NRL General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
James Ackerman.
So we have a single death, across all levels of the code, and it should be banned?
Do you ban bouncers in cricket? Because there was a single death from that delivery?

So can a shoulder charge ... just ask James Ackerman's family.
Mate, its one tackle, among millions of tackles across all codes over decades.
That was bad luck and a shitty outcome.

There have been deaths in RL from completely legal tackles as well, but you dont ban them because of an outlier.

A quick google search will show you that the vast majority of deaths in RL at all levels of the code are from cardiac arrest, most commonly from blunt impace (running into another player) not from specific types of tackles.

A quick google search will show you that the vast majority of deaths in RL at all levels of the code are from cardiac arrest, most commonly from blunt impace (running into another player) not from specific types of tackles.
shoulder charges aren’t tackles though.

shoulder charges aren’t tackles though.
Yes they are.
And if they are not, they fall under the same category as things like ankle taps.

Way to miss the point though.

The argument was that Shoulder charges are banned because they are potentially lethal and dangerous, when there has been a single death from them, and there has been far more deaths from standard tackles than shoulder charges.

Further the point, is that hip drops are illegal because they have a higher chance of injury, but in contact sports, you will never mitigate the chance of injury until you remove the contact element altogether.

Even a perfectly legal, straight forward tackle can lead to serious, career ending injury and even death, and if you ban that, you have tap footy.

Mate, its one tackle, among millions of tackles across all codes over decades.
That was bad luck and a shitty outcome.

There have been deaths in RL from completely legal tackles as well, but you dont ban them because of an outlier.

In that case let's bring back the Spear tackle. There have been less deaths from that than there have been from shoulder charges.

While we're at it let's legalise all of the Storms jujitsu moves (no deaths from them)

In that case let's bring back the Spear tackle. There have been less deaths from that than there have been from shoulder charges.

While we're at it let's legalise all of the Storms jujitsu moves (no deaths from them)
Sigh.

Lets just all play fucken touch footy then eh Foordy, because every tackle has the potential for injury, so lets all just cuddle for a bit and not let anyone hit each other.

This is crazy and no wonder the game is going to shit.

The difference between a shoulder charge and a spear tackle is night and day, and the fact i have to point that out is fucking dumb.

In one tackle, you are driving a player headfirst into the ground.
In the other tackle, you are using your shoulder to body check the other player.
Its only bad when it go's wrong.

Sonny Bill was a beast at shoulder charges, that were perfectly legal body on body contact.

There is no case where you spear a player into the ground headfirst that is deemed legal or safe.

COMMON SENSE MATE!
The thing RL top dogs are lacking and have us in the situation we are in today.

The difference between a shoulder charge and a spear tackle is night and day, and the fact i have to point that out is fucking dumb.

In the other tackle, you are using your shoulder to body check the other player.

Sonny Bill was a beast at shoulder charges, that were perfectly legal body on body contact.

There is no case where you spear a player into the ground headfirst that is deemed legal or safe.

COMMON SENSE MATE!

How much fucking damage do you think a shoulder to the fucking head can do ... the fact I have to point that out is just dumb.

The reason the shoulder charge was banned was that they tended to go wrong far too frequently.

They can be entertaining ... but then again so can the 6 again, if you're on the right side if it, and I can't think of anyone who wants them to stay in the game

How much fucking damage do you think a shoulder to the fucking head can do ... the fact I have to point that out is just dumb.

The reason the shoulder charge was banned was that they tended to go wrong far too frequently.

They can be entertaining ... but then again so can the 6 again, if you're on the right side if it, and I can't think of anyone who wants them to stay in the game
About the same amount of damage someone like Haas can do to a bloke like Sam Walker in a perfectly legal tackle?

When ANY tackle go's wrong it can be bad, and as I pointed out more normal tackles gone wrong cause more deaths than shoulder charges gone wrong.

COMMON SENSE MATE!
I think you're forgetting all the shoulder charges that hit the head instead of the body. You could argue that it's a high tackle, but there is a huge difference in force between an arm raised high hitting a head and a shoulder with the whole body weight behind...
And yes, I loved the beautifully timed and aimed shoulder charges a la SBW, but it's a small price to pay if it prevents deaths.

As to the tackles deaths, that isn't related to the technique applied, it's either a physical cardiac flaw or an incredibly bad timing at the time of impact which stops the heart as far as I know.

Regardless, I do see your point. That being said, in every single sport there are mitigation efforts to reduce the chances of long term injury, like the vehicle protections in motor sports as well as the passive measures with "soft" barriers and gravel escapes to name a few.

P.S. I don't know whether there is a concussion protocol in MMA, but if there isn't, it's just stupid. If a fighter has been concussed during a fight, he should observe a period off the hexagon to prevent the permanent damage that concussion on top of concussion creates.

The point is, the game is being over-officiated to the extent it's losing what brought a lot of fans to the game in the first place.

I think you're forgetting all the shoulder charges that hit the head instead of the body. You could argue that it's a high tackle, but there is a huge difference in force between an arm raised high hitting a head and a shoulder with the whole body weight behind...
And yes, I loved the beautifully timed and aimed shoulder charges a la SBW, but it's a small price to pay if it prevents deaths.

As to the tackles deaths, that isn't related to the technique applied, it's either a physical cardiac flaw or an incredibly bad timing at the time of impact which stops the heart as far as I know.

Regardless, I do see your point. That being said, in every single sport there are mitigation efforts to reduce the chances of long term injury, like the vehicle protections in motor sports as well as the passive measures with "soft" barriers and gravel escapes to name a few.

P.S. I don't know whether there is a concussion protocol in MMA, but if there isn't, it's just stupid. If a fighter has been concussed during a fight, he should observe a period off the hexagon to prevent the permanent damage that concussion on top of concussion creates.
Look I agree. There needs to be boundaries to protect people.
I just think the NRL have gone way way too far with it.

Tackles that pose no threat of serious long term brain damage or death are being charged with the same severity as tackles that are legitimately dangerous.
Players are staring down the barrel of month long suspensions for tackles that are just as often as not, accidental.

Far fetch but who wore 26 in 1993.
813D3D04 BCA1 4512 820B 543683DC8704

Jesus it is hard to believe what you read sometimes. There is plenty wrong with the game but the lack of shoulder charges is not on of them.

good to see our PM can kick in for tas to get a new AFL ground for a new team meanwhile flat out getting two pennies for suburban ground upgrades in the NRL unless you are in a marginal area like penrith.
lets see if minns bucks the trend

View attachment 22043

Twal should do the same post with Carrigan.

Obviously he’s been playing for the Tigers, but I don’t know how you can go for 5-6 years and 100+ games and still not get over for a try

I guess Patty’s over halfway there already too but man, seeing wingers just fall over the line week in week out must be doing some kind of psychological damage to these blokes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Broncosgirl
  • Bucking Beads
  • Santa
  • BroncosAlways
  • Fozz
  • Jazza
  • Foordy
  • Morkel
  • Brocko
  • Midean
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • FACTHUNT
  • thenry
  • Huge
  • Strop
  • Waynesaurus
  • Dash
  • Stix
... and 15 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.