NRL bans shoulder charges

Thanks Nashy, I'm certain he doesn't need you defending him as you seem to. If what you are saying is correct and it states that in the rule then he could have said that.

My query is simple, according to the official NRL definition of what a shoulder charge is you can effect a shoulder charge in attack. Given that the reason they banned that type of contact is to protect players from head injury why then is it legal under the new laws to shoulder charge when you have the ball?

Shoulder Charge
Is where a defender, without attempting to tackle, grab or hold the ball-carrier (or any opposing player) using the arms or hands, makes direct physical contact using the shoulder or the upper arm (tucked into the side).
It will be considered misconduct, if any player affects a tackle in the manner as defined.
The indicators will include:
1. Rotation of the defenders hips and shoulders
2. Defender has ‘tucked’ his arm into his body.

Last edited:
Defender being the keyword. Can't be a defender when you're attacking.

Are you being deliberately obtuse? I am not questioning the wording of the rule or definition.

The ARLC are basically saying that it's only dangerous to make contact with a shoulder charge in defence.

Last edited:
A shoulder charge is defined as an action that a defender does. An attacking player cannot do a shoulder charge. What part of this aren't you understanding? Unless you want them to ban hitups and make it touch footy I don't know what you would suggest they do?

Last edited:
FFS Ap you are taking the piss right?

An attacking player simply cannot do as much damage to a defender with a hitup as a defender can do to the attacker with a shoulder charge. One person is carrying a ball, that automatically makes it impossible for them to do as much damage.

like I said, unless you want to make it touch footy there's nothing that can be done about attacking players using their shoulder as first impact.

Disagree on the the amount of damage that can be done whilst carrying the ball, you have 2 shoulders don't you.

I didn't agree with the new rule at all because they had a mechanism to deal with it to start with in the attacking the head rule, IMO they should have left it there.

Is it just me or does Sandow seem to be off the radar for shoulder charges being pulled up?

I thought so too, he should have got penalised a few times last night.

Considering they used Sandow in an example on their Laws of the Game videos, that's so ridiculous. Last night was blatant!

If they're only going to pull up the ones that are dangerous and make high contact, fine. But say that. Don't claim the shoulder charge is banned if you're not going to penalise them.

I've heard that the refs are worried about being unable to contain their laughter when pulling Sandow for a shoulder charge...

Active Now

• Dony Eliakim
  • Manlyman
  • Midean
  • broncos4life
  • Justwin
  • GCBRONCO
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Broncosgirl
  • LittleDavey
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Sproj
  • Foordy
  • Brocko
  • Lostboy
  • Browny
  • Bongo
  • Bucking Beads
  • Allo
  • Skathen
... and 13 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.