NRL General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ol' Led Zeppelin and Radiohead.

Sterlo can't stand Kent, so much so they made a bit out of it on the Matty Johns show. Something about how NRL 360 were supposed to have a guest (Danny Wicks?) but Sterlo ended up getting the interview instead.
Thats a shame,dont mind sterlos thoughts and opinions on the game.

Out of 85 replies thus far, literally 1 was kind of positive. What the heck were they thinking?? I mean, as the replies mention, you have an absolute star in the making in Lara Pitt and you pass her over for Braith Anasta. At least having Ikin on there helped balance out Kent's moronicness, now its going to be wall to wall echo chambering of stupidity.

Out of 85 replies thus far, literally 1 was kind of positive. What the heck were they thinking?? I mean, as the replies mention, you have an absolute star in the making in Lara Pitt and you pass her over for Braith Anasta. At least having Ikin on there helped balance out Kent's moronicness, now its going to be wall to wall echo chambering of stupidity.
The idea is to have an ex-player and a journo. Pitt would absolutely make for a better host than Kent, but NRL 360 is all about stirring controversy and creating clickbait.

Have to remember Ikin had a terrible reputation coming in but really grew into his own as a host. His open minded approach bounced off well against Kent. The most seamless transition would have been Matty Johns. Otherwise Ennis would be the smart pick, but the tone of the show would be different since Mick is very opinionated.

The idea is to have an ex-player and a journo. Pitt would absolutely make for a better host than Kent, but NRL 360 is all about stirring controversy and creating clickbait.

Have to remember Ikin had a terrible reputation coming in but really grew into his own as a host. His open minded approach bounced off well against Kent. The most seamless transition would have been Matty Johns. Otherwise Ennis would be the smart pick, but the tone of the show would be different since Mick is very opinionated.

I get the idea but there are better ways to go about it and definitely better ex-players. As a left field choice if it had to be a male ex-player, I would have gone with James Graham.

I get the idea but there are better ways to go about it and definitely better ex-players. As a left field choice if it had to be a male ex-player, I would have gone with James Graham.
I think Mick Ennis would’ve been the best of the ex players.

Not that I agree with everything he says but he seems the most media polished of the bunch, and is smart enough to be directed into a decent show.

What's the deal with Andrew Voss - is he happy to just do the Fan and one or two games a week?

Sterlo and Lara would be a great combo.
I think they would be too softly softly together... As BP said, 360 is all about creating headlines.

The day after a 360 episode Fox Sports effectively turn the whole show into a set of articles using their own journos as quotable material.

The show is effectively a soapbox for Kent to talk about whatever he wants as an article generator for the website... the co-host just needs to be a non-threatening puppet that won't get in Kent's way.

Anasta bumbles his way through his fox stints as it is, so I can only see him being there to read the teleprompter as a feedline for whatever Kent wants to talk about next.

Lara and Sterlo would probably just want to talk about the footy... that's not interesting enough for articles on Fox

I think they would be too softly softly together... As BP said, 360 is all about creating headlines.

The day after a 360 episode Fox Sports effectively turn the whole show into a set of articles using their own journos as quotable material.

The show is effectively a soapbox for Kent to talk about whatever he wants as an article generator for the website... the co-host just needs to be a non-threatening puppet that won't get in Kent's way.

Anasta bumbles his way through his fox stints as it is, so I can only see him being there to read the teleprompter as a feedline for whatever Kent wants to talk about next.

Lara and Sterlo would probably just want to talk about the footy... that's not interesting enough for articles on Fox

He will read ANYTHING on the teleprompter.

What's the deal with Andrew Voss - is he happy to just do the Fan and one or two games a week?
He's one of the most overrated people in the game. Believes his own hype and tries to act like an NRL hipster. Also very obviously hates the Broncos.

Yeah agreed. I should have indicated they would be a good combo if Fox were interested in a good show.

He's one of the most overrated people in the game. Believes his own hype and tries to act like an NRL hipster. Also very obviously hates the Broncos.

I used to like him when he did the Roast back in the day but he's become insufferable now. Just wondering if he has burnt some bridges along the way perhaps. He did do the Broncos dvd narration a while ago.

Voss has his own radio show which is actually pretty enjoyable and he does a pretty good job of covering the news of the day and his opinions are usually well thought out. It's a suitable platform for him and he usually gets good guests on there as well.

Voss is still one of the best play-by-play guys in the game. I have a couple of gripes about his tendency to overly-dramatisise the play or go off on tangents. Yes, it was a controversial call but the play has moved on.

I don't think he has a bias against any team, I do remember his call during the Roosters/Broncos call being on the nose but I'm not sure if that was due to the head high crackdown which had only just come in and had a huge bearing on the game.

Didnt voss get sent to purgatory for suggesting ray warrens statue looked like dawn frazier?

Didnt voss get sent to purgatory for suggesting ray warrens statue looked like dawn frazier?
Yes sir, that's how he lost his job at 9.

They gave the Roast to Gilbert and Vossy was calling QCup with Ikin before Ben walked out after ACA ran a story on his dad.

Yeah that's what I remember too. Didn't Hadley go nuclear on him and it all went from there? And then we had to deal with Hadley for ages.

I like Vossy, he's the best commentator in the game and has been since Warren shit the bed.

Yeah that's what I remember too. Didn't Hadley go nuclear on him and it all went from there? And then we had to deal with Hadley for ages.

I like Vossy, he's the best commentator in the game and has been since Warren shit the bed.

Yeah Hadley got him sacked over it.

Vossy was good but I haven’t been a fan of him in recent times. From his Warrior bias because Sky in NZ were the only ones to give him a commentary job after the statue fiasco, to him reading his own press and becoming a caricature of himself trying to cement himself as the next Rabs, I can take or leave him.

Smith is better imo

Yeah Hadley got him sacked over it.

Vossy was good but I haven’t been a fan of him in recent times. From his Warrior bias because Sky in NZ were the only ones to give him a commentary job after the statue fiasco, to him reading his own press and becoming a caricature of himself trying to cement himself as the next Rabs, I can take or leave him.

Smith is better imo
Abc radio use to have a great pbp commentator david morrow but he and ryan got the arse after a few comments they made on air.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• mieko
  • TimWhatley
  • Lurker
  • Fozz
  • Harry Sack
  • Old Mate
  • Porthoz
  • broncos4life
  • BroncsNBundy
  • Swordfish
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.