NRL General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I certainly look forward to the Broncos being shafted at every opportunity, on the field by the refs, at the judiciary, and through the media, just so they can disillusion Broncos fans as much as possible so they'll jump on to Brisbane New™.

You can bet your ass this is going to happen in some capacity, but right now the club is doing plenty on its own to do just that.

The moment Paul White is appointed the CEO of Brisbane 2 is when I will be flipping tables.

Last edited:
Sydney are looking to bend the rules again. Boyd's concussion problems go back but they're going to use the one he suffered in Origin (although he was judged OK to return to the field) to receive some salary cap relief.

Ahhh ok so we joke that the salary cap is a total rort, but the NRL Facebook account just put up the below for the rabbits.

How the **** can they sign Arrow, Mansour, Benji, Moga, Host and Milne... for the losses of Amone, Dillon, Johns, Lowe, Roberts, Allan and Sironen.

The only one of any value was Roberts (Lowe was subsidized by cows and had no where else to go).

Screenshot 20210201 191239 Facebook

Ahhh ok so we joke that the salary cap is a total rort, but the NRL Facebook account just put up the below for the rabbits.

How the **** can they sign Arrow, Mansour, Benji, Moga, Host and Milne... for the losses of Amone, Dillon, Johns, Lowe, Roberts, Allan and Sironen.

The only one of any value was Roberts (Lowe was subsidized by cows and had no where else to go).

View attachment 11248
Not to mention the upgrade for Mitchell

Sydney are looking to bend the rules again. Boyd's concussion problems go back but they're going to use the one he suffered in Origin (although he was judged OK to return to the field) to receive some salary cap relief.
Yes but never fear James Hooper has completed his solemn duty of being a conduit to the people and outlined why it's a good thing for the roosters to get a salary cap exemption because one of the 12 concussions he's received happened to occur in a rep game.

.... wait a second.... was Cordner even concussed in that game 🙄🙄🙄

Why do they need salary cap dispensation when they clearly have enough free in their books so sign the next Cronk & Tedesco should they become available?

Why do they need salary cap dispensation when they clearly have enough free in their books so sign the next Cronk & Tedesco should they become available?

because they want to add the next JT to that list

It's worth noting that the Raiders received salary cap dispensation for John Bateman who had shoulder surgery on a congenital defect. Even so, that appeared to only come to a head because of the injury he suffered while playing for Great Britain. This appears to be an entirely separate kettle of fish. Again it's worth noting that Cordner was cleared to return to the field, so the concussion wasn't considered serious enough until Cordner decided to take precautionary action. It was the head knocks suffered earlier in the year that influenced that decision.

So in other words, it would be like a player who suffered a PCL injury, tried to play the first game on it, struggled and said yeah nah I'm ruling myself out.

I think it'd be a load of crap if the Roosters were awarded this dispensation because they've decided to ease Cordner into the season, while the Gold Coast Titans have to accept what happened to Brimson even though he suffered the actual injury during the game and it affects their pre-season.

I hope the NRL puts their foot down on this and we don't see a trend at the World Cup where players play the opening game go yeah nah and suddenly teams are getting a cool $700,000 off their cap.

It's worth noting that the Raiders received salary cap dispensation for John Bateman who had shoulder surgery on a congenital defect. Even so, that appeared to only come to a head because of the injury he suffered while playing for Great Britain. This appears to be an entirely separate kettle of fish. Again it's worth noting that Cordner was cleared to return to the field, so the concussion wasn't considered serious enough until Cordner decided to take precautionary action. It was the head knocks suffered earlier in the year that influenced that decision.

So in other words, it would be like a player who suffered a PCL injury, tried to play the first game on it, struggled and said yeah nah I'm ruling myself out.

I think it'd be a load of crap if the Roosters were awarded this dispensation because they've decided to ease Cordner into the season, while the Gold Coast Titans have to accept what happened to Brimson even though he suffered the actual injury during the game and it affects their pre-season.

