NSW cricket myth

Broncoman

Broncoman

State of Origin Rep
Oct 9, 2011
I usually don't care about this but over the last couple of weeks I've seen some comments on cricket related stuff and some on here that are indicating that the Australian cricket selectors are bias towards players from NSW.

Being from NSW I know bias will show but I'm really tired of this and I believe this is just a myth tbh. I'm pretty certain NSW would've produced the most test cricketers but when you look throughout the history of Australian cricket NSW have constantly produced some of the best players in Australia and have the most successful shield record out of all the states. Steve Waugh, Mark Taylor, Richie Benaud, Alan Border, Jeff Thompson, Adam Gilchrist, Mark Waugh, Glen McGrath, Michael Slater, Brad Haddin, Don Bradman, Stan McCabe, Michael Clarke, etc the list goes on plus the 46 shield wins. You can also say that NSW players such as Beau Casson, Phil Jaques, Michael Bevan, Simon Katich and Stuart Macgill were entitled to more tests or were treated hardly by selectors, (Bevan played for Tassie but was NSW born and bred and MacGill was from WA but played his whole shield career for NSW i'm pretty sure). In my days of watching cricket the wierderst selections are non NSW players like Dan Cullen, Shaun Marsh (once) Bryce Mcgain and Michael Beer.

Maybe back in the 60's or something playing for NSW was an advantage but i've never really seen anything in my day that really suggests that NSW get an easier go.

Thoughts anyone?

It is not a myth. Beau Casson was from WA and his selection was as bad as Bryce McGain, Dan Cullen and Michael Beer.

Look at Mitchell Starc. There is no way he should have played test cricket yet. He is pure garbage in that form of the game. The Selectors seem to have this thing with picking NSW players on potential while other players from other states have performed better in domestic competitions but get over looked.

There seems to be some sort of bias, but I'm not sure I'd call it NSW bias these days.

However, when I grew up watching cricket it definitely felt like there was a NSW bias. Kasprowicz was harshly dropped for Brett Lee. At the SCG no less. And you have out there choices like Matthew Nicholson.

Also, how dumb to cite MacGill as an example. There's this guy named Shane Warne, who is the sole reason why MacGill didn't play 100 tests. Similarly, all spinners now are bad examples. Australia would pick me if I could turn it a cm. That's how desperate they are for a spinner.

And how do you get to claim MacGill is he's from WA but also get to claim Gilchrist?

Not sure if the selectors have a NSW bias, but there's 0 doubt that Broncoman does.

There seems to be some sort of bias, but I'm not sure I'd call it NSW bias these days.

However, when I grew up watching cricket it definitely felt like there was a NSW bias. Kasprowicz was harshly dropped for Brett Lee. At the SCG no less. And you have out there choices like Matthew Nicholson.

Also, how dumb to cite MacGill as an example. There's this guy named Shane Warne, who is the sole reason why MacGill didn't play 100 tests. Similarly, all spinners now are bad examples. Australia would pick me if I could turn it a cm. That's how desperate they are for a spinner.

And how do you get to claim MacGill is he's from WA but also get to claim Gilchrist?

Not sure if the selectors have a NSW bias, but there's 0 doubt that Broncoman does.

Gilchrist is NSW born and raised, came through the NSW ranks and played for and won a shield tile with NSW. He only moved to Western Australia to broaden his career and push his claims a lot further.

Youre not the first person to say how dumb i am for saying MacGill as unlucky but as you say MacGill was unfortunate to emerge when Warne did. I have no doubt if it wasn't for Warne MacGill would've played 100+ tests and taken 500 wickets, he would've gone down as an Australian great if he played in any other era. Shouldn't have used Stuart MacGill as an example it's just that he played for NSW and anyone who saw him play would tell you how great and unlucky he was not to play many more.

I have no bias towards any state's players if the players picked are the right men for the job I couldn't give a shit where they are fom

I don't even know how you can have state bias for players these days anyway. I still don't know whether to call Mitchell Johnson or Shane Watson Queenslanders. And if I do, does that Usman Khawaja and Ryan Harris are not? Not that it matters when they play for Australia anyway.

