NSW Team - Game III

Discussion in 'State of Origin 2016' started by Unbreakable, Jun 22, 2016.

What can NSW even do?

It's not like they picked an old / boring team, Gallen, G.Bird & Farah should all go, Walker is an awful selection as well. If I'm a NSW selector I'm cleaning house for Game 3, their core group of senior players have had far too many chances. Fifita has had 1 good game and he's still an automatic selection for some reason.

1. Moylan
    2. Tedesco
    3. Jennings
    4. Ferguson
    5. Mansour
    6. Maloney
    7. A.Reynolds
    8. Woods (c)
    9. Peats
    10. Tamou
    11. Graham
    12. Frizell
    13. Jackson

14. J.Bird
    15. Cartwright
    16. Klemmer
    17. Campbell-Gillard

Tags:
  1. Sproj

Sproj

Re: Game 2 - QLD vs NSW

All NSW's woes centre on the 7. I'd be inclined to go Moylan-Maloney simply because nsw has no halfback putting their hand up. The problem with that though is you have two fairly similar halves and no one to take on the kicking. Given that was Reynolds was bought in for and failed, it's a huge issue. The fact is, Tedesco needs to be in that side...but so does Moylan. So...in comes Coote who does have a good kicking game.

If I were NSW, I'd be doing this with a this is our future direction attitude:

1. Tedesco (He is the best weapon they've got and they need to pick him)
    2. Mansour (He is such a gun)
    3. Walker (Switch him left as he might not go so bad against Nielsen and it's time to move past Jennings)
    4. Bird (He is already their best centre option and how promising he looked tonight)
    5. Moylan (This way you can have him and Tedesco interchanging at the back)
    6. Coote (At least he can kick and has big game experience)
    7. Maloney (The only decent half NSW have)
    8. Woods (He is captain next year)
    9. Peats (Move on from Farah, it needs to happen)
    10. Tamou (No idea what happened to him tonight but he is usually very good)
    11. Frizzell (Was a star tonight and offers whatever Jackson does but more)
    12. Graham (He has a spark about him and just might create opportunities for the. That the halves can't)
    13. Gallen (He's captain, so he has to be picked for one more)

14. Cartwright (He is screaming out to be the utility/x-factor player)
    15. Klemmer (He just isn't that good yet, overhyped but still young enough to get there)
    16. Bird (He's probably got one more series in him)
    17. James (Here is the bolter and he deserves it. Fifita is such a waste of space at this level. NSW have two of them in TRex as well. James may just have well become the consistent wrecking ball the other two aren't)

But hey, I don't want nsw to win, so I'm glad they won't pick that side because they are too conservative.

2. Clintos

Clintos NRL Captain

My NSW side for game 3.

1. Tedesco
    2. Trbojevic
    3. Ferguson
    4. Leilua
    5. Mansour
    6. Moylan
    7. Maloney
    8. Woods
    9. Peats
    10. James
    11. Frizzell
    12. Graham
    13. Gallen (last game)

14. Jack Bird
    15. Trbojevic
    16. Fifita
    17. Cartwright

Porthoz likes this.

That team would be fun to watch.

That team would also make 14 errors, give away 18 penalties and miss 164 tackles.

3. Apparently Adam Reynolds shoulder injury may not be as bad as originally thought, potentially only out 1-3 weeks.

4. Hail Sezer.....

5. Dash

Dash NRL Player

Brisbane
    1. Tedesco
    2. Trbojevic
    3. Ferguson
    4. Leilua
    5. Mansour
    6. Maloney
    7. Bird
    8. Gallen
    9. Peats
    10. Woods
    11. Frizell
    12. Graham
    13. Jackson
    14. Moylan
    15. James
    16. Klemmer
    17. Cartwright

Gallen survives purely to provide the young side with a leader and for a farewell match. Bird could go to centre in place of Leilua if a decent half option is available (or if Reynolds' injury isn't that bad)

6. I'm not sure what the deal is with people projecting Bird as a halves partner for Maloney, he doesn't even play there for the Sharks, they aren't going to win games by selecting players completely out of position, regardless of how good they may be.

