NRL General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Full match.

20 year ban is rubbish.

Nean tried to use footage from this game for his defence, they wouldn't allow it. They only allowed the refs testimony and that's that they used to give him a 20 year ban.

I don't really see any justification to go from 18 weeks to 20 years.

Nean tried to use footage from this game for his defence, they wouldn't allow it. They only allowed the refs testimony and that's that they used to give him a 20 year ban.
Is there a transcript of the ref’s testimony? Should make A-grade comedy reading…

Not mentioned in the article is that his team forfeited the game because they had 7 players sent off. His brother was convicted of assault from an incident in the same game.

That particular incident is horseshit, but the bloke is scum and shouldn't be anywhere near a footy field.
Based on what though? 6 others getting sent off and his brother being done for assault isn't really on him.

I'm sure there's something but I'd like to know what because based on what I've seen, the decision for a long term ban is pure insanity.

Based on what though? 6 others getting sent off and his brother being done for assault isn't really on him.

I'm sure there's something but I'd like to know what because based on what I've seen, the decision for a long term ban is pure insanity.
Sometimes I think referees become referees because nobody else wants to play in the same team as them.

He got a 10 week ban for threatening the touch judge after being sent off in the previous year's grand final. Among apparently numerous other suspensions.

They clearly just wanted to get rid of him for good, and this was their chance.

He got a 10 week ban for threatening the touch judge after being sent off in the previous year's grand final. Among apparently numerous other suspensions.

But it wasn’t a chance. He didn’t do anything…..?

That doesn't justify their actions in this case.

There were other angles that confirmed he didn't even make contact with the ref, but they refused to allow him to use that as evidence and instead only allowed the testimony of the ref who obviously had a very different version of what happened.

He got 20 years for nothing, they presented no evidence whatsoever. Regardless of history, it was a fucking stitch-up.

there is no way the NSWRL should allow this anywhere near a court. they should overturn it now (he's already served 6 years anyway).

all that forcing him to take it to the courts will do is embarrass the NSWRL further

I’m not going to make a comment on the guys character, nor am I going to shit on him on the internet by bringing up other incidents. But there is more than one side to this story.

Not to mention that particular comp has had massive issues with violence and violence against refs and members of the crowd.

it’s an ongoing issue with that team, that player, and the comp. 20 years is ridiculous but some should be careful about how outraged they are getting from such limited and bias info. That’s all I’ll say

I will add though that he is an incredibly talented footballer and it’s a fairly commonly shared belief that if he had the drive and attitude for it, he would absolutely have had an NRL career.

Any chance of a summary? At what point did the other 6 send offs occur? Under what circumstance?
Just watch the last few minutes, the ref just sends off 6 people in a couple minutes for minor offences such as a slight high tackle, talking back etc

I’m not going to make a comment on the guys character, nor am I going to shit on him on the internet by bringing up other incidents. But there is more than one side to this story.

Not to mention that particular comp has had massive issues with violence and violence against refs and members of the crowd.

it’s an ongoing issue with that team, that player, and the comp. 20 years is ridiculous but some should be careful about how outraged they are getting from such limited and bias info. That’s all I’ll say

He has a history, but they didn't decide to do anything about it then, that doesn't give them the right to take this opportunity to stamp him out when he did nothing wrong in this game.

It was a kangaroo court. Everyone has the right to mount a proper defense, to be given a fair trial, and he was denied that right because of his history and because they wanted him gone. It's bullshit and everyone involved should be sacked.

There's a process, a way to do things, and this is not one of them.

He has a history, but they didn't decide to do anything about it then, that doesn't give them the right to take this opportunity to stamp him out when he did nothing wrong in this game.

It was a kangaroo court. Everyone has the right to mount a proper defense, to be given a fair trial, and he was denied that right because of his history and because they wanted him gone. It's bullshit and everyone involved should be sacked.

There's a process, a way to do things, and this is not one of them.
Are you personally familiar with this situation? If you are then I’ll take your word regarding it but if you are only basing it off this news story then I’ll reserve my judgement on the matter

Having watched that part of the game, regardless of priors that was a complete overeaction from the referee, and the ref overstepped the mark in that game. Priors don't mean anything if you haven't actually offended in that situation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• bb_gun
  • Battler
  • Allo
  • Browny
  • mrtij
  • Cavalo
  • Scdeac
  • Foordy
  • Waynesaurus
  • Kev_Guz
  • Santa
  • IceWorks
  • Skyblues87
  • broncos4life
  • Lurker
  • Fozz
  • davidp
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Financeguy
... and 9 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.