Please...this thread is a joke! Of course there is NSW bias, has been for decades. David Hooks put it best. When the NSW players get handed their baggy blues they also get handed their baggy greens in brown paper bag (for safe keeping). I love @Ari Gold 's assessment of the Lee v Kasprowicz example, that is spot on. Kasprowicz had done nothing to deserve getting dropped, but just because some NSW bloke can bowl fast we'll pick him. Also wen't through the 2001 Ashes tour averaging over 50 and kept his spot ahead of a much more experienced and in form Damien Fleming.

There are countless other examples, but given the hour I can't think of them off the top of my head.

LOLZ I can still remember McGain's selection and Beer's as well

Non New South Welshmen yet they were picked up from nowhere although we were scrapping at the barrel at the time and there wasn't much to chose from.

Shaun Young is another obscure selection and he was competing with NSW bowler Shane Lee

Shaun Young was selected because he was playing county cricket in England (our offseason) and Australia barely had any cattle left in the shed and it was the last test in the series.

Please...this thread is a joke! Of course there is NSW bias, has been for decades. David Hooks put it best. When the NSW players get handed their baggy blues they also get handed their baggy greens in brown paper bag (for safe keeping). I love @Ari Gold 's assessment of the Lee v Kasprowicz example, that is spot on. Kasprowicz had done nothing to deserve getting dropped, but just because some NSW bloke can bowl fast we'll pick him. Also wen't through the 2001 Ashes tour averaging over 50 and kept his spot ahead of a much more experienced and in form Damien Fleming.

There are countless other examples, but given the hour I can't think of them off the top of my head.

Someone is just jealous off all the talent NSW produces that goes spreads around the rest of the country. Cmon mate Kaspa was good but do you seriously believe he was better than the great Brett Lee :laugh:

As with David Hookes, yeah maybe back in the 70's playing for NSW was an advantage but I've never seen anything that would strongly suggest it in my time. Every state has had a lucky player, Queensland had Scott Muller who was picked over B.Lee FROM NSW, Bichel and Kaspa.

Can you still remember Bryce McGain and Michael Beer?

Shaun Young was selected because he was playing county cricket in England (our offseason) and Australia barely had any cattle left in the shed and it was the last test in the series.

Yeah but still it was a lucky selection and he wouldn't have played if it wasn't for all of that. Good player Young a bit unlucky to play in the golden age. I've seen his stats and some of his highlights and he was far from bad.

Non New South Welshmen yet they were picked up from nowhere although we were scrapping at the barrel at the time and there wasn't much to chose from.

Shaun Young is another obscure selection and he was competing with NSW bowler Shane Lee

McGain's and Beer's selections were because Australia wanted a spinner and didn't have one.

There was no Kasprowicz level spin bowler dropped for McGain or Beer. And Lee was never a great fast bowler. He was a very fast bowler. If you were a shit batsman, his speed got you out, and if you were a class batsman, you licked your lips at using Lee's pace to cart him around the park for endless boundaries.

Comparing Lee vs Kasprowicz to the selections McGain and Beer would be like comparing apples and oranges. Except that doesn't really do it justice. You're basically trying to compare Apples to Suspension Bridges.

Lee wasn't even on the tour when Young was picked and Young was playing County cricket- Young was a good player for Tasmania for a long time.

You're continued naming of spinners doesn't prove your point- They tried everyone that did well in a A game or had a good Shield season.

The selectors change all the time and have again recently so you can't speak for the bias of wide range of different people over many years.

Someone is just jealous off all the talent NSW produces that goes spreads around the rest of the country. Cmon mate Kaspa was good but do you seriously believe he was better than the great Brett Lee :laugh:

As with David Hookes, yeah maybe back in the 70's playing for NSW was an advantage but I've never seen anything that would strongly suggest it in my time. Every state has had a lucky player, Queensland had Scott Muller who was picked over B.Lee FROM NSW, Bichel and Kaspa.

Can you still remember Bryce McGain and Michael Beer?

Lee wasn't a great- you can't be a great if you don't average less than 30. He was good.

Muller was the form Shield bowler for two years and replaced Gillespie.

To be fair. He was great at getting injured.

Active Now

• cento
  • Bucking Beads
  • broncos4life
  • Scorchie
  • pennywisealfie
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Astro
  • sooticus
  • Porthoz
  • Broncorob
  • Allo
  • Stix
  • Foordy
  • Wolfie
  • Broncosgirl
  • Lurker
  • lynx000
  • mrtij
  • kman
  • Waynesaurus
... and 11 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.