NRL Auckland Nines

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
Who really cares about watching a 40 year old Fitler play. In any case, I hope we play against him and McGuire destroys him.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
It would easily bring fans through the gate and more attention. Brad Fittler was probably the greatest player I've ever seen and would still be fit enough I would imagine.

Really? Like I know you love the roosters but really??? Greatest player you have ever seen?

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
I reckon Johns, Lockyer, Thurston and Smith were/are all better than Fittler ever was.
All players who retired after Fittler btw, so BroncoRoosterman would have seen them too.

Last edited:
Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
The game can't win.

If teams try too hard and play conservative footy it's considered boring.

If teams lighten up and try and entertain it's equally marginalised.

Freddy coming back is nice promotion and adds a little bit of intrigue to the competition.

Socnorb

Socnorb

NRL Captain
Contributor
Aug 5, 2013
It would easily bring fans through the gate and more attention. Brad Fittler was probably the greatest player I've ever seen and would still be fit enough I would imagine.
Did you miss D Lockyer ?

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
Mehh ....novelty value. They'll probably have him miked up as well.

Get ready for some idiotic Fittler ramblings in between his desperate gasps for air.

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
Brad Fittler was probably the greatest player I've ever seen and would still be fit enough I would imagine.

Yes.....I'm sure you're doing quite a bit of imagining there Bman. :laugh:

Broncoman

Broncoman

State of Origin Rep
Oct 9, 2011
Everybody has their own opinion on who are the greatest players to have played the game. Obviously my NSW bias comes across here but I was one of his biggest fans when he was playing I thought his leadership, strong running capability, game-reading skills and kicking game was nothing short of sensational. He was the sole reason why I went for the Roosters when I was younger. I was only 9 when he retired and it was only a few years back when I wondered why I loved watching him so much and I think it's a pretty good reason to admire a player.

Darren Lockyer was an absolute champ on and off the field though and I found it a privilege to support him and he is in my top 5 favourite players.

Last edited:
Kaz

Kaz

State of Origin Captain
Mar 5, 2008
It would easily bring fans through the gate and more attention.

All fans would be hoping that his voice box gets crushed, so we don't have to listen to him rambling during games.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
This will be great until Milford goes down and Sticky whinges black and blue. One serious injury to a big name player and it's all over permanently.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
That said, I'd like to see us go with this:

Barba, Copley, Yow Yeh, Mills
Strasser
McGuire, Oates, Molo, Granville

I especially want JYY to play to give him some confidence and game time before the season proper and I think a lot of fans even from other clubs would love to see him back.

M

Mt Smart

BRL Player
Aug 5, 2011
ALmost a sell out.

in the last few hours Tickets went from 4000 available to a measly 1800 this morning.

Brilliant for Rugby league to take the Union Sevens tournament on ( Wellington annual sell out feature ) ......Sales have outstripped Union Sales......never thought I would see the day.

M

Mt Smart

BRL Player
Aug 5, 2011
I was talking to a colleague who is in the New Zealand Police Force tonight.

Her friend has scored the Job of being the Police Minder of the Broncos.

He is absolutely rapt ( the candidates were chosen form known Rugby league supporters / cops who have a lot of input into Rugby league at community level ).

How's this for a gig.

The assigned officer has to stay in the Hotel , Sit on the Bench in plain clothes at training an during games......When you see someone you don't recognise on TV during the Shots of the team sideline that's one of ours

Last edited:
M

Mt Smart

BRL Player
Aug 5, 2011
The war of sport
LOGAN SAVORY

There's an intriguing war going on in New Zealand sport at the moment and it's fascinating to watch it unfold.

It's a battle that's not playing out on the field, instead it's a showdown of officialdom, ideas, marketing nous and I'm sure a touch of ego tossed in from both parties.

Rugby versus league, Wellington versus Auckland - take your pick.

I'm talking about the tug-of-war between the IRB rugby sevens tournament in Wellington on February 8 and 9 and the inaugural NRL Nines league tournament to be played in Auckland a week later on February 15 and 16.

Publicly the two organisations are not entering into a war of words but it's quite obvious there's a scrap going on as to which one can dominate the sporting market at that time of year.

They are competing for spectators and media interest and the press releases from both sides in my email inbox highlight just how hard they are trying to push their case at the moment.

Yesterday Sevens Wellington issued a release saying that from today 3000 tickets will be available for those that just want to attend one day of the two-day tournament, instead of having to buy a two-day pass.

''Tournament general manager Marty Donoghue said due to a high demand from fans, a limited number of one-day tickets would be available from Ticketek as of [today],'' the statement said.

Call me cynical but there's a whole heap of spin attached to that message.

I would suggest tickets are not in as high demand as they are making out - in fact, the organisers are simply looking for a different way to ensure it is still a sellout with interest lacking compared to previous years.

They will still most likely achieve that sellout by the time the tournament rolls around but it has been a much tougher job for them this year.

Every year when the Wellington Sevens tickets went on sale in September the story would centre around how many minutes it took for them to be all snapped up.

If you missed that 15-minute window it would then come down to whether you knew anyone who could get their hands on some of the tickets that did not go on sale to the general public.

It is four months on from when the tickets went on general sale and they are still pushing sales.

It could be just one heck of a coincidence but it seems the instigation of the NRL Nines has had an effect and they are going head to head.

Some groups who are looking for a weekend away at that time of year are giving the Auckland event a go this year it would seem.

What will be interesting is which of the tournaments grip the country in the long term.

What Wellington has is a history of success in attracting people to their event and showing them a good time, while the NRL Nines is still a baby as far as sporting events go.

Wellingtonhas set the bar high.However, what the NRL Nines has on its side is star power.

You can either go watch, say, Warriors playmaker Shaun Johnson run the cutter in the NRL Nines tournament or DJ Forbes doing the business for the New Zealand sevens team.

In between watching Forbes and his troops play you might have to sit through Kenya versus Spain while after Johnson's antics you could be watching the Melbourne Storm take on the South Sydney Rabbitohs.

When you factor in star appeal it leans heavily the way of the Auckland event.

What will probably determine whether the NRL Nines continues to be a success in years to come and pulls people to Auckland is just how the nine-a-side format plays out.

There are some doubters as to whether nine-a-side rugby league will be the exciting spectacle that it is being marketed as but only time will tell on that front.

Logan Savory Southland Times Opinion | Rugby Versus... | Stuff.co.nz

BroncosAlways

BroncosAlways

NRL Captain
Contributor
Jun 20, 2013
Fittler cleared to play Nines.
Sigh

Active Now

• Harry Sack
  • Fatboy
  • Organix
  • Aldo
  • john1420
  • leon.bott
  • Battler
  • Sproj
  • bazza
  • levikaden
  • The Strapper
  • Tim K
  • RolledOates
  • mrslong
  • Mr Fourex
  • sooticus
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.