Oates tells Bennett he wants to play in the forwards

Let him play Second Row. If it doesn’t work, he signs a five year contract on the wing and never complains again

Now that's something to aspire to :lostit:
Haha I never said he should aspire to be like Carlaw. I said he could be used like he was early in his career, a big body out wide with a bit of pace, off the bench for impact. Carlaw I felt always played better out wide and was a poor middle forward. I don't see oats as a starting 2nd row at this time. Just my two cents.

I find it slightly peoples reactions on the subject of players picking the positions they play amusing:

when it is a player we love/are scared to lose ... the reaction tends to be "let him play where he want"

when it is a player we don't like/ aren't concerned whether they leave ... the reaction is "**** him, he plays where he is needed or he can **** off"

these reactions to similar circumstance dependent on the player are something we would slam opposition fans for!

I find it slightly peoples reactions on the subject of players picking the positions they play amusing:

when it is a player we love/are scared to lose ... the reaction tends to be "let him play where he want"

when it is a player we don't like/ aren't concerned whether they leave ... the reaction is "**** him, he plays where he is needed or he can **** off"

these reactions to similar circumstance dependent on the player are something we would slam opposition fans for!

Ok.......

But at the end of the day - its a team sport, and whats best for the team is it. The minute a coach buckles for a single player is the minute standards drop. Lucky the soft crowd here aren't coaching the team!

Ok.......

But at the end of the day - its a team sport, and whats best for the team is it. The minute a coach buckles for a single player is the minute standards drop. Lucky the soft crowd here aren't coaching the team!
I think its fine oates has ambitions to play in the forwards and that he has expressed that. The problem comes when its a condition of his commitment to the team. So far we haven't seen a lack of it. If he leaves to further such ambitions I would consider it foolish, but respect his right to do so. Its their lives and carreers and they have a right to choose their way.
But saying that, Bennet is coach and master of all things football at the broncos. If his decision to play him proves shortsighted, he will bear that outcome along with the teams successes or failures.

If he does not get his way and spits the dummy thats something else all together. Expressing a wish to prove yourself in another position is another. If he feels he could do more for the team at 2nd row, give him a shot to prove it. There is no point saying no without giving someone a chance to prove your doubts wrong. If the player blows it he must take the outcome on the chin.

If he does not get his way and spits the dummy thats something else all together. Expressing a wish to prove yourself in another position is another. If he feels he could do more for the team at 2nd row, give him a shot to prove it. There is no point saying no without giving someone a chance to prove your doubts wrong. If the player blows it he must take the outcome on the chin.

Judging from Oates’ direct comments, he won’t be copping it on the chin. If he doesn’t succeed for us in the 2nd row he’s not going back to the wing. I guess that means find a club willing to accommodate him and his positional aspirations.

Judging from Oates’ direct comments, he won’t be copping it on the chin. If he doesn’t succeed for us in the 2nd row he’s not going back to the wing. I guess that means find a club willing to accommodate him and his positional aspirations.
I have no problem with him doing so...at the end of his contract. If he feels he can't reach his potential as a winger, at contract negotiation, that's the time to seek redress.
Bennet might have released him if he wasn't a 1st grader, upon his request, but he is. He's good on the wing, but I havent seen him pass with any authority and don't expect to. He shows no creativity, runs out of gas after a big workload, and seems to have improved neither since his debut.
Why would Bennet move him when others play regularly in that role on the fringes of 1st grade

I might sound like a wolve, but he appears to have a sooky personality - and shows this during games also! No time in the second row for having a sook because his mum or sister geed him up before the game about some minor issue...circa 2015.

His future is known by everyone to lie in the backrow and forward pack. He's sick of delaying the inevitable. He wants to start his transition while he's young and able.

This isn't Josh Hoffman wanting to play fullback.

His future is known by everyone to lie in the backrow and forward pack. He's sick of delaying the inevitable. He wants to start his transition while he's young and able.

This isn't Josh Hoffman wanting to play fullback.
I agree. And he only signed a 1 year extension because of this. I suppose his way of thinking might be that it isn't his fault we don't have any decent wingers. Wayne might have said a year ago that he had 1 more season on the wing and then he can go into the forwards?
As good as he is on the wing he does have his deficiencies, he always looks dodgy under the high ball, he can't bend down to balls at his feet and he has the turning circle of the queen mary. He is a try scoring machine but I think he has a big future in the forwards and wish we had better wingers in the pipeline to be able to give him a shot at it.

Let him play Second Row. If it doesn’t work, he signs a five year contract on the wing and never complains again
Signing that walking bag of bones to a five year contract is something no club is silly enough to do, let alone the Broncos. He has three years max left in his career, his body will eventually break down.

Signing that walking bag of bones to a five year contract is something no club is silly enough to do, let alone the Broncos. He has three years max left in his career, his body will eventually break down.

That’s harsh Oates hasn’t even had that bad of run with injuries.

That’s harsh Oates hasn’t even had that bad of run with injuries.
He has had surgical repair on at least twenty occasions. Both his knees are stuffed, has a bung shoulder and a crook back. Not to mention a staph infection which very nearly killed him. The fact that he is still playing just shows how tough the kid is. But this guy isn't going to have a long career. It could end at any second.

He isn't going to be playing into this 30's and will very likely be forced into retirement around his late 20's.

All of those surgeries are going to take their toll eventually.

Well if thats the case let him go out his way. Running lines out on the fringe. Bulk him up and maybe he could go into prop. Petro had bad knees and he was like 35 plus when he hung up the boots.

Unread

Active Now

• Old Mate
  • Foordy
  • Broncosgirl
  • Broncorob
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.