Official - Gillett and Jack Reed re-sign

Re: Gillett and Jack Reed re-sign

really? one plays for england, the other plays for qld and possibly australia. $330K a year is a BARGAIN! lussick is on $450k, and Daniel Harrison on $300k at the eels.
and both were 2 of the worst players in the competition for most of 2012.

playing for england isnt really a big deal, he was selected after his debut year - theyll take any NRL player that can play for them.
yes gillett plays origin, but he was ridiculously out of his depth in it and was a huge liability.

and just because some other team pays too much for someone doesnt mean us overpaying someone is a bargain. just because thurston gets a million it doesnt mean wallace for $500k is a bargain.

btw i posted like 2 weeks ago that they offered reed 250k a season, with a link backing it up, so his $250k a year is no surprise.

This is great news. I knew before opening the thread that tkday and AP would have something negative to say, but everyone can have their opinion.

If you look at these signings in any sort of perspective we have got them for a steal. They are only going to get better and clubs would have snapped them up, especially gillett.
ill say something negative because i think its too much money for what those players have shown/produced.

"they are only going to get better"......where have i heard that before. oh i know, when we signed wallace for $250k+. then again for $300k. then again for $350k+. still waiting on that "getting better". still waiting on it for reed and gillett too. reeds in his 3rd year, gillett in his 4th. cant wait too much longer and pay too much more money for them to get better.

Last edited:

and both were 2 of the worst players in the competition for most of 2012.

Firstly, an exaggeration. They were poor, yes, but 2 of the worst? Overstatement.
Secondly, that's 2012. So far both have been much improved this year.
Thirdly, 2011 they were both outstanding, and Gillett was great in his debut year in 2010 too.
And finally, $250K a year for Reed is hardly overs, considering some other clubs are paying near-rookies more than that!

Your negativity was expected, but I think it's misplaced in this case.

250k per year for reed is perfectly fine with the cap going up to 7 mil.

honestly other clubs would of paid more for him as silly as it sounds.

250k per year for reed is perfectly fine with the cap going up to 7 mil.

honestly other clubs would of paid more for him as silly as it sounds.

No doubt. Cronulla for one. Desperate for decent centres...they pay Pomeroy more than $250K FFS...

lol i know who i'd choose out of those two :D

the salary cap for 2014 is $6.3mil.

Jack Reed is getting pretty much spot on 1/25th of that. there are 25 players to pay with the Salary Cap. when you look at it like that i guess its good value.

the problem is that players like Thurston can demand 5/25ths of the cap. that money has to come from other players' 1/25th.

again - i dont care what other clubs are paying players. i care what we are paying players.

Last edited:

I'm good with the Gillett signing, I think hes good on his day and just needs to get rid of some of the stupid shit from his game and he will be a star.

the salary cap for 2014 is $6.mil.

Jack Reed is getting pretty much spot on 1/25th of that. there are 25 players to pay with the Salary Cap. when you look at it like that i guess its good value.

the problem is that players like Thurston can demand 5/25ths of the cap. that money has to come from other players' 1/25th.

again - i dont care what other clubs are paying players. i care what we are paying players.

Not caring about what other clubs are paying players is ignoring the market, therefore not being able to truly evaluate what we're paying our players.

That a hack like Pomeroy can attract over $250K more than vindicates Reed getting an average $250K per year.

The benefit the Broncos have is they DON'T Have a player that's a 5/25ths quality player like Thurston. Meaning that unlike the Cowboys, the Broncos don't end up with an Ash Graham as our highest profile outside back... (OK, Brent Tate probably eclipses him...)

playing for england isnt really a big deal, he was selected after his debut year - theyll take any NRL player that can play for them.
yes gillett plays origin, but he was ridiculously out of his depth in it and was a huge liability.
A rep player is a rep player, doesn't matter how long ago they played or how bad they were, they're still rep players.

Not caring about what other clubs are paying players is ignoring the market, therefore not being able to truly evaluate what we're paying our players.
The benefit the Broncos have is they DON'T Have a player that's a 5/25ths quality player like Thurston. Meaning that unlike the Cowboys, the Broncos don't end up with an Ash Graham as our highest profile outside back... (OK, Brent Tate probably eclipses him...)
parramatta are paying norman $450k a season, does that mean we should pay wallace $450k+?

yeh we dont have a player thats a 5/25ths like thurston - but we're not going to be able to get one if we pay every player 1/25th or more. who do we have in our top 17 that should be earning less than reed? lui/hala etc? with our history of overpaying i would assume theyre also on $150k+. it doesnt leave much money at all to get the 1-2 big names we NEED to be a title contender.

I'm out. I've explained it. Nothing will change your view that Broncos pay ridiculous money to useless players.

the salary cap for 2014 is $6.3mil.

Yes AP, but if clubs ran with your ideals and expectations they would have no players

A rep player is a rep player, doesn't matter how long ago they played or how bad they were, they're still rep players.

It really depends on what suits your argument at the time I think

I'm out. I've explained it. Nothing will change your view that Broncos pay ridiculous money to useless players.
incorrect - paying our players what theyre worth will change my view.

theres seeing what theyre worth on the market, then theres paying what you think they deserve. if one team thinks norman is worth $450k it doesnt mean we should think hes worth $450k. if we pay what they could get at other teams then we end up with a team like we have, well, now. no superstars, no game breakers, just overpaid average players.

Yes AP, but if clubs ran with your ideals and expectations they would have no players
no, theyd have players who are actually good at football, not just good blokes. we'd have dugan next year, we'd have wallace gone and hunt in the halves, hell we'd probably have thurston, cronk or smith at the team too. staying with 'home grown' players has been a huge part of our downfall. id have no such policy.

It really depends on what suits your argument at the time I think
like last time someone tried using that against me, im not arguing against it. they ARE rep players, and should be better than non-rep players. doesnt mean they should be paid more than theyre worth. playing for england is different to playing origin/australia, hugely different. same way playing for NZ is nowhere near as important on a player skill level, as theyll choose any NRL player whos played more than 1 nrl game who has made a linebreak or 2 in a game.

Last edited:

Stoked that Gillett is staying, still has a lot of improvement in his game and could be one of our best in the coming years.

If Reed doesn't suddenly forget how to pass again, then I'm happy with us signing him. When you think about it, there aren't a lot of centres in the NRL who defend well and work for their winger. We need someone like that.

Really glad to see we've re-signed both these players. I next hope to see the re-signing of Hunt.

Active Now

• john1420
  • Stix
  • Old Mate
  • Fitzy
  • mrslong
  • Porthoz
  • Brocko
  • johnny plath
  • Financeguy
  • mystico
  • ivanhungryjak
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.