home next week against the winner of Knights/Raiders.

I hope to see another blackout at Mt Smart. It was quite a sight to see that in '08 when they took on the Roosters. The atmosphere in that game was something else. One of the best finals games I've seen in the NRL era.

Back in '11 they got flogged 40-10 in the first week against the Broncos, ended up making the GF beating the Storm at AAMI Park in the Preliminary Final. I don't think they make it because they will have to beat us but I guess you can never write them off.

I didnt watch the game, but the way the media is reporting the sharks rooster game this morning, you'd think it was one for the ages. Reading this thread in hindsight, however, it sounds like one hell of a bludger. Is the media just talking it up to keep the finals interesting?

I didnt watch the game, but the way the media is reporting the sharks rooster game this morning, you'd think it was one for the ages. Reading this thread in hindsight, however, it sounds like one hell of a bludger. Is the media just talking it up to keep the finals interesting?
The media (and the NRL) have the misconception that a close score means the game must have been high quality.

I literally fell asleep during it. Admittedly I was lying on my bed at the time, but still.

It was horrendous for a finals games... mostly because sharks were awful and rorters got slaughtered from injuries.

First half both teams were terrible... second half rorters turned up but lost player after player (and should've lost more to HIA's, but left them on the field).

Sharks were just awful the whole game

Sharks did everything they could to lose that game. There were two moments that stood out.

In the 54th minute Sharks attack down the short side on the left, Mulitalo puts in a kick back in-field and Brailey makes a complete meal of it trying to grab the ball knocking it on over the try line.

Then in their next set with the ball, they're in the attacking zone and Sharks have the Roosters shot on the left but Brailey goes right instead and Tracey throws a cut out pass to Ramien who loses it.

Sharks should have had the game wrapped up at that point, but instead they fail to do so and Roosters come back to win the game.

The Roosters game had some value because they held on and found a way to win. You could argue the Sharks found a way to lose as well.
I thought it was a great game $50 SGM @ $22 Katoa, Wong and Roosters win :smoker:

I think the Raiders get pumped today. Ricky keeping Wighton at centre instead of 6 is puzzling to me.
Frawley has been bog average , I really thought Rick would change something .
He may be down on troops but I would have trusted Croker and Wighton 1 more time

Still blown away that this is the first time the Knights and Raiders have met in a finals match. Nuts

Unread

Active Now

• johnny plath
  • davidp
  • theshed
  • broncos4life
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Fitzy
  • YeahNahMate
  • Xzei
  • Skyblues87
  • Wolfie
  • Harry Sack
  • BroncosAlways
  • lynx000
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.