NRL General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not NRL but in the ESL last night between Hull KR and Wigan, the match was very briefly suspended and players were asked to leave the field because of a stray drone flying over the field.

I caught the end of that match live this morning actually. Entertaining stuff. I'd watch a lot more of it if it was on earlier tbh.

I caught the end of that match live this morning actually. Entertaining stuff. I'd watch a lot more of it if it was on earlier tbh.

Yep cracking finish, one of the best I've seen in a while and a reminder of what competent refereeing used to look like.

It was a cracking game. Wille Peters has done a brilliant job at Hull so far but he does seem to tinker his side a lot which the KR fans seem to think contributes a bit to some of their losses. I think i read somewhere their right side backline has had 7 different combinations this year in 13 games and their left side has had 5 i think it was.

Add the Bird try for St Merge the other night against the fins as another stuff up. It was scored on the 7th tackle. Oh dear the ref, two touchies and the two in the bunker all managed to get that wrong.

They are thanking their lucky stars it never changed the result in terms of who won.

Just thought I'd enquire .. @1910 .. or anyone else who may know .. a few years ago, I think it was when Corey Oates might have been re-signing .. I read an article (from whom I believe, from memory, via CM, was Brent Read) that players who remained Broncos for life, were entitled to collect 75k per year, as some kind of pension (which wasn't counted on the salary cap), for life?

Can anyone confirm please?

Just thought I'd enquire .. @1910 .. or anyone else who may know .. a few years ago, I think it was when Corey Oates might have been re-signing .. I read an article (from whom I believe, from memory, via CM, was Brent Read) that players who remained Broncos for life, were entitled to collect 75k per year, as some kind of pension (which wasn't counted on the salary cap), for life?

Can anyone confirm please?
There is some sort of long service contract bonus, where a certain amount is taken off the cap. Which I believe Oates is eligible for

There is some sort of long service contract bonus, where a certain amount is taken off the cap. Which I believe Oates is eligible for
Thanks @ZTop :happy:

I was sure that it wasn't pulled from the cap. Could be wrong though.

But if anyone deserves that 75k per year for life .. it's Oatsey <3

Wonder if it's the same at all clubs? 🤔

Thanks @ZTop

I thought it was a nrl wide thing

Thanks @ZTop :happy:

I thought it was a nrl wide thing

There is (or at least used to be, the NRL very well could have changed it by now) a veterans allowance (which is separate from the cap, essentially allowing clubs to top up certain players pay packets)

I'm not quite sure what the current allowance is per club.

I'm also not sure what the current qualification requirements are, but IIRC, it used to be 7 years for a single club or 10 years in the NRL

There is (or at least used to be, the NRL very well could have changed it by now) a veterans allowance (which is separate from the cap, essentially allowing clubs to top up certain players pay packets)

I'm not quite sure what the current allowance is per club.

I'm also not sure what the current qualification requirements are, but IIRC, it used to be 7 years for a single club or 10 years in the NRL
Thanks for the info @Foordy :)

The article may have left some additional info out, as in this instance they were only referring to Corey.

It just said as long as he remained a one club player, he was good to go.

75k a year, for life, is a lot of money. Wonder if this could be why Rabbits wanted Reynolds gone. How long was he a Rabbit for?

75k a year, for life, is a lot of money. Wonder if this could be why Rabbits wanted Reynolds gone. How long was he a Rabbit for?

Reynolds was at the Rabbitohs for about 11 years, so he easily would have qualified for the veteran's allowance, plus he would have taken less to stay ... pretty much all they had to do to keep him was offer him a two year contract, at the time they claimed they would only offer 1 year contracts to players over 30 (that's now obviously changed)

Thanks for the info @Foordy :)

The article may have left some additional info out, as in this instance they were only referring to Corey.

It just said as long as he remained a one club player, he was good to go.

I'm not sure of a pension after footy, but the veteran's allowance is like $300k across the club outside the cap... which is garbage and does **** all to promote development within clubs.

Broncos will generally look after ex players by finding them a role in the club after footy... you can't promise that within a contract though, which is what Wests did with Farah.

I'm not sure of a pension after footy, but the veteran's allowance is like $300k across the club outside the cap... which is garbage and does **** all to promote development within clubs.

Broncos will generally look after ex players by finding them a role in the club after footy... you can't promise that within a contract though, which is what Wests did with Farah.
So .. there is a limit of 300k? :o

I didn't know that. Wonder how long this has been in effect for, because at some point, that limit would surely be reached? 😕 So what happens with players that come after that? Kinda seems a bit ... odd tbh.

But aye, it does SFA for development & retention etc. 😖

So .. there is a limit of 300k? :o

I didn't know that. Wonder how long this has been in effect for, because at some point, that limit would surely be reached? 😕 So what happens with players that come after that? Kinda seems a bit ... odd tbh.

But aye, it does SFA for development & retention etc. 😖
It's $300k whilst they're playing... i.e. each club gets $300k outside the cap that they can give to Veterans that qualify and are in the Top 30 squad.

It's $300k whilst they're playing... i.e. each club gets $300k outside the cap that they can give to Veterans that qualify and are in the Top 30 squad.
Ah .. okay. The thing I am speaking of is probably something different. It did say that this was a 75k per year payment for life.

So confused lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Mr Fourex
  • Broncosgirl
  • Foordy
  • Justwin
  • Wolfie
  • Fitzy
  • Xzei
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Harry Sack
  • Cavalo
  • Stix
  • Jazza
  • Galah
  • Culhwch
  • bazza
  • Broncorob
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.