NRL General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017
I haven't seen that reported anywhere.

what they have been reporting is that if Manly made the top 6 this season, it would trigger a contract extension for the 2024 season

Mere details . LOL .

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
I just can't fathom it IF (and I stress if) that is the reason they want to sack him. He 100% should sue them if that is the case about the jersey presser.

BooKhaki

BooKhaki

NRL Player
Sep 16, 2020
May I ask for what reasons you are a fan of that guy? I make no secret that I think he is a cancer on the sport and could potentially be the death of it. So just so we are clear, I am biased against him because I can't stand him but at the same time, I'm also not looking to get into an argument, just genuinely asking because there are some fans of him and I just don't get it.
Because he was one of the few administrators in world sport who fought to keep the game alive and playing through the peak hysteria of early COVID. He has made some fucking horror changes and stupid decisions, but we can't downplay how big a part he played in keeping the 2020 season alive.

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
Renouf has some really poor takes so it's hard to read anything he says.
Agreed.....Renouf hasn't really said a good word about anyone since he retired. I wouldn't carry too much weight in his opinion about anything TBH.

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
Who has things to do at 3pm on a Sunday that can't be changed? Unless you work or are scared of your missus, you'll be available.
....particularly when you know its GF weekend! Whether its arvo or night footy, if you're invested in a team playing in the GF......you're not going anywhere that weekend.

Vlandy....what a knob.

Mustafur

Mustafur

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Jun 13, 2019
Unless I'm going to the game, I'll take a night game over a day one every single time.

tommy

tommy

International Rep
Jun 5, 2015
The only reason ratings are so much higher is because in the 90s and early 2000’s everyone used to go to a bbq at someone’s house. They don’t even schedule it before a public holiday so everyone has to stay home and watch it.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Because he was one of the few administrators in world sport who fought to keep the game alive and playing through the peak hysteria of early COVID. He has made some fucking horror changes and stupid decisions, but we can't downplay how big a part he played in keeping the 2020 season alive.
I've been down this track with @Sproj before. I'm in no way a PVL "fan" - or a compulsive hater for that matter - but everyone involved with keeping the NRL alive during the pandemic deserves a pat on the back for it, regardless of whether - in hindsight - you can think of ways it might've been done better. Same with our state government.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
I've been down this track with @Sproj before. I'm in no way a PVL "fan" - or a compulsive hater for that matter - but everyone involved with keeping the NRL alive during the pandemic deserves a pat on the back for it, regardless of whether - in hindsight - you can think of ways it might've been done better. Same with our state government.

name a single professional sport that went went under due to the pandemic.

actually, let's aim smaller ... name a single professional club that went under thanks to the pandemic.

even in countries like the UK/US that were hit far harder by the pandemic, had zero casualties from their professional sporting organisations

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013

Thanks for providing reasons. I obviously don't agree with this view he was the only one who could have done it (I know this isn't what you are saying here) or that he even did it well but I do understand why people have that view. My issue is what he seemingly sold in order to get that 2 or 3 week jump on other codes, so in my very biased view, getting it restarted early came at too high a cost and this is lost in the praise he receives for getting it restarted. Given, in his own words, the NRL was two months from effective becoming bankrupt, he could have actually waited a little bit longer before he blinked and likely sold the next tv deal for less as part of it.

But as I say, I am biased because seemingly every other decision he has made has basically been the wrong one, I just find it hard to believe he got this one right.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
name a single professional sport that went went under due to the pandemic.

actually, let's aim smaller ... name a single professional club that went under thanks to the pandemic.

even in countries like the UK/US that were hit far harder by the pandemic, had zero casualties from their professional sporting organisations
If you can't remember the events of 2020 and how the NRL pioneered a way through the pandemic while every other sport around the world sat around with their dicks in their hands, you must be fucking senile. No one said anything about going broke you drooling baboon.

I will be eternally grateful to the NRL for giving me something to look forward to each week during that period. I don't fucking care how much you want to gripe and moan for the sake of it. It was fucking great. Five stars and credit were it was due.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
If you can't remember the events of 2020 and how the NRL pioneered a way through the pandemic while every other sport around the world sat around with their dicks in their hands, you must be fucking senile. No one said anything about going broke you drooling baboon.

I will be eternally grateful to the NRL for giving me something to look forward to each week during that period. I don't fucking care how much you want to gripe and moan for the sake of it. It was fucking great. Five stars and credit were it was due.

PVL said the NRL was going broke and that is how he justified selling the code short to get it restarted, this is how this whole conversation started. Could you please attempt a civil discussion without name calling? It is really tiresome.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
PVL said the NRL was going broke and that is how he justified selling the code short to get it restarted, this is how this whole conversation started. Could you please attempt a civil discussion without name calling? It is really tiresome.
He (they) did a fantastic job of keeping the game going during an extremely difficult time. **** man, why do you have to piss on integrity of the entire competition constantly? It is really tiresome.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
He (they) did a fantastic job of keeping the game going during an extremely difficult time. **** man, why do you have to piss on integrity of the entire competition constantly? It is really tiresome.

I'm interested in your actual answer to @Foordy's question, though I don't expect you to give one in a civil way. So if you aren't, don't reply to me any further thanks.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008

The NRL didn't restart much quicker than any other sport in the world ... hell, if we were living in a country that was hit much harder than us, he wouldn't have come back when he did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• I bleed Maroon
  • Dash
  • Justwin
  • pennywisealfie
  • broncoscope
  • BruiserMk1
  • bb_gun
  • Sproj
  • Cavalo
  • Hoof Hearted
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Alec
  • Bish
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.