NRL General Discussion Thread - 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the finish 5th they should be playing Sunday. At least according to this article.

It only becomes a problem for us if we finish 6th

NRL surrendered home-ground advantage to AFL over finals at ANZ Stadium

That link isn't working but last year elim final 1 was 5 v 8 and that final according to fox programming is at 6pm Sat night. Maybe they have some flexibility or maybe I am reading stuff incorrectly. It is confusing but it appears we will be playing on Sunday and the NRL have changed the order of the finals.

Roy Masters says this

The usual NRL protocol is for team 1 to play team 4 on the Friday night; teams 2 v 3 and 6 v 7 to play on Saturday, with 5 v 8 on Sunday.

but last year it was this
[FONT=&amp]Elimination Final 1: Saturday, September 12, 5.50pm, ANZ Stadium[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]NRL: (5) Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs v (8) St George Illawarra Dragons[/FONT]

Last edited:
Why do we need a captains challenge ...

The on field refs always go to the video anyway ... then the video ref stuffs up the decision
What if they could contest the video ref? Lol.

Honestly I'm all for it. There's so many **** ups, that even if this doesn't help, it'll at least spotlight the **** ups even more. And maybe, just maybe, the NRL will employ refs with brains and completely neutrality to officiate the game.

Last edited:
Good news. I see teams milking the 20 seconds though.

I can see the merit in having a captains challenge as it works quite well in the cricket. The only worry I have with it is that with limitless challenges it could be overused and take up to much time especially since Gallen and Thurston debate almost anything that goes against their team.

I think they are going to place a limit on how many challenges a captain can make.

Am I reading this right? They're changing the rules for the finals series? Without any previous trialling in the NRL?

I like the captain's challenge idea, but this is a ridiculous time to bring it in.

Am I reading this right? They're changing the rules for the finals series? Without any previous trialling in the NRL?

I like the captain's challenge idea, but this is a ridiculous time to bring it in.

Agreed, bringing it in now without any notice is bound to cause issues. Even if all the calls are 100% correct someone's going to chuck a fit about it.

So the AFL manage to trial rules in the pre-season, NRL tries things during the finals. I can't wait to see what they've got in store for the GF!

Edit: it's only during St George v Newcastle in this round. So it's a nothing game, but I still don't see why it wouldn't be better done during the preseason trials.

Last edited:
We are so reactionary to sections of the media. I think it was Warren Smith who championed the 2 refs cause for years until everyone was on board now most Commentators are calling for it to be chopped citing confusion and inconsistency between refs.

The media just has too much say.

I'm pretty sure the captains challenge will only be in the warriors knights game not in the finals

Will it be one challenge per half, or one incorrect challenge per half?

Now if only they could challenge the bunkers nincompoopery.

If it is one INCORRECT challenge, these games are going to go for four hours, almost every decision the refs make can and should be challenged.

If it is one INCORRECT challenge, these games are going to go for four hours, almost every decision the refs make can and should be challenged.

But the refs are precious stubborn *****, they won't concede a mistake easily.

Challenges are only allowed on tries AFAIK, and the captain will have 20 seconds to decide whether to challenge or not.

Challenges are only allowed on tries AFAIK, and the captain will have 20 seconds to decide whether to challenge or not.
What a joke. That's what the video ref is supposedly for. Basically every try is checked anyway, how pointless.

What a joke. That's what the video ref is supposedly for. Basically every try is checked anyway, how pointless.

I think they can refer the Try/No Try decision by the on-field Ref.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Nerd
  • Allo
  • Fozz
  • GCBRONCO
  • KateBroncos1812
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • davidp
  • Sproj
  • lynx000
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Bucking Beads
  • Culhwch
  • NSW stables
  • Foordy
  • Xzei
  • Mister Wright
  • Financeguy
  • Painin the Haas
  • Wolfie
  • Galah
... and 11 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.