CROSS FORUM NRL Round 13 Discussion

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
It's kind of pitiable how Milford's career turned out. From missing the Clive Churchill by a nose hair to perennial loser.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
It's kind of pitiable how Milford's career turned out. From missing the Clive Churchill by a nose hair to perennial loser.

It's the result of him thinking he already had it all. His running game and the by-product of being allusive is what got him the big money in first grade, but he just steadfast refused to acknowledge that even with all the talent in the world, you need to keep developing. And I do mean refuse, remember the Broncos had Lockyer there ready to mentor him and he fucking turned it down. I don't even blame the Broncos for wanting to instill game-managing skills in to his game, it was part of a long term plan for him - his game was as one-dimensional as it gets, I mean, he was elite at it, but teams will work it out soon enough (which they did) and players need to develop outside of that. And here we are, whether the rumours of him with his poor habits (diet and smoking) are true, whether he slowed down with age, or whether teams just worked out how to smother his running game, he has very little to offer, and being a depth half for a new and building club is the best he is able to get. If the Dolphins weren't in the comp I doubt he'd be in the NRL at this point.

BroncosFever

BroncosFever

State of Origin Rep
Jun 6, 2014
I can't be convinced that if Milford committed his lifestyle 150% towards being a footy player, there wouldn't be a really good player in there somewhere. You don't go from being as good as he was to being as shit as he is now, without taking an easy option somewhere along the way.

Broncos Maestro

Broncos Maestro

NRL Player
May 1, 2016
Listened to a bit of the Panthers press conference after the game and Cleary basically said they lost due to having a changing and young squad.

So basically if they can’t field their best team this year, they should be f$#ked and not win the GF. Also shows how useless they are when Chin-face and Rapist-eyes aren’t playing together.

BroncosFever

BroncosFever

State of Origin Rep
Jun 6, 2014
Listened to a bit of the Panthers press conference after the game and Cleary basically said they lost due to having a changing and young squad.

So basically if they can’t field their best team this year, they should be f$#ked and not win the GF. Also shows how useless they are when Chin-face and Rapist-eyes aren’t playing together.

Dylan Edwards is the big loss in that team during Origin, years gone by they’ve had him and he’s extremely underrated. He has really stepped up his creativity in attack without Cleary in the side but obviously this weekend they didn’t have him out there.

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
It's the result of him thinking he already had it all. His running game and the by-product of being allusive is what got him the big money in first grade, but he just steadfast refused to acknowledge that even with all the talent in the world, you need to keep developing.

I think his decline largely was part of the pressure and expectation on him in a team who's success and failure depended solely on his performance.....

Those last few years with us shattered his confidence and he looks likely to never recover.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
I think his decline largely was part of the pressure and expectation on him in a team who's success and failure depended solely on his performance.....

Those last few years with us shattered his confidence and he looks likely to never recover.

He'll never admit but it was also a large failing of Wayne Bennett. He is on record as saying that if he got his development right, he would go down as an all timer. Bennett tried to shoehorn him in to what he clearly wasn't - a game managing 7.

Of course there were several factors at play but in the end...the proof is in Milford's large proportion of pudding.

J

Jazza

QCup Player
Mar 4, 2008
Milford clearly didn’t have the work ethic and drive to become an all-time great but we did let him down massively by trying to turn him into something he’s not. You could see him look so confused sometimes and not backing himself so he’s be available for a fifth tackle kick. Would’ve been interesting to see what would have become of him if he’d had taken Melbourne’s big offer to him instead of staying.

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
He'll never admit but it was also a large failing of Wayne Bennett. He is on record as saying that if he got his development right, he would go down as an all timer. Bennett tried to shoehorn him in to what he clearly wasn't - a game managing 7.

In WB's defence....I don't think we had much other option at the time but to try and do so .

broncsgoat

broncsgoat

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Oct 28, 2013
Milford was destroyed by pies… not the four n twenty kind

Tho they may have played a part

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
The comparison is Ben Hunt. Ben was never able to recapture his 2015 form and while he's hardly had any success at the Dragons, he's still regarded as a quality player in the NRL fraternity. If Milford had have put the past couple of years behind him and formed a lethal combination with the Hammer and JMK, his entire career would have been re-evaluated.

Instead he's virtually just another Owen Craigie/Tim Smith type. A rookie sensation that flamed out quickly.

Waynesaurus

Waynesaurus

NRL Captain
Jun 3, 2013
Right.....so.......Sutton is just ignoring Roosters knock ons today, that's twice now.

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
That’s. cowboys knock on

Unread

Active Now

• ettybay
  • pennywisealfie
  • ChewThePhatt
  • ivanhungryjak
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.