I also don't agree with all this Leilua love, as [MENTION=1899]Big Pete[/MENTION] has said many a time, sure he's a good runner of the ball, busts a lot of tackles, may create opportunities, but is the trade-off really worth it? Especially at origin level where the defence takes it up another notch, the over under on his errors and penalties combined in an origin game would have to be 4 of 5, not to mention the missed tackles guarding Inglis.

I think Laurie will play it safe, he'll probably blood 3 rookies I believe, judging by his interview on NRL 360 tonight. My guess would be Cartwright, Graham & Tedesco will all debut, but that'll probably be it, although he may opt to cut ties with Farah sooner rather than later, which probably means Peats gets in his 17 by default.

7. Dash

Dash NRL Player

Brisbane
    Bird at half, for me at least, is because there is nobody else. He played all of last year in the halves, so it's not like he's never played there before. The other option being thrown around is Moylan, which leads to the exact same problem - he's not a half either. I'm struggling to think of another NSW half who has a claim to the jersey. Surely they don't bring back Pearce.

8. Moylan was a half before he became a fullback.

9. jamesqld

jamesqld BRL Player

1. Moylan
    2. Tedesco
    3. Fergusson
    4. Bird
    5. Mansour
    6. Maloney
    7. Renolds or Sezer
    8. Woods
    9. Ennis
    10. Tamou
    11. Frizell
    12. Graham
    13. Jackson

14. Peats
    15. Klemmer
    16. James or Trbojevic
    17. Cartwright

10. mitch222

mitch222 State of Origin Rep

If they were serious and not picking on loyalty

1. James Tedesco
    2. Josh Mansour
    3. Jack Bird
    4. Joey Leilua
    5. Blake Ferguson
    6. Matt Moylan
    7. James Maloney
    8. Aaron Woods
    9. Nathan Peats
    10. Ryan James
    11. Tyson Frizell
    12. Boyd Cordner
    13. Josh Jackson

14. Bryce Cartwright
    15. David Klemmer
    16. Jake Trbojevic
    17. Wade Graham

Foordy likes this.
  11. Battler

Battler NRL Captain

1. Tedesco
    2. Roberts
    3. Dugan
    4. Ferguson
    5. Mansour
    6. J. Reynolds
    7. Maloney (I legit can't think of a 'proper' HB that deserves to play, so J Renolds in)
    8. Woods (this series has proven how overrated he is though)
    9. Ennis (Peats next in line)
    10. Gallen
    11. Frizell
    12. Cartwright
    13. Merrin/ Jackson (both are average, but Merrin has more upside)

14. J. Bird (Peachey next in line), 15. Tamou, 16. Klemmer, 17. Reagan Campbell-Gillard/ that grub prop from Souths.

EDIT: Props are NSW's strength, so I've gone with three on the bench. J. Bird can cover the second row if necessary.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
  12. Broncoman

Broncoman State of Origin Rep

The series has been very close despite that the Maroons have wrapped it up, both games could've easily gone either way so I don't think there should be mass changes to the team.

@Battler; You do remember Ennis never had a good performance at Origin level so he is marked never to play again.

13. Sproj

Sproj

I agree mostly but there is just some deadwood that needs to be cleaned out at present, namely: Fergusen, Jennings, Walker, Jackson, G.Bird, Gallen, Fifita.

Moving ahead, NSW should look at this as a team to build around:

1. Tedesco
    2. Mansour
    3. Bird
    (Toblaroneobric)
    6. Moylan
    7. (Maloney)
    8. Woods
    11. Cordner
    12. Graham
    13. Frizell

14. Cartwright
    15. Doubletobleroneabric

I would have Klemmer in there but do feel he could learn from being dropped and come back more urgent and stronger. I also think Moylan should be one of the halves and build around him.

I'd also be really tailoring a progression plan for the talented youngsters NSW has. Regardless though, NSW need to find or quickly develop just one dominant half. Where are they? Qld could field three or four arguably better halves pairings than NSW. They need a Milford but I don't know where he is.

