NRL General Discussion Thread - 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Under the trial rules, each captain will be allowed to challenge the referee's decision in relation to tries only.

The referee will be required to make a decision on the field and it will only be reviewed by the bunker if a challenge is made.

Captain's Challenge trial - NRL.com

KFC won't be happy.

Broncoman

Broncoman

State of Origin Rep
Oct 9, 2011
Just saw on Triple M NRL that Mal actually wants to pick Mitchell Pearce as backup for Cam Smith.

abashii

abashii

NRL Player
Contributor
Jul 14, 2014
What a joke. That's what the video ref is supposedly for. Basically every try is checked anyway, how pointless.

That's entirely the point - previously almost every try was checked and now it will only be checked if the captain challenges the ref's on-field call. Given they risk losing a challenge if they're wrong there's a strong incentive for the captain to only challenge if he's confident the decision was incorrect. It sounds pretty good to me.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
That's entirely the point - previously almost every try was checked and now it will only be checked if the captain challenges the ref's on-field call. Given they risk losing a challenge if they're wrong there's a strong incentive for the captain to only challenge if he's confident the decision was incorrect. It sounds pretty good to me.
So the onus is on the players now to know which decision was incorrect and try to overturn it? Instead of on the refs?

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
Just saw on Triple M NRL that Mal actually wants to pick Mitchell Pearce as backup for Cam Smith.

I guess we need to send our 5th string team to make it fair on England and Scotland.

Harry Sack

Harry Sack

International Rep
Forum Staff
Jun 12, 2013

There's 3-4 other actual hookers I'd pick over that dip shit.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
Mitchel Pearce as a backup for Cam Smith. What is this a dog training festival or a game of league?

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Not to mention that if they desperately want a half as a back up 9 for some weird reason, Hunt was fantastic in that role when he played for Aus.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
If he has to pick a NSW'ker for the utility position, surely he would look at Wallace before Pearce?

Fozz

Fozz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Mar 4, 2008
The 7th Tackle Mitchell Pearce Hooker PMXIII Squad

We can reveal Pearce has been earmarked for the PMXIII team that will travel to Papua New Guinea to take on the Kumuls later this month.
Selection in the annual fixture has not been traditionally been a reliable guide to higher honours. But this year is different, because Test coachMal Meningawill personally guide the team.

Looking at the current bottom 8, the only quality hooker ruled out is Jake Friend. Mal obviously wouldn't want anything to do with a locker room cancer like Farah either. And I'm going to guess the Titans and Dogs will be elimated first up so that also rules out Peats. So Peats and Jake Friend in favour of Pearce? Ehhhh.

Meninga has closely watched the successful transition of Peter Wallace as Penrith as a pointer to use Pearce in that role.
Like Wallace, Pearce is a tremendous defender capable of toughing out 80 minutes in the middle.
The same cannot be necessarily said of his main rival for the role,BroncosNo. 7Ben Hunt.

Pearce averages 23.6 tackles a game with 2.7 missed, Hunt 22.6 with 3.8 missed.

d6f.jpg

Last edited:
tommy

tommy

International Rep
Jun 5, 2015
Mal obviously feels bad about all the floggings Mitchell Pearce copped at the hands of teams coached by him. Mal is showing he is a man of compassion.

Last edited:
Battler

Battler

State of Origin Rep
Dec 4, 2013
If Pearce plays for Aus I will 100% believe the NSW fans' claims that he did SFA in terms of actually coaching QLD.

Broncoman

Broncoman

State of Origin Rep
Oct 9, 2011
If Pearce plays for Aus I will 100% believe the NSW fans' claims that he did SFA in terms of actually coaching QLD.

Tbh any team with Slater, Smith, Cronk, Thurston, Inglis etc wouldn't take much coaching skill. My sister could take that team to success. You do know Mal was fired from the Raiders for a reason.

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008
Tbh any team with Slater, Smith, Cronk, Thurston, Inglis etc wouldn't take much coaching skill. My sister could take that team to success. You do know Mal was fired from the Raiders for a reason.

He had real coaches around him, and he was there to make sure the boys were proud to be playing for their state, and to not let our state down. The Blues would go a long way by getting someone in like that.

Fozz

Fozz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Mar 4, 2008
Someone tell Broncowoman her brother is saying she's a shit coach.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Why doesn't Gus ever cop the same criticism as Mal?

Or do you only get credit if you won a premiership in the NRL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• Mustafur
  • MrMoore
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.