NRL General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol. Oh NRL, never change. Always competently incompetent.

"Based on legal advice, both parties agreed that it was not legally possible to appoint Michael Fuller to the ARLC while he is the Commissioner of NSW Police. "The ARLC is disappointed that Commissioner Fuller will not be able to join the commission given the skills, experience and value he would have brought to the game. "However, the commission respects and understands the NSW Government's advice on the matter." The vacancy on the board will be filled at a later date, the ARLC said

Last edited:
The million was for the last year of the five year deal- backing himself to be a million dollar player in five years. Not the entire deal.

Sam was 16 and in grade 12 when the Roosters got him- how much younger do you want clubs to get players? Walker doesn't deserve to be in your rant about development.
Zzzzzzzz.... man, what is it with you and defending the roosters and storm. I don't care if the million is 10 years away ffs. What are the roosters paying him to pull him away from a million dollar deal, period! This is a player who may not be able to play a game this year and the team in front of him is recent 2 time premiers with the best fullback in the game, the best centre in the game, and littered with top 3 players in EVERY SINGLE POSITION...

Here's a fucking idea, how about the roosters HAVE A FUCKING COMPETION/CATCHMENT! There is no eastern suburbs competition, that's how much they have done for the game in their region.

Your defence of them and the storm is laughable when you continuously bash/point out the Broncos about "not developing players, it was the (insert QLD cup team here)". You literally cherry pick when people say Brisbane develop players, non stop, that's when they were in the system from 15 too haha...

The Suaalii deal is really on the nose. He was in a tug of war between Souths and the ARU where he was set to earn a reported $3,000,000. Then the Roosters emerged at the last minute and it came out he actually didn't want the pressure of being one of the highest paid players and was happy to accept a more modest club from the Roosters.

Then to make matters more interesting, the NRL have supposedly bent the rules for them once again to allow Suaalii to participate in the game despite not being of age.

When you consider the circumstances surrounding SBW and Boyd Cordner it really doesn't seem fair on the rest of the competition.

With that said, they do have a junior competition made up of teams like Paddington, Clovelly, Bondi etc. They also have affiliations with North Sydney Rugby League and the Central Coast. Depending on how strict you want to be with junior catchments, then the only Brisbane players who actually came through the Broncos system are Carrigan, Bullemor and Copley. I don't think it's fair and if a club happens to develop a player who originally came from Timbukto than more power to them.

The Suaalii deal is really on the nose. He was in a tug of war between Souths and the ARU where he was set to earn a reported $3,000,000. Then the Roosters emerged at the last minute and it came out he actually didn't want the pressure of being one of the highest paid players and was happy to accept a more modest club from the Roosters.

Then to make matters more interesting, the NRL have supposedly bent the rules for them once again to allow Suaalii to participate in the game despite not being of age.

When you consider the circumstances surrounding SBW and Boyd Cordner it really doesn't seem fair on the rest of the competition.

With that said, they do have a junior competition made up of teams like Paddington, Clovelly, Bondi etc. They also have affiliations with North Sydney Rugby League and the Central Coast. Depending on how strict you want to be with junior catchments, then the only Brisbane players who actually came through the Broncos system are Carrigan, Bullemor and Copley. I don't think it's fair and if a club happens to develop a player who originally came from Timbukto than more power to them.
My understanding was the eastern suburbs league merged with the south Sydney league a few years ago due to dwindling numbers, at least in most age groups. There may still be a few age groups that survived with a 4 team competition or something(?).

Sure, develop players from anywhere sometimes. But what the roosters do is not developing them. All 3 of these players are 1 year away from first grade and talked about being stars well before the roosters came in. That's not developing them, that's simply waiting and cherry picking desput3 1910s defences of it. If Broncos did the same thing with QLD cup players he would undoubtedly say they were developed by qld cup sides.

The suuali deal highlights to me how gullible people would have to believe that there is no involvement from owners like politis. I guarantee if the thoroughbreds make a passionate and strong re-involvement with us and we get off the stock exchange/public company we will become a powerhouse again.

Zzzzzzzz.... man, what is it with you and defending the roosters and storm. I don't care if the million is 10 years away ffs. What are the roosters paying him to pull him away from a million dollar deal, period! This is a player who may not be able to play a game this year and the team in front of him is recent 2 time premiers with the best fullback in the game, the best centre in the game, and littered with top 3 players in EVERY SINGLE POSITION...

Here's a fucking idea, how about the roosters HAVE A FUCKING COMPETION/CATCHMENT! There is no eastern suburbs competition, that's how much they have done for the game in their region.

Your defence of them and the storm is laughable when you continuously bash/point out the Broncos about "not developing players, it was the (insert QLD cup team here)". You literally cherry pick when people say Brisbane develop players, non stop, that's when they were in the system from 15 too haha...

Never once ever said the Broncos don't develop players that would be stupid. When people say he's a Broncos junior I say no he is not.

You said it's a five million dollar deal- get your facts right it wasn't.

Easts do have a junior comp, Clovelly is the most beautiful junior ground in the world.

Last edited:
The suuali deal highlights to me how gullible people would have to believe that there is no involvement from owners like politis. I guarantee if the thoroughbreds make a passionate and strong re-involvement with us and we get off the stock exchange/public company we will become a powerhouse again.

