NRL 2024 Rule Amendments

*sigh*......I guess I'll wait another year to see if the NRL come to their senses and ditch the blight on the game that is the set restart rule.

*sigh*................... Sadly the reality is that it's probably not going to happen in my lifetime.

I guess my only hope is that @Santa can work on this and bring me this wish for xmas.
While I am happy to promise Broncos premierships, getting rid of the NRLs incompetence is a completely different matter. I'm not a miracle worker.

Another season completed and to the absolute surprise of no-one, the NRL have fucked with another rule.

this time they are tampering with the re-start rule. teams will no longer be penalised for an incorrect restart if they attempt a short kick-off / drop out.

the NRL spin doctor says:

“If a team kicks the ball out on the full over the touch line, or the ball fails to travel at least 10 metres forward in an attempt to contest a restart from the goal-line, 20m line, or halfway line, play will now restart with a play-the-ball 10 metres out from the line of the kick and 10 metres in from touch, rather than with a penalty kick,’’ Annesley said.

“The change will give more incentive for teams to attempt short kick-offs or drop-outs.

“While relatively minor, this change will add to the unpredictability of the game.

“Teams will no longer risk conceding significant territory as well as a penalty for attempting to regain possession from restarts of play.

“We undertook a thorough review of the 2023 season, including consultation with the NRL Clubs, the RLPA and other stakeholders, and while there was a strong desire to keep changes to a minimum, this minor change will incentivise short kick-offs and drop-outs.

“This will strongly accompany the Commission’s direction to enhance the existing rules, leading to a faster, more free-flowing and unpredictable game.”

The rules were absolutely fine when I grew up watching the game.

All the changes they've been doing over the last five years are so gimmicky. I hate it.

While I'd prefer to keep the risk/reward element, I don't think it'll drastically alter the game that much. Teams were already beginning to favour the short kick-off and it allows for more momentum shifts which was one of the key concerns with set restarts (if a team could dominate possession, the game was practically decided).

Still, the one change I would have preferred to have seen is let the defending team regain possession if it's inside the 10m. I just think it looks silly when you see the defensive team having to wait around until the ball rolls 10m, seems like an injury waiting to happen and they shouldn't be punished because the other team flubbed the kick.

I presume this change doesn't include kicking out on the full

Reynolds is going to lap up this new kick ruling. Yet again, the NRL is looking after us. Advantage Broncos.

Teams rarely did this for kickoffs until late in a game. Might be more prominent this year.

Another season completed and to the absolute surprise of no-one, the NRL have fucked with another rule.

this time they are tampering with the re-start rule. teams will no longer be penalised for an incorrect restart if they attempt a short kick-off / drop out.

“If a team kicks the ball out on the full over the touch line, or the ball fails to travel at least 10 metres forward in an attempt to contest a restart from the goal-line, 20m line, or halfway line, play will now restart with a play-the-ball 10 metres out from the line of the kick and 10 metres in from touch, rather than with a penalty kick,’’ Annesley said.

“The change will give more incentive for teams to attempt short kick-offs or drop-outs.

“While relatively minor, this change will add to the unpredictability of the game.

“Teams will no longer risk conceding significant territory as well as a penalty for attempting to regain possession from restarts of play.

“We undertook a thorough review of the 2023 season, including consultation with the NRL Clubs, the RLPA and other stakeholders, and while there was a strong desire to keep changes to a minimum, this minor change will incentivise short kick-offs and drop-outs.

“This will strongly accompany the Commission’s direction to enhance the existing rules, leading to a faster, more free-flowing and unpredictable game.”
Fucking shit rule.

They're talking about it for short drop outs, but teams didn't really care about conceding penalties on short drop outs... as evidence by all of 2023. A 10m ptb is effectively the same thing.

But is this also effectively like a free kick in union??

Like can teams that have a monster kicker aim to kick it dead on the full at the 50m line and the receiving team is then starting 10m in from touch at the 50m line??

So kick it dead and get your defences set is the default then ?
We saw what happened in the GF ...

The rules were absolutely fine when I grew up watching the game.

All the changes they've been doing over the last five years are so gimmicky. I hate it.

There have always been changes .
Pushing in scrums is no longer allowed .
It was a 5 yard rule in defence in the 80s . 60s it was unlimited tackles . Super League 1 marker .
Now you can take out the corner post in the act of scoring . Nothing stays constant .

I presume this change doesn't include kicking out on the full

If a team kicks the ball out on the full over the touch line, or the ball fails to travel at least 10 metres forward in an attempt to contest a restart from the goal-line, 20m line, or halfway line, play will now restart with a play-the-ball 10 metres out from the line of the kick and 10 metres in from touch, rather than with a penalty kick,’’ Annesley said.

Like can teams that have a monster kicker aim to kick it dead on the full at the 50m line and the receiving team is then starting 10m in from touch at the 50m line??
play will now restart with a play-the-ball 10 metres out from the line of the kick and 10 metres in from touch,

If a team kicks the ball out on the full over the touch line, or the ball fails to travel at least 10 metres forward in an attempt to contest a restart from the goal-line, 20m line, or halfway line, play will now restart with a play-the-ball 10 metres out from the line of the kick and 10 metres in from touch, rather than with a penalty kick,’’ Annesley said.
Sorry didn't finish my thought properly - I meant kicking it dead in-goal. I presume that will still be a penalty from half-way.

The risk vs reward of the short kick off is what makes the play such a big call and exciting for the fans.

Lowering the consequences of failure just softens it and it will just become a new norm.

Also, will it still be a penalty if a player touches the ball before travelling 10?

Jump back on twitter/X for the first time in a while and this is one of the first things I see...

We conceded a try in the GF doing the exact thing the NRL wants to 'encourage' which is the short dropout contest, but yeah they've changed it just for us 😂

There have always been changes .
Pushing in scrums is no longer allowed .
It was a 5 yard rule in defence in the 80s . 60s it was unlimited tackles . Super League 1 marker .
Now you can take out the corner post in the act of scoring . Nothing stays constant .

there is a BIG BIG difference between changing the odd rule to changing rules every fucking season (hell, multiple rule changes in many cases)

there is a BIG BIG difference between changing the odd rule to changing rules every fucking season (hell, multiple rule changes in many cases)

Old mate wanted it like when he was a kid ...
You know that saying ? Nothing as certain as change ?

Active Now

• Broncorob
  • Jedhead
  • Santa
  • BroncosAlways
  • Bucking Beads
  • Financeguy
  • Harry Sack
  • Lazza
  • Skathen
  • Mr Fourex
  • Mister Wright
  • IceWorks
  • Foordy
  • Waynesaurus
  • Wolfie
  • broncsgoat
  • Dony Eliakim
  • ChewThePhatt
  • bert_lifts
  • Alec
... and 14 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.