Official - Gillett and Jack Reed re-sign

Re: Gillett and Jack Reed re-sign

It's funny how people are forgetting that with the salary cap increase, the minimum wages across the board go up. $200,000 isn't a massive salary anymore.

I just keep recalling how good Reed was when he got lots of early ball, back when Lockyer was there.

Lately it seems his better play has been a result of Prince getting the ball wide early again.

So as long as we have a decent halfback that sends the pill wide early, Reed should go well.

Yeh I know. Going close to beating the premiers, and smashing the titans. Being a bronco fan sucks right now...

This did make me smile. I get your point, but still so many people we talking worse than that before we played the Storm, and that's what... only two games ago? I'm not ready to get back on the everything is fine bandwagon. I'm hopeful though and relieved we've played much better the last two games.

We rarely agree but yes...oh.my.god

Reed plays the first half decent game he's played in ages and Andrew Gee comes gushing at him with pen and paper ready for him to sign.

Gee's performance here smacks of the same stench as Wallace's re-signing last year.

Bad management......poor vision .......has NFI !!!

In fairness to Reed he was busted for a large part of last year and his first good games coincided with a more open attacking game plan.
He could do with a bit of extra pace and he seems to have lost that bit of greedy play he developed in his second year but he can put his winger away.

This did make me smile. I get your point, but still so many people we talking worse than that before we played the Storm, and that's what... only two games ago? I'm not ready to get back on the everything is fine bandwagon. I'm hopeful though and relieved we've played much better the last two games.

Not many people were more down on this team than me after the Roosters game. Given our horrible capitulation in round 1, and while round 2 was a strong scrambling effort against a crap Dragons team, it didn't exactly inspire confidence.

The last 2 weeks have been a breath of fresh air and I'm willing to put faith in this team to continue that form.

Cowboys by 10. LOL

In fairness to Reed he was busted for a large part of last year and his first good games coincided with a more open attacking game plan.
He could do with a bit of extra pace and he seems to have lost that bit of greedy play he developed in his second year but he can put his winger away.

This. I think people underestimate how bad his shoulder was last year. Combine offseason surgery, lack of training, 1 trial game, and then 3 really crap attacking performances from the team and it's any wonder Reed wasn't particularly good in the opening rounds.

As you say, as soon as we opened things up against Storm and Titans he found form. That's not a coincidence.

I still would not have signed Reed for 4 years, that's a long time.

I still would not have signed Reed for 4 years, that's a long time.

We signed Brad Meyers for 4 years.
He was gone in 2.

Both rangas.

Coincidence?

We love a long term ranga

We love a long term ranga

Yes, yes we do. And yet there's still one whose long-term mediocrity we have yet to punish like we did Meyers and Michaels...

Hmmm, now let me think... who could it be?

Not caring about what other clubs are paying players is ignoring the market, therefore not being able to truly evaluate what we're paying our players.

That a hack like Pomeroy can attract over $250K more than vindicates Reed getting an average $250K per year.

The benefit the Broncos have is they DON'T Have a player that's a 5/25ths quality player like Thurston. Meaning that unlike the Cowboys, the Broncos don't end up with an Ash Graham as our highest profile outside back... (OK, Brent Tate probably eclipses him...)

i like faifai loa, great finisher !

The bronco mascot? He's got read hair right?

paying our players what theyre worth will change my view.

With the exception of maybe 1 or 2 players, I don't think the broncos are really over paying their players. What I think they have done at the moment is try and recruit or retain too many slightly above average or better players in most positions, without having enough money to lure an absolute star to the club - one of the top 5 players in our game.

The problem is, if you want one of the stars of the game, you have to lose out in other areas. It leaves you less money for the other players and positions, so you're bound to end up with some less quality players across the board. Although even if the Broncos took this approach of signing a Thurston, Cronk etc, I'm sure you'd still whinge about why they are persisting with nuffie X, Y or Z, much like you seem to do about them in the early-mid 2000s when they did have some genuine game breakers of the game chewing up a lot of their salary cap, but also had to accomodate players such as Scott Minto etc because of this.

It just depends which way you want to go though. If you assemble a well balanced team, I don't beleive you need a superstar of the game to be successful. The Broncos don't have an indivudal superstar at the moment, and I'm not sure the Broncos have that balance either, but that's probably a whole different argument.

I think the salary cap rorting by your beloved Meblourne Storm and Craig Bellamy have skewed your perception on just how hard it actually is to assemble a quality football team, year after year. You seem to think it's easy to have a team packed of stars without any nuffies, year after year. It's not, and I think the Broncos are currently going through a rebuilding phase, as many of todays successful, non-cheating, teams have done over the past 5-10 years.

I think as usual the Broncos will back themselves to unearth a star player in the coming years. From all reports they thought Norman was the man. He is gone now so who is next to come through the ranks.

I'm pretty new here ... as you can see from the number of posts ... but I've been a fanatical Broncos supporter from day 1 ... watched 'em train before a ball was kicked ... went to the friendlies ... watched that awesome first game against Manly ... but never joined a 'forum' till now.
I have to say that some of the negativity in here is numbing. To post such vitriolic attacks on a team that we all, supposedly, support to the max is mystifying to me. It not only attacks the player in question but it also insults the entire structure of the club. These players have mostly been nurtured by the Broncos since they were kids in an organisation that even Gus Gould finds impressive, so rubbishing the player in effect rubbishes the whole ethos and infrastructure of the club. We live in a so-called democracy and everyone is entitled to their view, I'm just confused as to why some people (thankfully a minority) put themselves through so much angst in the pursuit of something which is supposed to entertain them.

To the rest I say ... thanks for your insightful and well-considered comments.

I'm pretty new here ... as you can see from the number of posts ... but I've been a fanatical Broncos supporter from day 1 ... watched 'em train before a ball was kicked ... went to the friendlies ... watched that awesome first game against Manly ... but never joined a 'forum' till now.
I have to say that some of the negativity in here is numbing. To post such vitriolic attacks on a team that we all, supposedly, support to the max is mystifying to me. It not only attacks the player in question but it also insults the entire structure of the club. These players have mostly been nurtured by the Broncos since they were kids in an organisation that even Gus Gould finds impressive, so rubbishing the player in effect rubbishes the whole ethos and infrastructure of the club. We live in a so-called democracy and everyone is entitled to their view, I'm just confused as to why some people (thankfully a minority) put themselves through so much angst in the pursuit of something which is supposed to entertain them.

To the rest I say ... thanks for your insightful and well-considered comments.

I think it's a little unfair to reject people who are bagging the Broncos at the moment, especially given most have also contributed just as well to the discussion as those who are praising the club.

You're going to get it everywhere. Sometimes people get angry and need to vent, this is the perfect place to do it. Some people don't agree with the current management at the club (myself included), and that's their opinion, and one that shouldn't be frowned upon, just because we support the Broncos.

We all want what is best for the club, and we all have an opinion. So long as members don't belittle each other, it makes good discussion when people disagree with each other.

Welcome to BroncosHQ by the way. Hope you enjoy the place as much as I do.

Welcome to BHQ Ozzball! Always nice to have more optimistic supporters on board :handshake:

Last edited:

Active Now

• ivanhungryjak
  • scobie
  • heartly87
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Astro
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.