NSW Team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mullen has an excellent defensive game. He pulled of a beauty on a charging Fui Fui on the line yesterday, that was a cracker.

I actually think halves are the least of our worries. Any combination of Soward, Pearce, Mullen, Wallace, Maloney, and Carney would be near as good as any other combination. What worries me is the lack of front rowers putting their hands up. Origin games call for hard-running props, and I'm not seeing enough of them in club games at the moment. We won our game on the back of Gallen's performance last year; he can't win us the entire series on his own.

I'll be over the moon if NSW are stupid enough to pick Mullen. He is ****en ****.

I haven't been able to watch all teams play this season, but based on what I have seen, I'd go with something along these lines.

1. Dugan
2. Hayne
3. Jennings
4. Lawrence
5. Uate
6. Maloney/Carney
7. Wallace/Mullen
8. Gallen
9. Buderus
10. Snowden
11. Watmough
12. Mateo
13. Lewis

14. Merrin
15. Learoyd-Lahrs
16. Mannah
17. Houston

I'd prefer Michael Gordon over Hayne; when he plays on the wing Jarryd has a tendency to hide and wait for the ball to come to him. Given his strength and size I'd like to see him play like Uate and occasionally take some of the sh*t runs up the guts.

The way Hodges destroyed Lawrence in the first half of the Broncs/Tiggers could be a sign if he is picked in the NSW side. Of course Hodges similarly destroyed Jorris the last time he played for NSW.

Josh Morris has only played against Justin Hodges once in origin. Hodges didn't play in game 2 2009. Hodges was back for the third and Morris outplayed him.

I wouldn't pick either Carney or Mullen at halfback, both of their good form started once the shifted to 5/8

IMO Hodges is the best centre in the game. He will make pretty much anyone NSW pick look average.

Ari

How come keeping Soward would be damaging. He has one of the comps best kicking games and his defense had improved considerably.

Because he is too limited. He has a great boot but to use it he needs to be 10 meters behind the line. Watch Campese or Maloney or Mullen kick - they can all take the ball to the line and then kick it, putting everyone onside and creating pressure with defense.

Soward kicks and puts everyone offside - that's 10m before you can tackle Slater or Inglis or Boyd and less meters the forwards have to get back by. Those things are key in Origin.

Also, Soward doesn't take on the line that often and never really seems willing to take the chance unless the gap is really big. Soward is a good kicker and passer which in a structured club team works fine, but IMO he is too limited to succeed at Origin.

Soward is too much like Pearce, and Pearce is pretty much a certainty to be picked.

This is why I want Todd Carney and Jamie Soward in the NSW halves this year

Todd Carney. Has been leading the Sharks superbly along with champion forward Paul Gallen. Been adding flair and injecting spark into a starless backline. He is a genuine match winner and would provide the X factor to NSW as he has been with Cronulla. Also got the better of Jonathen Thurston.

Jamie Soward. Would be unfair to drop him after 1 series as he was blameless for the result. His defense has improved significantly and in my opinion has one of the best kicking and passing games in the comp.

This is why I want Todd Carney and Jamie Soward in the NSW halves this year

Todd Carney. Has been leading the Sharks superbly along with champion forward Paul Gallen. Been adding flair and injecting spark into a starless backline. He is a genuine match winner and would provide the X factor to NSW as he has been with Cronulla. Also got the better of Jonathen Thurston.

Jamie Soward. Would be unfair to drop him after 1 series as he was blameless for the result. His defense has improved significantly and in my opinion has one of the best kicking and passing games in the comp.

Carney's good form started when he shifted to 5/8 same with Mullen. you guys need a player at halfback that has been playing well at halfback. IMO the only NSW halfback that has been playing consistently well at halfback is Peter Wallace. selecting a 5/8 to play halfback (whether its Carney, Mullen or Soward) is a bad idea ... but i suppose bad ideas and bad selections are what NSW do best these days

Foordy

Who do you think the halves should be?.

Wallace and Carney ... Wallace will gove you guys good direction around the park, while Carneys the x-factor. I think they will compliment each other well

Check out the article on the Roar saying that both NSW and QLD are stronger than last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.