NRLW & General Women's Rugby League Discussion 2021-22

That's a good signing. She'll help make up for the loss of Millie.

Some more new faces

Nita Maynard, Brianna Clark, Shakiah Tungai and Paige Parker

Very unfortunate story about contracted player from last season Toni Hunt

She’s been diagnosed with bile duct cancer

National Championships finished up today at Burleigh:

NSW Country who seem to think they deserve a team in opens defeat WA 24-0 in the final

In the U19’s the Queensland Rubys defeated the NSW City side 10-4 in the final. Ellie Williamson the five-eighth for the Rubys named player of the tournament

Pelite re-signs with the Titans

Caitlin Moran who’s been playing for Wests Brisbane finally returns to top grade with Newcastle. They’ve also signed Shanice Parker, Kiana Takairangi, Emmanita Paki, Tiana Davison, Tasmin Barber and Nicole Nathan

This is a bad call IMO.

Expansion should be the last thing on the list at the moment. Focus on improving the product first, then worry about expansion.

Like I’ve said in the past, it’ll effectively become an Olympic soccer type of comp in the next few years once the old guard retire and there’ll teams of at most 23-year olds, with maybe a few exceptions.

This will also harm the state competitions as there’s no way the Gold Stars/Cowboys will be able to field a team in both

Typical NRL mal-administration

Two more added to our NRLW squad: fullback Hayley Maddick re-signing and talented emerging forward Hannah Larsson joining for her first year.

Two more added to our NRLW squad: fullback Hayley Maddick re-signing and talented emerging forward Hannah Larsson joining for her first year.

At least we’re using one of our spots properly. I’ve been calling to sign girls like Hannah for a while now, even if it’s only development like Carter and Herdegen. But to be a full squad member is a big boost for her.

those are the ones we need to sign and keep to build long term when we move into multi-year contracts once they stop the unnecessary rapid expansion.

But God help us if Maddick is our fullback this year

I’ve been meaning to do a more comprehensive update as its been a while but when you’re working 60hr+ weeks whatever sleep you can get is a bit more valuable

NRLW set to rock Suncorp Stadium​

broncos.com.au
Tue 9 Aug 2022, 02:00 PM

Tickets On Sale as Broncos Secure Venue Change to put NRLW on the Big Stage at Suncorp

The Brisbane Broncos have announced the club’s NRLW squad will make history and play their first ever standalone game at Suncorp Stadium, as tickets go on sale to the general public.

With the NRL Telstra Women’s Premiership season kick-off less than a fortnight away, the Broncos have confirmed the new look side will play at the club’s spiritual home in round two against defending premiers, the Sydney Roosters in a semi-final rematch, on August 27.

The club worked with officials for a venue change from Redcliffe’s Moreton Daily Stadium for at least one of the two home games announced, following the release of the NRLW draw last month.

In making the announcement, Broncos CEO Dave Donaghy said: “It’s incredibly exciting news. There is no bigger stage for our women, and that’s exactly where they belong.

“We’re thrilled that we’ve been able to secure the game at Suncorp Stadium, but more importantly, we’re excited for our fans and members who now have the chance to watch our incredible athletes have the stage to themselves at home.

“It was only right to launch our NRLW season on centre field during the Women In League round, and this will be another special moment.

“Unfortunately, there’s a clash with the Matildas playing at Suncorp the following weekend, for our other home clash against the Titans, so we’ll stay at Moreton Daily Stadium for that one.

“We’d love to see everyone in a couple of weeks for this Broncos NRLW first and a terrific afternoon of footy.”

Adult tickets are $15 and a family of four can gain access for just $30, secure them here.

With the 2022 competition starting this week, I figure it's now or never to do an off-season wrap-up and team thoughts

As is the nature of the competition running for only ~6 weeks, there's been plenty of player movement that seems relatively arbitrary. Hopefully starting next season we can start signing players to multi-year deals now we're using a money cap as well to try and have some idea of a future team going forward

2022 Squad:

Tarryn Aiken
Emily Bass
Ali Brigginshaw
Jaime Chapman
Shenae Ciesiolka
Brianna Clark
Jada Ferguson
Jasmine Fogavini
Lavinia Gould
Amber Hall
Tallisha Harden
Sophie Holyman
Hannah Larsson
Chelsea Lenarduzzi
Hayley Maddick
Nita Maynard
Annetta Nu'uausala
Paige Parker
Kaitlyn Phillips
Julia Robinson
Sara Sautia
Crystal Tamarua
Shakiah Tungai
Amy Turner