I hope the NRL puts their foot down on this and we don't see a trend at the World Cup where players play the opening game go yeah nah and suddenly teams are getting a cool $700,000 off their cap.

Foran last year got the the Dogs $350k. Hodgson too got the Raiders money in 2018.

I

Last edited:
Thank god for that magic grass the put down at Suncorp, we have all seen how well it holds up under it's current load so can be confident it won't have any issues with multiple games played on it every weekend across the 3 codes that use it.
It's 2021 and frankly it's just not acceptable that a Stadium with the resources of Lang Park in this day and age still has such regular issues with the playing surface. How they haven't resolved this even after all these years really beggars belief.

He hasn't got them fooled, V'Landys has been News Corp's man since forever. They're not going to rip in and go hard at the bloke selling them long-term deals for less.
Bingo. Can't believe more people out there can't see this for what it is.

Less and less every year. They have successfully conditioned us to be that way.
If people don't go to games regularly then they'll never really become rusted on fans in the same way that previous generations did.

Unfortunately, we sold the game's soul to the television broadcasters and we're finally seeing the fallout from that after 30 years of actively driving fans away from stadiums and into their loungerooms. Millennials are the first generation to really grow up with Rugby League as a TV spectacle first and foremost, and something you actually attend a distant second. We're in fact not far off entering an era where a second and even a third generation of fans simply won't remember a time when the likes of Souths or the Bulldogs played anywhere else besides a 20% full ANZ Stadium where everything in the ground costs more than many of them earn in an hour of work and you have to park in another suburb if you don't want to catch the train.

Millennials are not far from entering their prime earning years and they by rights should be ideal targets for selling Memberships, game day tickets, corporate partnerships etc, but considering they grew up in an era where the game did basically everything in it's power to make sure none of them attended games, that level of support and therefor disposable income is far less likely to make it into the coffers of the clubs than it did in previous generations.

Last edited:
Well they are missing out if they don't want to go to games, there is nothing like the stadium experience, I've only ever been to Suncorp but every time I walk in there the size of the place and the atmosphere is just awesome, TV just cant replace that.

Oh and no stupid ass commentators to listen too.

Foran last year got the the Dogs $350k. Hodgson too got the Raiders money in 2018.

I
Rapana also received it and all of them suffered serious injuries while representing their country.

Did any of them suffer the same injury prior to those matches and then try to claim it on them?

Well they are missing out if they don't want to go to games, there is nothing like the stadium experience, I've only ever been to Suncorp but every time I walk in there the size of the place and the atmosphere is just awesome, TV just cant replace that.

Oh and no stupid ass commentators to listen too.

Rant incoming

Suncorp is great, but I honestly hate going to the footy now in hindsight, and I was a ticketed member for about 4 years.

Now disclaimer is that I hate people, and not super keen on being around a huge crowd if I can help it

But you sit in the cold (in winter) only ever at night, be early enough to get to your seat before the rush, or be one of those people that get daggers from everyone trying to get halfway into a row just as the game starts. Then every time you or someone wants to leave you have to swivel or stand up to let them get past, taking focus off the game and the same for when they return. (I never left my seat personally to go do anything ever)

Miss parts of the game to either go to the toilet or get food or drinks. Wait for other people’s drinks to be inevitably spilled on or near you. Unless you have great viewing seats, only see one side of the action if that, meanwhile listening to some of the absolute dumbest people in society try and talk about football. Then when the game finishes, squeeze through the bottleneck exits and wait in line for a bus, walk to either Milton or Roma St and hope you’re home sometime before 11pm.

Rapana also received it and all of them suffered serious injuries while representing their country.

Did any of them suffer the same injury prior to those matches and then try to claim it on them?

Didn't Foran have multiple shoulder operations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• MrMoore
  • BroncsNBundy
  • Financeguy
  • Fozz
  • broncsgoat
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.