Official - Ivan Henjak Sacked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, there is definitely some sh@t going down then.

Broncos chairman Darryl Somerville has resigned in protest over the shock sacking of coach Ivan Henjak.

Somerville has let it be known that while he respects the decision of board and CEO Paul White he could not personally support it.

He offered to stay on as chairman until the next Annual General Meeting on April 20 but it was agreed to accept the resignation now.

Because the Broncos are a listed company the ASX has been informed.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/bro ... 6009971861

All this I am reading about "why didn't this happen 4 months ago?" IMO would be irrelevant. The Broncos would know better than to sack a coach 3 weeks before the start of the season just because his performance wasn't upto standard. There simply HAS to be a different explanation. To me, I would strongly assume that Ivan has done something to upset someone and is now paying the price. What or who that could be, who knows?

The 3 months "hush money" makes me even more confident of that.

Darren Lockyer has rejected claims a reported falling out with Ivan Henjak played a key part in Brisbane's decision to axe the coach yesterday.

Henjak vetoed Lockyer's plea to let him return from a bad rib injury to play against Canberra last September when Brisbane need to win to have a shot at making the NRL finals.

But Lockyer said the pair had not fallen out over their disagreement.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl ... 6009895321

Well he isn't going to admit to it.

When did the Broncos turn into the type of club I've always loved to hate?

Hopefully Henjack doesn't get pink eye from the sacking

Perhaps it's terrible timing for the sacking of IH, but maybe it's a blessing in disguise?
Only time will tell, but we as supporters, have to remain upbeat and positive and throw our support behind Griffin regardless of what we may think or feel.

Personally, I would of kept Ivan on for this entire season, no matter what happend, and if he did not get us to at least the Semi's, then he would of been shown the door.
It's that simple.
He needed a minimum of three years to get something happening with us.
But, unfortunately for him, he's gone now, and I agree that he must of done something behind closed doors that nobody knows and pissed someone off big time, the timing is just not right, something's fishy.

I prefer our CEO to keep all of this internal, us as supporters do not need to know what's happend, all we need to know is what football squad we have on a weekly basis to compete, and to see our team actually perform and be a threat in the NRL - that is all. Leave all the office politics to the people that run the club, us as fans cannot run it, but we put our trust & faith in our CEO and the Broncos board to get the job done.

Gah. I never thought I would see the day when our great club turned into a rabble off the field. The timing of Henjak's departure is amateur at best. Now to have a long standing board member resign in protest is certainly damning.

There is no doubting on field success fluctuates - swings and round-a-bouts - however, there is no excuse for substandard performance in the boardroom and front office. These are domains within our control.

I always viewed our club as immune from these distasteful and debilitating shortcomings. The moment individuals begin to pursue their own interests, be it aspirations, vendettas, whatever, at the expense of the club then there can only be one result.

Problems shouldn't be allowed to fester. The Henjak issue should have been dealt with at the conclusion to the 2010 season. Our success as a club has been built on a foundation of proactivity - making tough decisions and nipping potentially undermining issues in the bud.

Off field instability is insidious. The toxin of these poisonous dealings inevitably prove terminal to on field performance. This trend is rarely bucked.

I am bitterly disappointed with our off-field hierarchy.

I really don't have a problem with the timing of it tbh. I'd much rather have it happen now, then have half a season where he's under immense pressure and then gets the sack, by which time it is too late to save the season.

Although again, I don't think much will change results-wise this year; we are going to go better than last year imo.

Now he's been sacked it is a lot easier to go out and chase a Bennett or Bellamy than if he were clinging on from week to week during the season.

a great call from the most professional club in the league. i would must prefer this to be a consolidated approach from a professional football club regarding the approach ivan had towards the players rather than a coach being sacked primarly based on performance. i commend the broncos and i am proud to be a supporter. [eusa_clap.gi

I also think its better to happen now than during the season. Short of the Broncos winning the GF I think Henjak would have been given the flick at the end of the season anyway. This way Griffin knows he will probabaly only be there for a year and we can openly search for a new coach and not step on anyones toes.

Its not an ideal start to the season but we just have to get behind Griffin and see what he's capable of.

sorry but i disagree. This is the ideal start to the season. This will give the club a fresh approach and allow our youngsters to thrive.

Will we have another convenient coaching change at another high profile club in the coming days?
Is the jigsaw puzzle finally being put together?
eusa_think

The strange thing about all this is that the Broncos have left the door open to Henjak to take up a non-coaching role after he has a break - WTF is that about?

Coxy said:
The more I think about it the more it seems like 1 of 2 possibilities (and possibly a combination of both):

1. The review last year revealed key areas that Henjak had to address. Having gone through the preseason, whatever the KPIs for that were weren't achieved, and so rather than causing disruption throughout the season, punt him now.

2. Something drastic has happened in the last week, potentially even since Saturday's trial at Alice Springs. He's pissed someone off that's tipped this over the edge.
This ^^^^

From what I've heard and read, Henjak's evaluation at the end of the 2010 season was pretty damning for him, and the board, still headed by Cullen at the time, decided to give him a chance to improve on the KPI's where he was coming short.
The new board under Paul White reviewed the review after some recent major issue and measured the KPI's so far in the new season. I would assume that there was no improvement, maybe even retrogression, and the decision was made to cull Henjak before more damage was done... [icon_shru

One thing is almost certain from all reports... Whether or not there were major fallouts, Henjak did not have the respect of his players. As a leader of men, especially in a top organisation like the Broncos, his position became untenable.

Henjak’s sacking and the chairman’s resignation may be pointing to a cleanup of the ranks, or indeed prepare Benny’s return. If this is the case, I hope he returns as a footy director, to guide and support Griffin in the head coaching job, possibly easing Locky into the job if that’s their aim.

I don't like the timing either, but I am fully behind this decision!

Rumours that Griffin was being targetted by another NRL club...?

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/rug...ming-the-seat-for-bennett-20110221-1b2k0.html

But I think these words from Andrew Gee reinforce Coxy's view and mine:
"Personally, I totally support the direction of the club and endorse Anthony Griffin,'' Gee said. ''He's got the total respect of the players.
"The main consideration of my review was putting our club first and putting the future direction of our club first. I can sit here and honestly say that's what I've done. The board has had that report for some time. A decision has been made.

"Ivan was fully aware of what was in the review. He was shown the review. He knew totally what was involved in the whole review."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• ChewThePhatt
  • Jedhead
  • Organix
  • thenry
  • KateBroncos1812
  • bert_lifts
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.