NRL Player Movements & Rumours

Status
Not open for further replies.
And has been able to protect his body by playing AFL and Union since then, so he won't be as busted as your average 33/34 year old League player.

Folau is legit elite, he'd be worth the gamble, especially with our current centre and fullback stocks.
Agree, he's a freak and I'll back him to slot back in as well if not better than any other returning player. Straight into the QLD side for Origin.

forget about Folau's comment's for a second ... if the NRL register his contract at the figures being reported, it is an absolute JOKE.

reports are that the Dragons plan on getting him on their roster for 400k in 2021 and 600k in 2022
That'll turn out to be a bargain but at least they have learnt from their mistakes, wasn't he going to sign with Eels years ago but the NRL priced him out of the game?

That'll turn out to be a bargain but at least they have learnt from their mistakes, wasn't he going to sign with Eels years ago but the NRL priced him out of the game?

IIRC, the Eels tried to sign him for damn near minimum wage. the NRL, correctly IMO, said that was BS and not happening.

in this case, it's not like Folau has been rotting in AFL. he spend 6 years playing an elite rugby code (and playing for Australia), and a further year back in rugby league playing in a professional competition

IIRC, the Eels tried to sign him for damn near minimum wage. the NRL, correctly IMO, said that was BS and not happening.

in this case, it's not like Folau has been rotting in AFL. he spend 6 years playing an elite rugby code (and playing for Australia), and a further year back in rugby league playing in a professional competition
Fair enough. ~500k seems right to me given how other players have returned, even though I think in Folau's case it'll prove to be a bargain.

IIRC $75K/yr but something bullshit like $650k in "third party" sponsorship on top.

IIRC $75K/yr but something bullshit like $650k in "third party" sponsorship on top.
I don't recall it being that outrageous but it was just before news of their salary cap scandal went public wasn't it?

They're likely to do reasonably well out of him at 500k a season averaged over two years but that's more because he's a supreme athlete with no real injury concerns throughout his career. On paper just about any other Outside Back at that age and with that time out of the game would be insane. In truth their major risk at this point is him having his contract torn up mid season by the NRL for tweeting something stupid, so that plays a part in the value too.

That said, I don't think $500k is the kind of money the NRL should be knocking back. You could make that argument if you felt it was outrageously below his real value, but in truth it's probably around about right, and at worst it's slightly on the low side of his potential. No one is likely to come along and stump up $800k for him so I don't think the NRL would have much to argue with if a $500k deal was put in front of them.

Last edited:
Foxsports reporting that Warriors eyeing off Drinkwater as a potential replacement for RTS.

Cowboys expecting to negotiate with the player next week.

With Clifford out the door and Morgan's injury issues, you'd think the Cows will be pretty keen to hang on to Drinkwater as a 5/8 option.

Last edited:
Foxsports reporting that Warriors eyeing off Drinkwater as a potential replacement for RTS.

Cowboys expecting to negotiate with the player next week.
I hope we are chasing Drinky. Happily drop Staggs for him

I hope we are chasing Drinky. Happily drop Staggs for him
Cows are in a tough spot for negotiating. Only way he fits in the current line up is with Morgan at 7 and he's practically broken. Can't see them relying on him as a HB long term.

Drink probably sees himself as a FB too but with Hammer and Val they are well covered there. Won't be shocked if he decides to leave.

Cows are in a tough spot for negotiating. Only way he fits in the current line up is with Morgan at 7 and he's practically broken. Can't see them relying on him as a HB long term.

Drink probably sees himself as a FB too but with Hammer and Val they are well covered there. Won't be shocked if he decides to leave.
Morgan is signed to $1m a year till the end of 2023, so he ain't going anywhere.

I am 99% sure Drinkwater has said he sees himself as a 6, not a 1.

Momirovski joins Panthers and Laurie joins the Tigpies

I'm happy to see the Panthers and Tigers came to an arrangement.

Laurie is too good a prospect to be sitting on the sidelines and he's a great chance of being the Tigers first choice fullback. I really like what they're building over at Concord and while they still have a couple of dead weight contracts to deal with, there's a lot of quality prospects in the mix. They're one of the teams I'm really looking forward to watching in 2021.

I also think Momirovski is a good pick-up for the Panthers. He doesn't have a big reputation and if fans do remember him it's usually as the guy who missed the kick which kept Wests from playing finals footy in 2019, but he was also the guy who did a wonderful job of filling in for Latrell in that 2018 prelim. Crichton has that left edge covered, but that right edge for Penrith could use some work and he'd be a decent fit.

I'm happy to see the Panthers and Tigers came to an arrangement.

Laurie is too good a prospect to be sitting on the sidelines and he's a great chance of being the Tigers first choice fullback. I really like what they're building over at Concord and while they still have a couple of dead weight contracts to deal with, there's a lot of quality prospects in the mix. They're one of the teams I'm really looking forward to watching in 2021.

I also think Momirovski is a good pick-up for the Panthers. He doesn't have a big reputation and if fans do remember him it's usually as the guy who missed the kick which kept Wests from playing finals footy in 2019, but he was also the guy who did a wonderful job of filling in for Latrell in that 2018 prelim. Crichton has that left edge covered, but that right edge for Penrith could use some work and he'd be a decent fit.
I've got to say I agree and I enjoy watching the Tigers too, but I'm by no means convinced they're on the cusp of becoming a serious competitor. I think Harry Grant was a revelation for them last year but being realistic, if they couldn't crack a finals berth in what was a historically very low bar to get over in 2020 WITH Harry Grant, then I'm honestly not sure how they're planning to do it this year in what will probably be a more 'normal' benchmark for making the finals WITHOUT Harry Grant.

Last edited:
I've got to say I agree and I enjoy watching the Tigers too, but I'm by no means convinced they're on the cusp of becoming a serious competitor. I think Harry Grant was a revelation for them last year but being realistic, if they couldn't crack a finals berth in what was a historically very low bar to get over in 2020 WITH Harry Grant, then I'm honestly not sure how they're planning to do it this year in what will probably be a more 'normal' benchmark for making the finals WITHOUT Harry Grant.
While I agree with your overall sentiment, the tigers have a pretty handy Grant replacement in Jake Simpkin. A very class young dummy half. Obviously he’s not Harry Grant though.

Tigers have made some decent signings and Tamau should bring a lot to their forward pack, I don’t think he will though because for some reason the Tigers have been the place impactful props career’s go to die.

The Lailua’s and Roberts is too much of an IQ deficit for any team’s average IQ to absorb and as is often the case with the tigers, will result in some moments of jaw dropping brilliance and even more moments of forehead slapping stupidity.

They have no fullback or 5/8th but at least they have a perpetually underperforming child prodigy who is about to have is break out season any mi....wait Brooks is 27? Never mind then.

Shawn Blore is an absolute beast though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• Manifesto
  • Sproj
  • LittleDavey
  • broncsgoat
  • Broncosgirl
  • Midean
  • ChewThePhatt
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Rowdy124
  • Allo
  • Harry Sack
  • Bronco bob
  • pennywisealfie
  • Bish
  • whykickamoocow
  • FACTHUNT
  • GCBRONCO
  • Fatboy
  • Volvo Driver
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.