NRL General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
Can't be bothered finding the right thread but NRL posted this recently.

It feels like an eternity ago now, but the fact that the last team we beat in a Grand Final were the cheating storm gives me plenty of solace.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Can't be bothered finding the right thread but NRL posted this recently.

It's interesting watching this game and thinking, would we still win this under the current rules? I don't think we do.

But we did, and we'll have always have that over Melbourne, so suck shit Melbourne.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
For anyone interested, Kayo now has full replays of every GF going back to 1966 in their classic games section.

Including the Super League GF.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
The SMH is reporting that the reason Manly sacked Hasler was that they are alleging he had breached the terms of the agreement by bringing the club into disrepute.

Regarding what?

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
That can't be it surely, they threw him under the bus by sending him out themselves.

That's apparently the reason. No one said they were logical, they were clutching at straws when Des didn't resign after they put all sorts of restrictions on him for next year.

And despite their claim that Des brought the club onto disrepute and they could legally sack him without a payout, they've offered him a settlement of more than his contract provided for ... pretty sure they didn't do that because they were nice guys

BroncosFever

BroncosFever

State of Origin Rep
Jun 6, 2014
We need to keep that money for the Haas upgrade. lots of post contact meters to enjoy.

Make Billy a Bronco for the rest of his career, a lucrative deal is in order. Shift the decimal one to the right, thoughts?

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Vlandy's will get a sore arm patting himself and the NRL on the back.

he claims that during the pandemic the NRL was 2 months away from being insolvent and now they are making record profits.

there is also the claim that every single NRL club is "in the black"

On a daytime GF, he contradicts himself, proves the NRL only care about NSW and pulls figures out of his ass: he says

“It’s a thing of the past, the 3pm grand-final kick-off,” he said.

“It will not go back to that timeslot.

“I find it ironic that people want us to change the kick-off time. If I consider the fans, we will keep the grand final exactly where it is because our figures show the current timeslot is when the majority of fans watch it.

“The 7.30pm timeslot works because it’s a public holiday the next day in NSW, so kids can stay up later to watch a night grand final.

“There’s no doubt we could consider tweaking the time slightly but, if we put the grand final on in the afternoon, for argument’s sake, the majority of fans can’t watch it.

“They have other things to do during their day on a Sunday.

“Why would you want to lose 50 per cent of your audience going to an afternoon kick-off?”

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Manly using the Hasler press conference excuse just reeks of them trying to keep the players onside by saying Hasler breached the contract so their hands were tied.

Instead of revealing the actual reason, which is they sacked him because they don't see him as the coach he once was.

BooKhaki

BooKhaki

NRL Player
Sep 16, 2020
Who has things to do at 3pm on a Sunday that can't be changed? Unless you work or are scared of your missus, you'll be available.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Who has things to do at 3pm on a Sunday that can't be changed? Unless you work or are scared of your missus, you'll be available.

he also claims that they'll lose half their audience by moving the timeslot ... if that amount of people are going to only watch the game if it's played at a certain time, then you haven't got much of a product.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
You guys have nailed it. I mean, the AFL have no issue whatsoever getting people to watch their GF. If people really want to watch it, they will watch it whenever it is on. This bloke loves to make up figures though and talk himself up.

BooKhaki

BooKhaki

NRL Player
Sep 16, 2020
he also claims that they'll lose half their audience by moving the timeslot ... if that amount of people are going to only watch the game if it's played at a certain time, then you haven't got much of a product.
Pretty piss poor excuse making, and I"m a bigger fan of PVL than most.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Pretty piss poor excuse making, and I"m a bigger fan of PVL than most.

May I ask for what reasons you are a fan of that guy? I make no secret that I think he is a cancer on the sport and could potentially be the death of it. So just so we are clear, I am biased against him because I can't stand him but at the same time, I'm also not looking to get into an argument, just genuinely asking because there are some fans of him and I just don't get it.

IceWorks

IceWorks

NRL Player
May 10, 2019
Make Billy a Bronco for the rest of his career, a lucrative deal is in order. Shift the decimal one to the right, thoughts?
Whenever I watched games on TV I thought Billy played well.. watching for fun and not analysis but he certainly seemed to have a dig and compete well... on a bargain basement price for a spine player, seems like the lack of quality is the issue with the Broncos spine and not BW or his recruitment.

I can see the potential in Haas, just think that he is overrated and over paid (not difficult to do considering all the awards he is given and salary he is paid for a forward). I also think the focus on the wrong metrics could be an issue, for example if Haas was to get some Melbourne Storm coaching and learned how to become a submarine forward (bash it up and get to the ground and PTB quick, touch football style) then that may lead to something interesting the next play!?

I remember watching the last Broncos-Roosters game from this season, the part of the season where Brisbane were in their losing streak. I think I turned the TV off after the first couple of sets. The very first Roosters set they rolled down the field pretty much 100m it seemed.. awesome charges and very quick play the balls and momentum, no 6 agains givens by the Broncs... and then the Broncs were swimming upstream trying to make metres on the next set.. it was a stark difference. Alfie ran on the field as the trainer and was saying 'slow the play the ball down of the Roosters', or something similar. I think this is a coaching and preparation issue, also it's probably an issue that we just aren't at the same quality for squads as teams in the top 4.

It's been a good season for lack of drama though, a sign that there is some competence in the management wherever that is coming from. Trending positive, wouldn't be surprised if the Broncs finish top 4 next season but most likely they will be stuck mid table somewhere.

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017
That can't be it surely, they threw him under the bus by sending him out themselves.

Dunno about the bringing the club into disrepute .
He was apologising for the front offices miscommunication of the rainbow / women in League jersey in a way that put their communication skills in a bad light .
But apparently he had a make the finals or bust clause in his contract . And ...

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
But apparently he had a make the finals or bust clause in his contract . And ...

I haven't seen that reported anywhere.

what they have been reporting is that if Manly made the top 6 this season, it would trigger a contract extension for the 2024 season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• GCBRONCO
  • Strop
  • Stix
  • Howie
  • Wolfie
  • Financeguy
  • Broncorob
  • LittleDavey
  • Spooky1013
  • Bucking Beads
  • Santa
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.