NRL Players and family members in hot water

The NRL have reportedly issued a Breach notice to JAC. the proposed penalty is a $15k fine and 4 match suspension.

the same article says that The Bulldogs have been offered St George Illawarra winger Mikaele Ravalawa as part of a potential deal that could involve Josh Addo-Carr heading in the opposite direction. The Bulldogs are understood to have rejected that offer
Sucks that the a NRL club, who standing up for values, can sack a degen and that same player can go and play for another NRL club straight away.

Not the usual thing for this thread but Ponga has certainly found himself in the news a bit. Dumb way for him to handle it for mine. Crawley and co calling for him to be sanctioned and miss games next year for bringing the game in to disrepute is fucking laughable.

Not the usual thing for this thread but Ponga has certainly found himself in the news a bit. Dumb way for him to handle it for mine. Crawley and co calling for him to be sanctioned and miss games next year for bringing the game in to disrepute is fucking laughable.
It should be a pretty easy punishment as for the rest of the comp as well. You don't want to play for Australia your banned from Origin for life as well. That includes all the Tongans and Samoans as well.

Dumb rules yes but those are the rules. He should've stepped on Lego and claimed he had a foot injury.

Dumb rules yes but those are the rules. He should've stepped on Lego and claimed he had a foot injury.
Dad is the manager. Not sure there is much going on upstairs TBH.
2 phone calls and this isn't a problem, common courtesy extended to Mal and the ARL.
As far as the journos are concerned they can well and truly go **** themselves.
It's not there job to come up with suggestions on how a player should he punished.
Does anyone really think if it was Cleary they would be suggesting he miss origin .

Whilst handled poorly, it seems that part of the issue with Ponga is that he wants an opportunity to rest and reset before the preseason.

As such, does anyone know how long the players have off under their CBA? I keep seeing conflicting reports - same say 6 weeks, others 10.

So say, for example, you're a player in one of the bottom 8 teams who finished their season in early September and then got picked for the Pacific Championships. Does the time between the end of their season and the start of the Pacific Championship count towards that annual leave?

Take Carrigan, for example - the Broncos regular season finished the first week of September. Realistically, if he gets picked, he'll go into camp with the test squad the week after the GF, meaning that he's already had approximately 4 weeks off. If it's 10 weeks leave in total, he then takes another 6 weeks leave and comes back to Broncos pre-season in early January. Is that right?

On the eve of a weekend where eight teams will battle it out for incredibly rare spots in two Grand Finals, we once again spend our time trying to demoralise and cut people down instead of being responsible about how we analyse rugby league.

The disappointing part is, unfortunately, that it’s not surprising. We’re so conditioned to the brutal negativity that some genuinely think this is the only way to critique and promote our game.

We know that the game doesn’t function as a profitable and thriving industry without the valid opinions of those who promote and analyse our game across radio, television, and all media alike.

But most of us – players and fans alike – know there are better and more interesting ways to celebrate rugby league, its elite athletes, fans, and clubs.

You only need to look to the growing success of modern media platforms hosted by players, past players and fans to see what people are craving when it comes to an evolution of what balanced and genuine critiques of our great game look and sound like. Thankfully, there are still lots of good people in the broader media who want to and do tell great stories while also expressing their honest opinions and fair criticisms.

There are, however, some loud voices that try to dominate what most of us are trying to achieve and what the game deserves.

No one is saying you can’t have an opinion or criticism. But there’s a difference between having an opinion and tearing apart people’s characters.

There’s a difference between acknowledging genuine mistakes and crossing the line into reputational damage.

Players are allowed to make fair and reasonable decisions without the fear of retribution.

Players are allowed to play below their best without being targeted with lengthy and negative agendas. Their actions as rugby league players don’t determine a player’s entire worth.

When it comes to their jobs as elite rugby league players, NRL and NRLW players are used to criticism of their performances – privately and publicly. It comes with the territory of working in a high-performance environment.

Let’s, however, aim to move toward a landscape where criticism is balanced, rugby league is celebrated more often, and agendas are a thing of the past. With fair and balanced criticism, we can ensure the integrity and growth of our beloved sport.

Welp, someone out there has had a gut full of their negative coverage.

I agree with Ponga's decision completely, and I'm sure Knight's fans, fans of the club that pay him as the highest paid player in the game are absolutely stoked to hear he has pulled out to focus on getting right for next season...

If Carrigan did the same I'd be stoked.

The fact it's been blown up isn't a shock, however, if he had just said he had a knock nobody would have bat an eyelid.

I agree with Ponga's decision completely, and I'm sure Knight's fans, fans of the club that pay him as the highest paid player in the game are absolutely stoked to hear he has pulled out to focus on getting right for next season...

If Carrigan did the same I'd be stoked.

The fact it's been blown up isn't a shock, however, if he had just said he had a knock nobody would have bat an eyelid.

If Carrigan did it, we'd lose him anyway. this stance by Ponga is a breach of his NRL playing contract. in fact it sounds like the NRL may punish him by deeming him ineligible for the Maroons next season. the following is from a Fox sports article:

If Ponga now wants to represent the Maroons in 2025 and beyond and not be suspended for the Knights’ premiership tilt next year he will need to make himself available to play in the Pacific Championships or present an injury that rules him out.

If Carrigan did it, we'd lose him anyway. this stance by Ponga is a breach of his NRL playing contract. in fact it sounds like the NRL may punish him by deeming him ineligible for the Maroons next season. the following is from a Fox sports article:
For what it's worth, I did mean taking the route of "I'm injured, can't play Mal". Not the public statement, but yeah I get it's a breach how Ponga has gone about it.

**** sake is that prick ever going to be available for origin.

Banning him from origin helps knights... him missing Aus duty and then being available through the origin period significantly improves knights chances.

Knights fans would be fucking stoked if that's the outcome of this.

Reece may have got the fullback spot anyway, but he would be locked in if Ponga is suspended from it... that can create complacency, because he wants to be available for origin... we saw how that played out Rd 12 this year when the team was either looking ahead to the bye or origin duty and we leaked 30+ points to the titans at Suncorp with them playing second rowers in the centres.

**** sake is that prick ever going to be available for origin.

Banning him from origin helps knights... him missing Aus duty and then being available through the origin period significantly improves knights chances.

Knights fans would be fucking stoked if that's the outcome of this.

Reece may have got the fullback spot anyway, but he would be locked in if Ponga is suspended from it... that can create complacency, because he wants to be available for origin... we saw how that played out Rd 12 this year when the team was either looking ahead to the bye or origin duty and we leaked 30+ points to the titans at Suncorp with them playing second rowers in the centres.

unless he also gets suspended for some Knights games during origin ... that section if the article I quoted mentions a Knights suspension (although they don't elaborate)

Active Now

• RolledOates
  • Johnny92
  • Broncosgirl
  • BruiserMk1
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • abashii
  • Emanon
  • Battler
  • Harry Sack
  • Reds2011
  • BroncsNBundy
  • Sproj
  • BroncosAlways
  • ChewThePhatt
  • NSW stables
  • westy316
  • barker
  • Wolfie
  • bb_gun
  • HVbronco
... and 26 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.