Official - Gillett and Jack Reed re-sign

Re: Gillett and Jack Reed re-sign

One benefit of Reed is he doesn't go missing during origin, those pommies and kiwis are an advantage come origin time where we lose all our best players.

like last time someone tried using that against me, im not arguing against it. they ARE rep players, and should be better than non-rep players. doesnt mean they should be paid more than theyre worth. playing for england is different to playing origin/australia, hugely different. same way playing for NZ is nowhere near as important on a player skill level, as theyll choose any NRL player whos played more than 1 nrl game who has made a linebreak or 2 in a game.

Fair point. So I guess that would mean players like Nathan Fien, Jeremy Smith etc, even know they've played rep footy for NZ, are not really any better than australian born players who have only played NRL, in fact, they may actually be worse.

If Gillett gets anywhere near his 2010 form its a bargain, same with Reed's 2011.

As said before, half of that's dependent on coaching and hopefully the improvement in the team is indicative of Griffin adopting some new structures.

Last edited:

Fair point. So I guess that would mean players like Nathan Fien, Jeremy Smith etc, even know they've played rep footy for NZ, are not really any better than australian born players who have only played NRL, in fact, they may actually be worse.
yep, never said any different. they CAN be better than aus reps though - Benji for example, Jeremy Smith is better than a lot of formerAus Reps too IMO.

Great that the Broncos have had a recruitment win. No doubt the "Broncos brand" loyalty did play a part in these two particular signings.

Gillett and Reed are both late bloomers. Reed debuted at 23, Gillett 22.

Reed is a tough defensive centre and has showed plenty of glimpses of strong attacking form. He doesn't miss much and is slowly learning his role in attack at NRL level. Has been prone to so dumb mistakes this year, but I put that down to complacency or match fitness, both of which he seems to have improved on over the past 2 weeks.

They weren't darlings wrapped in cotton wool like Norman, Hunt or Gagai or anyone else in the Broncos system from 15. This is a good thing.

You don't need 25 individual superstars to win a premiership.

Yeah, they are both more than good enough. We could spend extra money on replacements, but I'd rather spend that money on a half. You could have a bunch of good attacking players and a bad half or a great half and solid players around them, and the result would be the same. Except option 2 is cheaper.

Glad we signed Gillett. He should go on to be one of the better players the Broncos have ever produced IMO. He has all the tools he just needs to be more consistent. Jack Reed is a quality player when on his game. Last year he had a shocker but at his best signing him for 4 years on a pretty cheap deal will prove to be handy.

This morning said it was a $2 million retention coup. Now they say it is a $3 million retention coup, both from the same paper (courier mail)

Very happy to see Matt Gillett stay, he has been a very good player for us and has a lot of potential but there is still room for improvement. Good to see Reed signed as well and for a reasonable price. I thought he was outstanding in 2011 but thought he suffered some second year syndrome last year but has been in good form so far this year.

This morning said it was a $2 million retention coup. Now they say it is a $3 million retention coup, both from the same paper (courier mail)

It is all a guessing game for the media. Hard to believe we've spent $3 million on Reed and Gillett though.

I'm with AP on one issue - Reed being a rep player isn't worth a damn when that rep honour is England. I don't think there's a single Englishman in the NRL who has played more than a dozen games who isn't an English international. It's not a worth a thing as far as I'm concerned.

As for keeping Reed, it's a decent price and not a bad move, but 4 years is too long for my liking. If he goes on to become a better player he'll be a great bargain but by the same token if he goes off the boil I'd hate to be stuck with him for 4 years.

Either way, we re-signed Gillett, which is simply awesome. I won't have to stop supporting the Broncos until at least 2016!

I think Reed signing is great, if he improves he's a bargain, if he doesn't it's only 250k which is shit all as far as % of salary cap goes.

I'm thrilled with Gillett, he's a huge talent and totally worth keeping. Two Broncos juniors locked up for a while. We only need to add a good half and or fullback and this team is set for a long time.

Jack Reed for 4 years??? oh god

We rarely agree but yes...oh.my.god

Reed plays the first half decent game he's played in ages and Andrew Gee comes gushing at him with pen and paper ready for him to sign.

If 300K is the sum being toted then yeah ....once again we are paying overs for average players. Reed's on 150K now.....he hasn't improved enough to warrant double the salary, in fact 150K is about right for what Reed's talent is worth.

Gee's performance here smacks of the same stench as Wallace's re-signing last year.

Bad management......poor vision .......has NFI !!!

If you really think this deal got put to him after, and as a result of the Titans game, or even the Storm game, you're deluded.

He's on 250k, not 300k.

Secondly with an increasing cap, 250k is more so an inflationary salary increase with a bit of a bonus to recognise he's now a regular first grader and not a reserve grade player.

If you really think this deal got put to him after, and as a result of the Titans game, or even the Storm game, you're deluded.
yeh it 100% wasnt, i posted the link on here at least 2 weeks ago about us already having an offer for $250k on the table for him, just being finalised.

I'm happy that we signed them, but I think it should've been for less money/less time. What happens if reed plays like he did last year and offers nothing? So many people were bagging Gillett and Reed last year, now they've had a couple of good games it's all ok. I'm not convinced, but I'm hoping they only improve from here on out. Yeah I'm pessimistic, but It's been hard not to be lately in regards to the Broncos.

Active Now

• Allo
  • ChewThePhatt
  • theshed
  • Brocko
  • Mr Fourex
  • Big Del
  • Harry Sack
  • Wolfie
  • Aldo
  • GCBRONCO
  • Sproj
  • Browny
  • the_next
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Alec
  • The Boss
  • Foordy
  • Santa
  • KateBroncos1812
  • BRC088
... and 13 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.