Politis isn't an owner.

My understanding was the eastern suburbs league merged with the south Sydney league a few years ago due to dwindling numbers, at least in most age groups. There may still be a few age groups that survived with a 4 team competition or something(?).

Sure, develop players from anywhere sometimes. But what the roosters do is not developing them. All 3 of these players are 1 year away from first grade and talked about being stars well before the roosters came in. That's not developing them, that's simply waiting and cherry picking desput3 1910s defences of it. If Broncos did the same thing with QLD cup players he would undoubtedly say they were developed by qld cup sides.

At 16, Sam had never played ISC, never played anything above Meninga- how much younger than 16 do you want players brought to clubs?

If someone said Sam was a Roosters junior I would 100% tell them no he isn't but if someone says the Roosters developed him 100% they did- if he plays NRL there.

You and everyone else didn't know who Sam was until the Roosters signed him from IGS. Sam wasn't talked about at all- bar me- before Ikin tipped Kent on 360.

Last edited:
Chairperson but he runs the club, playing semantics is pretty frustrating.

I am not business minded but I would say they're pretty different- Is Morris the owner of the Broncos?

If you're going to rant about owners then it's pretty important to be talking about owners not non-owners I would think that's central to your argument.

Broncos have been listed since 1989.

Depending on how strict you want to be with junior catchments, then the only Brisbane players who actually came through the Broncos system are Carrigan, Bullemor and Copley. I don't think it's fair and if a club happens to develop a player who originally came from Timbukto than more power to them.

Agree 10000%. People don't understand development and juniors- Broncos are great at development but not juniors.

Why should they be. Go get Walsh from the Coast, I couldn't care less if he isn't from Brisbane.

Last edited:
Surprise, surprise.......................Turbo down and out with a hamstring injury, set to miss first three rounds........................................ at least.

There were plans for the Sydney Roosters and South Sydney Junior comps to merge to have their junior teams compete against one another but that fell through years ago. Souths and Sydney have been embroiled in a turf war in decades which makes the discussion surrounding junior clubs murky. Clubs that were traditionally affiliated with the Roosters have switched back and forth between the clubs and the zoning has changed throughout the years. They've constantly been poaching players from one another, with Angus Crichton being a good example. Angus was actually brought up through the Roosters system, but then Souths swooped in before the Roosters swooped back.

Suaalii is just another player caught up in that turf war. However, since he was originally an NRL squad player for Souths, I agree that he wasn't developed by the Roosters.

I'm going to have to disagree with Walker. While he was on a Broncos scholarship I don't think the Broncos developed him. The Broncos cast a wide net and while they'll support players and run coaching seminars, it's still largely up to the QRL affiliate to do the hands on. The actual NRL development doesn't take place until they're eligible. This was different when the 20s were still around and before then the Clydesdales but that's how things have operated in the past few years.

Sam didn't start his NRL development until he was signed by the Roosters who took a chance on him after his impressive form for the Jets in the MM Cup.

I do think the conversation around QRL development gets muddled at times. The Queensland clubs operate differently from the Sydney clubs which is why Gus has been promoting national reserve grade because he views the Queensland model as inferior. The major difference is that the pathways in Sydney are streamlined, the best players from that district go through the grades from U/13s on under one banner. With the Queensland teams, all the players are separated into their Queensland affiliate teams and the clubs just take the best prospects and allow the rest to sort themselves out via their respective QRL districts with some oversight from the club.

Where I think it gets muddled is when you get a player like Jordan Riki who was signed by the Broncos via Christchurch and sent to Norths. Brisbane didn't sign him because of Norths, he wasn't a QCup product but he did spend some time there honing his craft.

On the flipside, somebody like Billy Slater is a product of the Queensland Cup since he took an opportunity at Norths and earned an NRL contract.

The reason why I went down that tangent is because 1910 has a point, but it gets muddled in the different development structures in NSW/Qld or the conversation based around the significance of QCup etc.

I like it when you are on board with our conspiracies, you're much more level-headed than us and for you to be giving it oxygen says something...

Politis isn't an owner.
Are you SERIOUSLY insinuating politis has no financial input into the roosters... ffs, that'll do me.....

Last edited:
At 16, Sam had never played ISC, never played anything above Meninga- how much younger than 16 do you want players brought to clubs?

If someone said Sam was a Roosters junior I would 100% tell them no he isn't but if someone says the Roosters developed him 100% they did- if he plays NRL there.

You and everyone else didn't know who Sam was until the Roosters signed him from IGS. Sam wasn't talked about at all- bar me- before Ikin tipped Kent on 360.
You're horn tooting is next level sometimes. Do you talk about yourself in the 3rd person and reference yourself in conversations in person too?

I heard about walker before you mentioned him on here, just like a lot of people did. We didn't see him play but he has been talked about for YEARS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Turky Murky
  • cento
  • NSW stables
  • ezpz
  • Sproj
  • Fitzy
  • Behold
  • Foordy
  • BruiserMk1
  • BroncosAlways
  • PETERN
  • Scorchie
  • Allo
  • Xzei
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.