Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Typical of the Cowboys to be in the "Yellow Pool"

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
I really think this tournament is a waste of everyone's time.

M

Mt Smart

BRL Player
Aug 5, 2011
I really think this tournament is a waste of everyone's time.
ah tis what they said of the World cup , and now it's surpassing anything else played in rugby league this season and it's only round one.

If you look at world wide rugby league forums and read the emotion in the fans etc , it's making a mockery of doubts over whether it would be any good.

The Nines will be epic.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
NRL has announced a slew of rule modification for the tournament.

First off, the games are played in 9 minute halves.

Among them include...

5 point try - Players must score between the uprights, in what is being dubbed as the 'bonus zone' to add an extra point to the tally. The rule is designed to reward cover defence for preventing the scorer from improving the position.

Golden Point - Can only be determined by a try, goals and field goals have no bearing on the scoreboard. Both teams will have five minutes to reach a result in the qualifying games, if they exceed that time limit, the game will be deemed a draw and both teams will split the points. However, in the finals the game will continue until a try is scored.

Other rule changes for the Dick Smith NRL Auckland Nines include:
• Goal-kicks will not feature in the tournament, with dropkicks taken in line from where the try was scored worth two points. Penalty dropkicks will be worth two points with a field goal in general play remaining at one point.
• Scrums will consist of five players from each team and will only be used in the event of a double knock-on or a mutual infringement.
• In the event of a successful 40/20 kick, play will recommence with a tap re-start to the kicking team 20 metres in from where the ball crossed the touch line.
• Matches will be re-started by the scoring team through a drop kick off
• Referees will have the power to send players to the sin-bin for five minutes for foul play.

Source: NRL Nines Rules To Change The Game - Brisbane Broncos

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
At first, the bonus zone concept sounded stupid and gimmicky but I think it has merit for a competition like this and rewards an aspect of the game that often goes unappreciated.

I like the other rules too, sounds like the games are going to be bloody quick and that's what I want to see from this sport. The worst games for me are when it's too stop start and I'd like to see the game's administration adopt a similar mind-set when they address the rule book sometime in the future.

M

mieko

QCup Player
Aug 25, 2011
Anyone going to this or thinking about going?

The Broncos have a tour going thru a travel agency, looks pretty good. Don't know how to post links but check it out at Ambassador Travel website. Hosted by Alfie by the looks of it.

BroncosAlways

BroncosAlways

NRL Captain
Contributor
Jun 20, 2013
Anyone going to this or thinking about going?

The Broncos have a tour going thru a travel agency, looks pretty good. Don't know how to post links but check it out at Ambassador Travel website. Hosted by Alfie by the looks of it.

Yeah I'm thinking about doing it, the tour doesn't look so bad but just not sure yet
Otherwise ill probably go with some mates

Broncoman

Broncoman

State of Origin Rep
Oct 9, 2011
NRL has announced a slew of rule modification for the tournament.

First off, the games are played in 9 minute halves.

Among them include...

5 point try - Players must score between the uprights, in what is being dubbed as the 'bonus zone' to add an extra point to the tally. The rule is designed to reward cover defence for preventing the scorer from improving the position.

Golden Point - Can only be determined by a try, goals and field goals have no bearing on the scoreboard. Both teams will have five minutes to reach a result in the qualifying games, if they exceed that time limit, the game will be deemed a draw and both teams will split the points. However, in the finals the game will continue until a try is scored.

Other rule changes for the Dick Smith NRL Auckland Nines include:
• Goal-kicks will not feature in the tournament, with dropkicks taken in line from where the try was scored worth two points. Penalty dropkicks will be worth two points with a field goal in general play remaining at one point.
• Scrums will consist of five players from each team and will only be used in the event of a double knock-on or a mutual infringement.
• In the event of a successful 40/20 kick, play will recommence with a tap re-start to the kicking team 20 metres in from where the ball crossed the touch line.
• Matches will be re-started by the scoring team through a drop kick off
• Referees will have the power to send players to the sin-bin for five minutes for foul play.

Source: NRL Nines Rules To Change The Game - Brisbane Broncos

I like the Golden try idea, because of that extra-time won't be a scramble to kick a field goal. I also like the idea of a tap to restart play instead of a scrum, get's the game moving quicker. Scoring team restarting play...shades of the 1997 Super League.

M

mieko

QCup Player
Aug 25, 2011
Yeah I'm thinking about doing it, the tour doesn't look so bad but just not sure yet
Otherwise ill probably go with some mates

Nice one mate, it definitely will be a great experience, especially with Alf leading the charge.

Fozz

Fozz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Mar 4, 2008
Brad Fittler coming out of retirement at 42 to play the Nines.

Way to devalue the whole comp. Hope he gets lined up by every big prop/second rower and smashed.

Harry Sack

Harry Sack

International Rep
Forum Staff
Jun 12, 2013
Lol, has to be approved by the NRL first.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
Brad Fittler coming out of retirement at 42 to play the Nines.

Way to devalue the whole comp. Hope he gets lined up by every big prop/second rower and smashed.

I just saw that on Foxsports news and I deadest thought it was a joke.... Well in a way I was right. What about sterlo? Is he gonna strap on the boots again? God damn

Charmamba

Charmamba

Life is a Fantasy League
Jan 9, 2011
Just asked Fitler on twitter if he was having a joke, now to wait for the backlash from Roosters fans.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
I thought Langer was going to be playing too?

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Chris Garry got a cheeky remark about the Broncos signing him in 2014 and he said they are already in talks with him for 2014 and the Roosters are up in arms :laugh:

Last edited:
Broncoman

Broncoman

State of Origin Rep
Oct 9, 2011
It would easily bring fans through the gate and more attention. Brad Fittler was probably the greatest player I've ever seen and would still be fit enough I would imagine.

Active Now

• Culhwch
  • Harry Sack
  • Lostboy
  • Gaz
  • Bucking Beads
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Sproj
  • Battler
  • Ejbroncos
  • Robboi_321
  • Bish
  • FACTHUNT
  • Stix
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.