NRL Player Movements & Rumours

Status
Not open for further replies.
While I agree with your overall sentiment, the tigers have a pretty handy Grant replacement in Jake Simpkin. A very class young dummy half. Obviously he’s not Harry Grant though.

Tigers have made some decent signings and Tamau should bring a lot to their forward pack, I don’t think he will though because for some reason the Tigers have been the place impactful props career’s go to die.

The Lailua’s and Roberts is too much of an IQ deficit for any team’s average IQ to absorb and as is often the case with the tigers, will result in some moments of jaw dropping brilliance and even more moments of forehead slapping stupidity.

They have no fullback or 5/8th but at least they have a perpetually underperforming child prodigy who is about to have is break out season any mi....wait Brooks is 27? Never mind then.

Shawn Blore is an absolute beast though.
My sentiments exactly. I hear great things about Simpkin but Harry Grant looks like being one of the greats and was already delivering Dally M level performances last year and it's unlikely to think they're going to get that any time soon from Simpkin.

They do have some real talents but similarly they've got some absolute hot and cold guys and those sort of sides rarely cause much of a stir at the pointy end of the year.

They're well Coached and they are recruiting well, but without some real quality in their spine I think they've got a long way to go to be a serious contender. As I said, if they couldn't get over a very historically low bar WITH Grant, I don't see how they get over a higher one without him.

I've got to say I agree and I enjoy watching the Tigers too, but I'm by no means convinced they're on the cusp of becoming a serious competitor. I think Harry Grant was a revelation for them last year but being realistic, if they couldn't crack a finals berth in what was a historically very low bar to get over in 2020 WITH Harry Grant, then I'm honestly not sure how they're planning to do it this year in what will probably be a more 'normal' benchmark for making the finals WITHOUT Harry Grant.
I agree that they're not premiership favourites just yet but in comparison to the hole they found themselves in when Cleary ditched them, they're making a lot of moves that could turn the place around.

As good a season as Grant had, he was still developing his game and didn't have the skillset to carry a team in a transitional phase. They had a lot of players in that team holding down the fort so to speak while the younger players matured. Now that a few of those players have been moved on, we should start seeing these young prospects make their way into the team and help form combinations which I'm excited to see.

I'm glad they're not dying on the vine and they're scouting good prospects they can build a team around for 2022.

I don't really know how much of a low bar 2020 was. It seemed like once it restarted, it favoured the teams with pre-existing combinations. The only new face we really saw was Newcastle who finally saw some semblance of success after grinding for three years. The other new face was Penrith who have been a finals mainstay since 2016 and only had the one anamoly in 2019 for a variety of reasons. A team in Wests' position was always going to struggle to overcome that.

My sentiments exactly. I hear great things about Simpkin but Harry Grant looks like being one of the greats and was already delivering Dally M level performances last year and it's unlikely to think they're going to get that any time soon from Simpkin.

They do have some real talents but similarly they've got some absolute hot and cold guys and those sort of sides rarely cause much of a stir at the pointy end of the year.

They're well Coached and they are recruiting well, but without some real quality in their spine I think they've got a long way to go to be a serious contender. As I said, if they couldn't get over a very historically low bar WITH Grant, I don't see how they get over a higher one without him.
Their roster doesn’t even really make sense. They have a notorious task master in Madge but have recruited notoriously lazy players such as Bj Leilua, and James Roberts. At least have a coach who throws caution to the wind and let’s boys be boys if you’re signing excitement machines who avoid the hard stuff.

I thought with Madge coming on we would see a lot of boring but well drilled reliable guys as he tries to create his Aldi version of the storm system but their recruitment moves towards flashy players (the previously mentioned, the attempts at signing JAC etc) says otherwise.

I look forward to watching their highlight reel but teams like this need to catch lightning in a bottle to have a hot enough run to hit the finals and then they are almost always exposed by the well drilled teams. The 09 Eels, The 2011 Warriors, The peak Benji Tigers last time they made the finals - though this team does not compete with any of those for raw talent.

Tigers will likely finish 9th yet again.

Last edited:
Their roster doesn’t even really make sense. They have a notorious task master in Madge but have recruited notoriously lazy players such as Bj Leilua, and James Roberts. At least have a coach who throws caution to the wind and let’s boys be boys if you’re signing excitement machines who avoid the hard stuff.
Roberts is reportedly on a bargain basement deal while Leilua fits into the mould of player Madge likes in the centres. That big body centre who wracks up carries and is tough to defend against close to the line. It also gave him access to Luciano who finally started to fulfill his promise under Maguire.

It's a meme at this point, but I think 9th is a very safe prediction with this team. For their sake, I hope it's a close finish with something to build on instead of 2019 where they clearly over-achieved and were sent back to square one when Matterson realised he preferred winning.