Development Players:
Jacinta Carter
Jayde Herdegan
Ellie Williamson

In my opinion this season, despite its brevity and on the premise most players sign on for next season ad beyond, could still signal the changing of the guard for a few remaining veterans

Ali looked like the game speed had moved past her earlier this year - outside of her game at Suncorp vs Parra, she telegraphed everything and the play broke down almost every time. They say to never write off a champion, but I worry if she can't rediscover her top form that she'll continue to handbrake the side, which is concerning as she says she wants to play for another few years.

I've floated her moving to lock to allow Ferguson to play halves, as we did that with Raecene McGregor when she was here.

I'd like to see Ferguson get more game time at half to continue her development, and to take advantage of her club combinations with Aiken and Chapman. She was the only player that did anything in the U19s* Origin and if we keep her on the bench (if at all) we may risk losing her with the 4 new clubs coming in next year, despite the family connection to Ciesiolka - they're cousins

Forward pack is interesting with the losses of Boyle (Knights), Brown and Murdoch (Titans), but in return we've gained Brianna Clark, Crystal Tamarua, Annetta Nu'uausala and Nita Maynard at hooker.

We also signed QLD U19s captain Hannah Larsson who may end up starting at lock by season's end, probably split with Sautia who was serviceable but ran out of steam by the end of the season. Gould should only be used as reserve hooker, no more lock forward please.

Clark, Hall, Nu'uausala and Lenarduzzi is still a top tier prop rotation, all origin or NZ reps - it's just up to Kelvin to use them correctly, which I still believe was one of the reasons we lost that semi to the Roosters

Back row is Phillips, Harden and Tamarua, Sautia and possibly Fogavini who moved there for BMD this year. Phillips surprised me and ended up being a big focal point in attack with her line-running, so very happy for her to continue. Harden continues to be a bit hit an miss with how effective she is, and I hope we can find an all-round better player

Backs lose Upton of course, which is huge, but I won't sleep over mercenaries who'll likely end up at NQ next season anyway. We gain Chapman, who I think can play fullback? Otherwise I hope it's Robbo at the back, or maybe even Shakiah Tungai - anyone but Maddick. I don't want to be mean, but Maddick just doesn't have the physicality to play anywhere except for maybe wing, and it's a big maybe. I'm scared as she's the only listed fullback on the Broncos site in the updated profiles

Along with Chapman is the aforementioned Tungai, Paige Parker, Jasmine Fogavini and Sophie Holyman. With Bass, Turner, Ciesiolka and Robbo still our likely first choice backline, I'm not sure how or where these players fit in outside of what happens with fullback, but it's great depth. The last two signings are forwards despite what their profiles say

Meg Ward also returns to the assistant coaching ranks also. I hope Kelvin makes some bold calls this season if we see wheels coming off early, again despite the short season, because otherwise we're protecting legacy over the club and young players' development

First Team List Tuesday this afternoon.

Kelvin heading back to NZ

I think it’s the right time for all parties

Probably the right decision, the team looked a bit rudderless this season. Showed they were really reliant on Boyle and Upton as Newcastle were this season.

Probably the right decision, the team looked a bit rudderless this season. Showed they were really reliant on Boyle and Upton as Newcastle were this season.
While they were obviously big losses (on the field), I think the other side to that coin was there was no plan to get us back in the game when our pack wasn’t dominant.

Kelvin lost a lot of my confidence after that Roosters semi when we were getting beaten in the forwards and he plays our only bench prop Roxy Murdoch, who was a great part of the rotation for only 16 minutes! but then gives Maddick double that? Even when we weren’t chasing points?

Just baffling.

I don’t know how involved Ikin is with the team usually but I know after his and Kev’s communication breakdown he was at training and involved through the season a fair amount with the girls, but I hope we start recruiting better or smarter if he’s got input there, as I feel Kelvin had most of the recruiting power and decision making, and it’s been dogshit this year save for Chapman and signing on Larsson

Maynard was very ordinary and I didn’t have any confidence when she was signed that she’d be the answer to losing Brown, and it showed that in the first game we played with Gould there she ran rings around anything Nita had done. But as I say every season, Gould won’t last forever as she’s 40 and it rang true as we had to play a half at hooker for the rest of the season

The other forward recruits were very underwhelming and we needed some better players other than Titan and Warrior off-cuts and a union convert that dropped the ball too much. Playing Maddick at fullback, while she wasn’t awful, sure as shit isn’t gonna win you a premiership.