14. Broncoman

Broncoman State of Origin Rep

Mitchell Moses is an absolute gun who I think could be a future rep player, really has taken his game further this year and has taken his responsibilities to the next level.

Disagree 100% about Jackson being dead wood. He is quality workhorse who is doing his job quite well in the team. Racked up 45 tackles on Wednesday night.

Huge likes this.
  15. Sproj

Sproj

Sure and offered zero in attack and threw the ball over the sideline to the guy in row three. If all fit, he doesn't get a look in ahead of Cordner, Graham, Frizell. And since it would ultimately come down to Jackson v Frizell, as the other two were already there, see you later Josh. Frizell is a gun and was stunning on debut, showed all the hallmarks of an origin type player. Jackson shows all the hallmarks of a slightly better than average club backrower.

16. Sproj

Sproj

Moses and Brooks are both promising and showing signs which is good for origin overall. That said they are of a similar age to Milford-Taylor (that's not including all the other Qld options), they are both seemingly well behind in that battle already. Brooks has stagnated sadly by I too rate Moses.

17. Foordy

Foordy

which means NSW selectors will largely ignore him from now on.

:takdir:

Sproj likes this.
    I agree with you Bman, now is not the time to make wholesale changes.

That should be saved for next season when they have a fresh start and an opportunity to decide a series. If you gut the side now, you run the risk of fracturing the side and support staff.

That doesn't mean you just run out with the same 17, but you've got to be selective about which players you're going to blood.

Here's the side I'd go with...

1. Matt Moylan
    2. Josh Mansour
    3. Josh Morris
    4. Josh Dugan
    5. James Tedesco
    6. James Maloney
    7. Jack Bird
    8. Aaron Woods
    9. Robbie Farah
    10. David Klemmer
    11. Tyson Frizell
    12. Josh Jackson
    13. Paul Gallen

14. Bryce Cartwright
    15. Andrew Fifita
    16. Ryan James
    17. Wade Graham

18. Tom Trbojevic
    19. Junior Paulo

Get a load of that centre pairing. I've been critical of both, but with Bird in the halves and Jennings in poor touch I've been left with little choice. As a compromise, I've thrown Tedesco onto the wing. My rationale is that he can't be any worse than Ferguson and I believe he's a long term Blues player. However, without a proper half, Moylan's kicking game and ball-playing ability is much more valuable. On top of that, he had a much better game in Game II, so I'd be looking to build on that and giving him an opportunity to build a case for himself. You never know 1. Moylan 5. Tedesco could work next year.

I want either Fifita or Klemmer in the run on pack. If the Blues are a chance, they need somebody with a bit of passion who isn't afraid to get fired up and bend the rules a bit. I've gone with Klemmer because I see him as a long term option and the guy is **** mental. I'd give him that added responsibility to help motivate the pack around him.

I thought Woods, Frizell and Jackson were among the Blues best so they retain their spots. As much as I feel compelled to bag him out, Farah has been among the Blues best this series and looks a different player than the one we're used to seeing at Wests. I've had my say about Gal, but he's still one of the top forwards in the competition and I think he deserves a home-town farewell.

I haven't been as kind to Greg Bird or James Tamou. I've given them the flick and filled the bench with a couple of new faces who have been in good touch as of late. Wade Graham would have played in Game II, so I'm sure he's just chomping at the bit to get his first taste of Origin. While Ryan James is somebody who's been involved with these camps before he even deserved to be. The Blues always saw something in him and now that he's among one of the best props in the game, he deserves a look in. With Reynolds out, it's time to graduate Cartwright and inject him into the game at around the 30th minute.

Who am I missing? Who is the elephant in the room? Ohhh Jack Bird. What can I say? He took to the role in Game IIand almost gave NSW one last sniff late in the contest. He's a footy player, has the right instincts and isn't afraid of anyone or to back himself. That's the type of player I want leading the team around. I think it's important to pick players who are going to be involved with the squad long term and I just don't see that in a Aidan Sezer, Mitchell Moses or if Laurie had his way Trent Hodkinson. Stick with this spine and let's see what they can conjure up in Game III.