Roberts is reportedly on a bargain basement deal while Leilua fits into the mould of player Madge likes in the centres. That big body centre who wracks up carries and is tough to defend against close to the line. It also gave him access to Luciano who finally started to fulfill his promise under Maguire.

It's a meme at this point, but I think 9th is a very safe prediction with this team. For their sake, I hope it's a close finish with something to build on instead of 2019 where they clearly over-achieved and were sent back to square one when Matterson realised he preferred winning.
Haha yeah, it is a meme but as you said, I genuinely believe it is the most likely outcome. Of course the potential for luck to go either way is particularly high with the tigers and they could scrape into the 8 or finish as low as 14th.

speaking of the Tigpies, what are people's thoughts on Jake Simpkins. because to me it seems he is out of favour down there. it looks like Jacob Liddle will be their starting hooker in 2021. and they also recently were reported to be interested in Cam McInnes

speaking of the Tigpies, what are people's thoughts on Jake Simpkins. because to me it seems he is out of favour down there. it looks like Jacob Liddle will be their starting hooker in 2021. and they also recently were reported to be interested in Cam McInnes

Despite the wraps on him, I don’t know how a player that hasn’t played first grade can be considered out of favour. I don’t think just start a rookie cold in such an important position unless you’re a top 4 squad and/or you have no other options.

He's a good player, Tigers would be wrong to discard him yet. He's only played 1 game and didn't look out of place against men last year in the Cup- lasted half the game and set up a try and had three really good runs. His defence was good in the middle too- he body slams blokes- good technique like Hetherington.

Simpkins isn't dissimilar to Grant- his running is very strong and almost like a second rower. His try range is 3m out and he just finds a way and burrows for a guy that doesn't look big he did it for Wynnum MM all the time.

Queensland Under 18 in 2019 he scored a great try to kick off the win- gets on a back of a drop ball bit of confusion- Piakura knocks a few over and bit disorganised a half stuck too close to the ruck and he goes over from 2m.- but he was looking around and noticed all this and took the run.

Simpkins and Madden could be the future Tigers half and hooker. I'd gladly have SImpkins back at Brisbane- I think he's going to be a handy NRL player.

Last edited:
The NRL needs to address the transfer window.

I find it ridiculous the Panthers are being pressured into releasing Matt Burton. Not only has he signed onto play for Penrith in 2021, he came through their system so they deserve some credit for him receiving that offer in the first place.

We shouldn't be having this conversation. If anything, it should be what can the Bulldogs offer the Panthers to make it worth their while. Otherwise the only conversation we should be having is the embarrassment of riches at Penrith and how strong they are through the grades.

I was critical a few years ago about Bennett's decision to release Taylor but in this current climate you can understand the decision. As soon as November rolls around, desperate teams are just throwing out ridiculous offers and it just creates an unwanted distraction. You can either spend energy trying to smooth it over, or it can all boil over like it did with Mitchell Moses who really packed it in during his final few games at Wests.

Cameron Smith to the Titans is going to piss off a lot of people on here.

Truth is he was going to go there in 2009 until the Storm cooked the books to keep him.

Truth is he was going to go there in 2009 until the Storm cooked the books to keep him.
I'm sure he was signing with us until it happened

It will piss me off as there's simply no way I can see the Titans affording him under the cap with who they have signed.....so I will believe that it is clever cheating from the Tits or the NRL sticking their head in the sand.
But I won't be pissed that the Broncos missed out on him. Him and Bellamy are a cancer to Rugby League.

It will piss me off as there's simply no way I can see the Titans affording him under the cap with who they have signed.....so I will believe that it is clever cheating from the Tits or the NRL sticking their head in the sand.
But I won't be pissed that the Broncos missed out on him. Him and Bellamy are a cancer to Rugby League.

The big win for someone if he signs again is that you have saved yourself four months of pay. You're paying him for eight months of work.

Which will get the price down.

The big win for someone if he signs again is that you have saved yourself four months of pay. You're paying him for eight months of work.

Which will get the price down.
😮 You saying that he’s waiting until enough of the season has passed that his remaining value is low enough that the titans can fit him under the cap?

Last edited:
Wow, if he does go the Titans, with him and Brimson in the spine, they are serious premiership threats.

😮 You saying that he’s waiting until enough of the season has passed that his remaining value is low enough that the titans can fit him under the cap?
Yeah sign up June 30th and it's 3 months on the salary cap so they can nab him for 200k. Smith will only do it if they're looking good so he can glory hunt.

Last edited:
Yeah sign up June 30th and it's 3 months on the salary cap so they can nab him for 200k. Smith will only do it if they're looking good so he can glory hunt.
If that happens it will royally piss off whoever is their hooker at the time.
Hmm maybe the broncos could make them an offer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Griffo
  • Xzei
  • Battler
  • BroncosAlways
  • something
  • The Don
  • Bish
  • Foordy
  • scobie
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Wolfie
  • Sproj
  • bb_gun
  • Justwin
  • Broncorob
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.