NRL General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Abc radio use to have a great pbp commentator david morrow but he and ryan got the arse after a few comments they made on air.
Last I checked, Thirsty was a part of the 4BC call.

Were they released at the same time? I thought Wok got in trouble for making a snide comment about a female journalist. Something along the lines of 'imagine a woman talking down to me about Rugby League' and that was not long after some racist 'golly wog' type comment.

Thirsty had/has a great voice but he wore his heart on his sleeve. You knew which team he didn't like and instead of excusing himself from the call completely he'd still call Roosters games but refuse to call anything Jake Friend did after Jake allegedly assaulted his niece.

Still remember the time the Broncos played the Roosters back when games would be on delay. Hunt hit Anasta with a shoulder charge and Thirsty called it the worst shot he'd seen since Les Boyd on Brohman and he couldn't believe the hide of the Broncos players and they wouldn't be too '****-a-hoot' when Hunt is forced to sit out the rest of the season. I watched the replay, Anasta slipped at a time where that actually meant something and Hunt wasn't suspended for one game (albeit he did miss the Broncos big win over the Cowboys the following week...).

EDIT: Got it the wrong way round, Wok quit in 2014 after the Gone With The Wind reference where he referred to a character as 'Old Darky'. That came not long after the comment he made to former netball player Shannon Byrne where he retorted 'It's interesting, a netballer telling me about frontline defence. Fascinating.' So nowhere near as overt and you'd have to stretch it to read it as misogynistic.

IceWorks

IceWorks

NRL Player
May 10, 2019
As long as I don't have to listen to Johns or Fittler I will turn the sound up, Gus is good once you can get past his cyclops view on certain teams and subjects.

Xzei

Xzei

State of Origin Rep
Mar 13, 2017
What did they say?

This was about the sum of it remember hearing both them at the time and having a chuckle think it was at the start of the abc doing an inclusiveness restructure which i think led to tony delroy walking away in 2016 but thats my own speculation.

Xzei

Xzei

State of Origin Rep
Mar 13, 2017
Last I checked, Thirsty was a part of the 4BC call.

Were they released at the same time? I thought Wok got in trouble for making a snide comment about a female journalist. Something along the lines of 'imagine a woman talking down to me about Rugby League' and that was not long after some racist 'golly wog' type comment.

Thirsty had/has a great voice but he wore his heart on his sleeve. You knew which team he didn't like and instead of excusing himself from the call completely he'd still call Roosters games but refuse to call anything Jake Friend did after Jake allegedly assaulted his niece.

Still remember the time the Broncos played the Roosters back when games would be on delay. Hunt hit Anasta with a shoulder charge and Thirsty called it the worst shot he'd seen since Les Boyd on Brohman and he couldn't believe the hide of the Broncos players and they wouldn't be too '****-a-hoot' when Hunt is forced to sit out the rest of the season. I watched the replay, Anasta slipped at a time where that actually meant something and Hunt wasn't suspended for one game (albeit he did miss the Broncos big win over the Cowboys the following week...).

EDIT: Got it the wrong way round, Wok quit in 2014 after the Gone With The Wind reference where he referred to a character as 'Old Darky'. That came not long after the comment he made to former netball player Shannon Byrne where he retorted 'It's interesting, a netballer telling me about frontline defence. Fascinating.' So nowhere near as overt and you'd have to stretch it to read it as misogynistic.
Good to know he is still on air,use to at work mute the tv and watch with abc commentary as bias as he could be was still great at painting a vision of what was happening.

Blindside Bronco

Blindside Bronco

Broncos Fanboy
Oct 17, 2019
Anasta is annoying but **** having Ennis on there instead or Voss they are both dead shits!! But Ennis is one of the most insufferable twats in NRL tv land!

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Rapana has been suspended for 2 matches for a shoulder charge in the All Stars match.

He also has a 1 match suspension to serve for a drink driving offence.

However, according to the courier mail, he can serve his off field suspension concurrently with his on field suspension... so he'll only miss 2 matches, instead of 3. Eligible for selection in round 3

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Lol at a Dean Ritchie article ... saying the Panthers are under seige because of all the players they have lost over the last 18 months ... then adds TPJ to the list

N

nopatience101

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Rapana has been suspended for 2 matches for a shoulder charge in the All Stars match.

He also has a 1 match suspension to serve for a drink driving offence.

However, according to the courier mail, he can serve his off field suspension concurrently with his on field suspension... so he'll only miss 2 matches, instead of 3. Eligible for selection in round 3
The NRL have lost the plot, you can’t be suspended for a game you weren’t eligible to play! Remember abdo last season making a point out of staggs not being able to serve his suspension until he was fit to play.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008

Marty Deutschmann

Marty Deutschmann

NRL Captain
Oct 23, 2013
I think the top 8 is in for a massive shakeup this year.

Panthers will have a huge hangover from the last two seasons, and the Rabbitohs are no chance to make the 8

Renegade

Renegade

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 14, 2008
I think the top 8 is in for a massive shakeup this year.

Panthers will have a huge hangover from the last two seasons, and the Rabbitohs are no chance to make the 8
and another year of Melb making the last 4 regardless of who plays.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
The Dragons have extended Griffin until the end of 2023.

They activated the option in their favour

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
The Dragons have extended Griffin until the end of 2023.

They activated the option in their favour
Had to get him before any club rushed to sign him. Wonder how many more old players or ex-Broncos he'll sign this year.

Actually blows my mind how bad some NRL administrators are. Griffin should be on a knife edge, not locked in for next year without seeing how he goes the first few weeks of this year.

Renegade

Renegade

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 14, 2008
Dragons have been a dumpster fire since Bennett. Price, McGregor and now Griffin. Christ it's enough to bring tears to your eyes.

BroncosFever

BroncosFever

State of Origin Rep
Jun 6, 2014
Dragons have been a dumpster fire since Bennett. Price, McGregor and now Griffin. Christ it's enough to bring tears to your eyes.

The timing that they re-sign their coach is hilarious, they re-signed Mary a couple of years ago after he coached them to win the first handful of games in the regular season, then they fell off a cliff.

Fernando

Fernando

NRL Captain
Jun 6, 2015
Manly look really strong, very settled team with a massive forward pack. Croker and Harper are the only real question marks. Something like this will be hard to beat:

1. Trbojevic 2. Saab 3. Parker 4. Harper 5. Garrick 6. Foran 7. Cherry-Evans 8. Paseka 9. Croker 10. Taupau 11. Olakauatu 12. Schuster 13. Trbojevic

14. Walker 15. Bullemor 16. Keppie 17. Sipley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Big Del
  • Xzei
  • Spoon
  • broncsgoat
  • Justwin
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.