Overall, while individuals had some of their best seasons - mostly the backs - the team never felt like they were playing well.

The brevity of the season doesn’t help when you have so many new players so hopefully that can help next season depending on how many stay.

Obviously Chapman and Larsson were great additions and I hope we sign them up long term. I’m like a broken record here but I want Ferguson to get quality time in the halves. She could possibly be a great hooker but we don’t want to Ben Hunt her until she has a breakout year the first chance she gets, leaves and we can never get her back. Backs are fine provided someone teach our wingers how to ground the fucking ball properly. Robbo hasn’t blown one yet but her technique is still quite suspect and Bass obviously stuffed one in the last game.

I do worry with the amount of new clubs coming that we’ll really get torn apart and not just be losing 3 international standard players.

Aiken is more important than Brigginshaw in my view and I hope the club agrees, because if we lose her, we’ll be stuffed for the next 5+ years

While they were obviously big losses (on the field), I think the other side to that coin was there was no plan to get us back in the game when our pack wasn’t dominant.

Kelvin lost a lot of my confidence after that Roosters semi when we were getting beaten in the forwards and he plays our only bench prop Roxy Murdoch, who was a great part of the rotation for only 16 minutes! but then gives Maddick double that? Even when we weren’t chasing points?

Just baffling.

I don’t know how involved Ikin is with the team usually but I know after his and Kev’s communication breakdown he was at training and involved through the season a fair amount with the girls, but I hope we start recruiting better or smarter if he’s got input there, as I feel Kelvin had most of the recruiting power and decision making, and it’s been dogshit this year save for Chapman and signing on Larsson

Maynard was very ordinary and I didn’t have any confidence when she was signed that she’d be the answer to losing Brown, and it showed that in the first game we played with Gould there she ran rings around anything Nita had done. But as I say every season, Gould won’t last forever as she’s 40 and it rang true as we had to play a half at hooker for the rest of the season

The other forward recruits were very underwhelming and we needed some better players other than Titan and Warrior off-cuts and a union convert that dropped the ball too much. Playing Maddick at fullback, while she wasn’t awful, sure as shit isn’t gonna win you a premiership.

Overall, while individuals had some of their best seasons - mostly the backs - the team never felt like they were playing well.

The brevity of the season doesn’t help when you have so many new players so hopefully that can help next season depending on how many stay.

Obviously Chapman and Larsson were great additions and I hope we sign them up long term. I’m like a broken record here but I want Ferguson to get quality time in the halves. She could possibly be a great hooker but we don’t want to Ben Hunt her until she has a breakout year the first chance she gets, leaves and we can never get her back. Backs are fine provided someone teach our wingers how to ground the fucking ball properly. Robbo hasn’t blown one yet but her technique is still quite suspect and Bass obviously stuffed one in the last game.

I do worry with the amount of new clubs coming that we’ll really get torn apart and not just be losing 3 international standard players.

Aiken is more important than Brigginshaw in my view and I hope the club agrees, because if we lose her, we’ll be stuffed for the next 5+ years

The good/bad thing about the NRLW is you won't be down for long- they one year contracts with a small group you just have to recruit smart and you can fix it in 12 months.

The good/bad thing about the NRLW is you won't be down for long- they one year contracts with a small group you just have to recruit smart and you can fix it in 12 months.

And I feel that didn’t happen this season, save a couple, and why I’ve been critical this double season. For instance we didn’t keep a spot for McGregor when we did it for Fressard and Moran when they were injured and we then lost her to the Roosters.

I hope from next year or the following we can start doing multi-year contracts to have some consistency and direction. Problem will be the NRL adding more and more teams and sitting in their hands when it’s comes to EBAs so clubs don’t know how much money to spend or perks to offer certain players

Active Now

• bb_gun
  • Morkel
  • TimWhatley
  • Brocko
  • Waynesaurus
  • Foordy
  • Mustafur
  • Organix
  • Battler
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Aldo
  • westy316
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Financeguy
  • kiwi2
  • Dash
  • BroncosAlways
  • Browny
  • broncsgoat
  • Harry Sack
... and 18 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.