NRL 2024 Rule Amendments

Wish they would make changes that make sense rather than gimmicky nonsense.
How about not punishing players who knock the ball on over the try-line or go touch in-goal with a 7-tackle set.

If you knock the ball on or go into touch 1m out from line, other team gets the ball 10m out with play the ball or scrum.

But if you make the exact same mistake over the try line, 7-tackle set starting 20m out. Just make it how it always was, 20m restart 6 tackles.

Also agree with what Big Pete said about the defending team having to stand around and watch the ball until it goes 10m on short-kickoffs / drop-outs. It looks dumb because it is dumb.

The NRL needs to focus on the genuine flaws in the rules (mostly brought about by their own hasty rule changes) rather than this endless desire to make the game "more exciting".

Old mate wanted it like when he was a kid ...
You know that saying ? Nothing as certain as change ?
Nothing wrong with change at all, but these days, all the changes they make are to manufacture entertainment.

It's no longer a sporting contest, it's a business. They've been changing shit every year lately, it's tiresome.

When I referred to being a kid, I meant the rules then were a good balance of changes since the earlier days, yet still keeping the rule changes quite fair and sensible/logical. Nowadays it's about trying to find rules to change every year just so they can change something to make the 'product' more appealing.

I can't but help at looking at any rule changes with a cynical view to how it will improve things for his betting mates. Is unpredictability (which seem to be the aim of these changes, ie, to make more opportunities for contested possession) good for betting agencies? You'd have to think that unpredictability would get existing punters to place more bets - if any team can theoretically win (didn't the Tigers beat the Panthers not long ago???) it makes them look harder at those big-priced outsiders etc.

Nothing wrong with change at all, but these days, all the changes they make are to manufacture entertainment.

It's no longer a sporting contest, it's a business. They've been changing shit every year lately, it's tiresome.

When I referred to being a kid, I meant the rules then were a good balance of changes since the earlier days, yet still keeping the rule changes quite fair and sensible/logical. Nowadays it's about trying to find rules to change every year just so they can change something to make the 'product' more appealing.
Professional sport is part of the entertainment industry. When you were a kid they were paid in bags of peanuts.

I don’t think there was much risk with the way its been.

Teams are fine with conceding 2 points these days. Especially teams that had been defending their line for several sets and fatigue is setting in. It’s much better than 6.

They won’t have this anymore.

Every day we come closer to Blurn!

Here is an interesting stat from Dan Walsh's article in the SMH, This rule change is the is the 20th rule change or amendment in the past five years.

Was the game really that broken when Vlandys arrived?

He also writes:

"Since Peter V’landys became ARLC chairman at the end of 2019, a slew of changes or amendments have followed – to the point the NRL titled a release 12 months ago as ‘No new rule changes for 2023’ ... before detailing five updated interpretations."

The bloke is the worst thing to happen to league. But hey, at least he has the media in his pocket to keep blowing smoke up his butt.

The bloke is the worst thing to happen to league. But hey, at least he has the media in his pocket to keep blowing smoke up his butt.
John Ribot enters the chat.

now on to the interpretation changes for 2024. but first lets hear from the NRL's Director of Spin, Graham Annesley:

“Coaches have been pushing the envelope more and more so,” Annesley said.

“So it’s best to reset the standards now in training rather than on the field during matches.”

“We are doing a reset, this is not a clamp down,” he said.

“The reason we are doing it now and the reason we have had a meeting with the coaches is we want them to fix these issues in training so that when we get to match day we don’t have to worry about it.

“There isn’t a blitz.

“If the coaches prepare their teams on this basis then they won’t have any concerns. It’s not our objective to start and stop the game and blowing penalties all over the field.

“There has always been a downtown rule but we need to bring attention back to it,” Annesley said. “Now a player from the kicker’s team cannot advance until the point where the ball goes over their head. They have to stay at least level with the ruck until then. In recent years when they knew their team was going to kick the ball they would tear down the field.”

Screenshot 2024 02 03 210103

What does this not as strict on deliberate knock-ons actually refer to?

no idea .... I can't actually recall anyone ever being pinned for a deliberate knock on in league (Union is another story).

I was confused by that as well.

I presume they're talking about the rare examples where players 'spike' the ball to end the play. Usually it's ruled a deliberate forward pass, like when Josh Reynolds was ruled to have thrown the ball into a Titans player forward before going over the sideline, giving the Gold Coast one last opportunity before half-time.

I don't understand what good will come from the change. Unless I'm completely wrong, wouldn't you want to stamp out such a cynical play and force the ball carrier to find touch/take the tackle?

Speaking of, nothing on surrender tackles?

no idea .... I can't actually recall anyone ever being pinned for a deliberate knock on in league (Union is another story).

I've seen it a couple of times but they were a long long time ago.

It seems like refs these days don't punish it anymore. Round 12 '18 between Raiders and Manly, Raiders kick a field goal to lead 21-20 and Manly do a short kick off that doesn't go 10, Blake Austin taps the ball then deliberately knocks it on and Butler calls full time. Manly should have had a penalty on the 50 and a shot at goal to win the game.

However the following year when we played the Cowboys at Suncorp, Isaako throws the ball forward over the sideline and Atkens couldn't blow a penalty quick enough.

So all in all, they are softening a rule for a play that happens extremely rarely and perhaps not in a couple of years? Why? What’s the point if it rarely if ever happens?

Active Now

• Xzei
  • LittleDavey
  • Browny
  • Fozz
  • Brocko
  • KateBroncos1812
  • GCBRONCO
  • Dazza 92
  • Broncosgirl
  • kman
  • Bucking Beads
  • jd87
  • Sproj
  • Kev_Guz
  • Jazza
  • BroncsNBundy
  • Turky Murky
  • Mustafur
  • mystico
  • Financeguy
... and 14 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.