NRL General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, I wonder if Foran has anything to do with it, him and Des have always seemed a package deal.

I feel for Holbrook to be honest, I feel like he is a good coach but with the Titans, for the wrong system.

Well I guess the Titans' salary cap will become an issue soon, we should watch their key youngsters with great interest, they will become available at some point.

They young players will all be signed for $250k.

For the first year. Then $600k year two. Then they all get Greg Eastwood $950k salaries for their 3rd year and then it's OFF to Super League!!!

Just pulled this of the Fox NRL site on where Benny the Ball will land ... "The Bulldogs are keen on Hunt’s services but his desire to return to Queensland makes the Titans — who are reportedly willing to offer him a $9000,000-a-year deal — the frontrunners for his signature." ... Des must be bringin' a shitload of cash with him !!! ... oh sorry, yeah, it's Fox, my bad.

It sounds like they've thrown the cat amongst the pigeons with the Hasler signing. On one hand, he's a premiership coach who's taken his teams to GFs which is something the Titans have never had before. On the other, his teams have been very erratic since 2017 and roster management ever since his Bulldogs days have been very ordinary.

I thought they had to be really careful with the way they handled the Holbrook situation. The Gold Coast for mine are still trying to establish their identity and they have a crop of young talent who could get them there but they're in a sorting period.

Is Des in that position? Or is he going to bring in players that suit his vision of football like Morgan Harper? Will he make a big play for Ben Hunt and what will that cost him and the club?

Hopefully for them, he'll really lean on his Origin players and help transform players like Tino, Mo, Fifita, Fermor (well 19th man but you know) into the best pack in the competition. Then they get their pipeline sorted and now you've got three Queensland clubs in the south east developing gun talent. That's my hope for them and it's going to be an interesting story to follow.

Holbrook:

“I just can't believe it, I feel awful. Totally gutted.

I did not see this coming at all, that's what I am pissed off about.

I could understand if they said, ‘Look you have three games or whatever time period to do something', but to be moved on like this, I'm still coming to terms with it.

If they were a bit more open about the way things were heading, I would have been able to digest this, but it's hit me out of the blue.

I had no inkling at all

Steve just called me in this morning and said, ‘Have you got a minute'.

I went in for a meeting and he said, ‘We are going to terminate you as of right now'.

I said, ‘Shivers, on what ... performance?' I said, ‘Mate, I thought you would have given me a chance of getting the guys to the finals with our best players back'.

Anyway, it was a waste of time talking. It wasn't a negotiation. They had made up their mind.”

Holbrook:

I could understand if they said, ‘Look you have three games or whatever time period to do something', but to be moved on like this, I'm still coming to terms with it.

If they were a bit more open about the way things were heading, I would have been able to digest this, but it's hit me out of the blue.

I had no inkling at all

I went in for a meeting and he said, ‘We are going to terminate you as of right now'.

I said, ‘Shivers, on what ... performance?' I said, ‘Mate, I thought you would have given me a chance of getting the guys to the finals with our best players back'.

Anyway, it was a waste of time talking. It wasn't a negotiation. They had made up their mind.”
Pretty slack. I mean, he probably knew he was on thin ice, and the club probably didn't want it to leak, but there are typically standards of professionalism that one expects around these things.
Now we get to watch the media circus, especially on Fox. Not like we couldn't imagine all the talking points ourselves, but it's reaffirming seeing it played out on TV.

Wondering if they decided to jump the gun primarily to get Des before anyone else could get him... also noting that Des was starting to be flagged as a possible NSW origin coach.

Holbrook:

I had no inkling at all

I'm pretty sure he didn't say "Shivers" ... he had to have cleaned that up for the media, lol

That's real shitty on the Titans part to not even give the bloke a heads up. This is worse than public announcements that the coach has the full support of the board, at least everyone knows what that means. The punches that hurt the most are the ones you don't see coming.

Big Mal doesn't agree, or even knew about it. He's pulling the pin from his comments today too. WTF Titans.

Honestly that is fucked. I am no Holbrook fan and think he should have been sacked end of last season but you can still do it in a respectful manner. Where do The Titans get these amateur administrators from? Steve Mitchell seems like an absolute flog.

You can tell all the fans that The Titans have in the media that none of them are cracking the shits about the way it was done, any other club would be copping it.

In any case **** you Titans for taking the spotlight and media cycle off the NSW failure. Bunch of blue wankers, too close to the border and should change their name to the Northern NSW Fucksticks.

You can tell all the fans that The Titans have in the media that none of them are cracking the shits about the way it was done, any other club would be copping it.

In any case **** you Titans for taking the spotlight and media cycle off the NSW failure. Bunch of blue wankers, too close to the border and should change their name to the Northern NSW Fucksticks.
I was thinking exactly this. Very NSW thing to do, taking the heat off the Blues. Not helping themselves. I’ve been calling them the Northern NSW Titans for years. They could have at least waited until 3 to announce it, so all their fans would be home from school.

Can you imagine if Broncos did that to Kevvie?

The media would fucking explode.

Big Mal doesn't agree, or even knew about it. He's pulling the pin from his comments today too. WTF Titans.
Probably would’ve happened anyway once Des arrived..
0D000ED6 4812 43B7 90B3 C7A3C9FE536C

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• MrMoore
  • Waynesaurus
  • azza.79
  • rj9
  • broncos4life
  • upthebroncs
  • broncsgoat
  • kman
  • Broncosgirl
  • Behind enemy lines
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Jedhead
  • bb_gun
  • Tristan1990
  • Battler
  • Fozz
  • maddo
  • Santa
  • Big Del
... and 9 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.