[Official] Smith re-signs with the Storm

Anonymous person

Anonymous person

Banned User
Dec 16, 2008
lol comparing UFC to rugby league. now ive seen it all.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
The coach is the problem.

Two points in a sort of defence of Macca, when I for one also want him to be an 80 min hooker.

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't fitness, like most other human traits, a function of one's genetic configuration? Like, I can be built like a marathon runner, train my arse off, yet always run last apart from falling over half way? Or I can be go to gym, end up looking like Usain Bolt, and watch him cross the finish line as I get to the 10m mark?

Second, and setting aside the equally valid aspect of humanity that hookers are not created equal, they still have a certain something to cut it at NRL level.

That means to me (my hobby horse - Bronco of course) that the game plan is critical in determining how each individual plays, and in relationship to others in the team.

With the Broncos, it is our flat attacking structure ingrained over years of the same, slow play the balls, laziness, flabbiness, and poor or no structures which hinder our players from performing to their potential.

While individuals must be held to account for their effort and contributions, the coach is responsible for giving the players a place to be a part of something bigger than the individual - a team.

When Macca (or Hunt, or any play maker) gets the ball, they should have room and time to create the play, not have their runners in the same horizontal plane as them so they have nowhere to go but the grass seconds after they get the ball under a pile of defenders.

To me, this is a simple basic of football in any code: depth and of course, support play, which is a simple matter of repetition until it's second nature.

Last edited:
coreyh88

coreyh88

NRL Player
Sep 24, 2012
Let's see the consistent 80 minute hookers. 1.smith >30yrs 2.farah >30yrs 3. Luke >25 yrs (sometimes has peats)4. Ballin (no idea on age) 5. Ennis >25 6. N friend (no idea again) not even half the hookers play 80 bag him all you want for the other things (I don't think they're all his fault or justified) but don't bag him for not playing 80 we would gain nothing our benchies get five minutes. He has the highest work rate in defence. He's only 23 (youngest I'm that list). Granville was saying he was absolutely stuffed after 15 minutes.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Let's see the consistent 80 minute hookers. 1.smith >30yrs 2.farah >30yrs 3. Luke >25 yrs (sometimes has peats)4. Ballin (no idea on age) 5. Ennis >25 6. N friend (no idea again) not even half the hookers play 80 bag him all you want for the other things (I don't think they're all his fault or justified) but don't bag him for not playing 80 we would gain nothing our benchies get five minutes. He has the highest work rate in defence. He's only 23 (youngest I'm that list). Granville was saying he was absolutely stuffed after 15 minutes.

and I still maintain that Macca's high work rate is largely the fault of how we are coached to play

Anonymous person

Anonymous person

Banned User
Dec 16, 2008
You're forgetting that all those 80 minute oldies have played 80 minutes since they were in their very early 20s.

Splinter

Splinter

NRL Player
Feb 16, 2013
You're forgetting that all those 80 minute oldies have played 80 minutes since they were in their very early 20s.
One Cameron Smith has had both Nathan Friend and Hinchcliffe to replace him for rests until the last couple of years.
Ballin was rested in his younger years as was Isaac Luke.
You have an agenda and are making things up to suit your argument

Brett

Brett

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 27, 2013
So going by your logic, any NRL player under 30 years of age who plays 80 minutes is some sort of freak of nature. Seriously, the hole you are digging is getting deeper and deeper.

Long bow to draw, though I see your point. I could have worded what I said better.

Anonymous person

Anonymous person

Banned User
Dec 16, 2008
One Cameron Smith has had both Nathan Friend and Hinchcliffe to replace him for rests until the last couple of years.
Ballin was rested in his younger years as was Isaac Luke.
You have an agenda and are making things up to suit your argument
as far as i can remember, cameron smith didnt sit out 30 minutes of every game. he was their main goal kicker too for most of his career IIRC? dont really do that if youre on the bench for nearly half the match.

Splinter

Splinter

NRL Player
Feb 16, 2013
I did not say he sat out 30 minutes a game, I disagreed with you and said he did not play 80 minute games until after or about mid twenties

vertigo

vertigo

State of Origin Rep
Mar 2, 2010
Brisbane Broncos ready to throw $1 million at Test skipper Cameron Smith to bring him home | News.com.au

MELBOURNE face a major battle to retain Cameron Smith as the Broncos build a war chest capable of bringing the Queensland and Test skipper home to Brisbane.

Brisbane legend Steve Renouf has urged the club to pay a club-record $1 million a season to entice Smith into Bronco colours by 2015.

The Storm are facing salary cap pressures, with Smith headlining a number of several off-contract players next season, including Ryan Hoffman, Jesse Bromwich, Kevin Proctor and Tohu Harris.

Smith is the obvious priority, but Melbourne’s desire to retain the likes of Hoffman and their emerging stars will influence their ability to compete in a bidding war with NRL suitors.

That opens the door for the Broncos.

No NRL rival can formally approach Smith until November 1, but The Sunday Mail understands the Broncos have the funds to make a legitimate play for the jewel in Melbourne's crown.

The Broncos allowed rising prop Dunamis Lui to join Manly last week, clearing $150,000 under the salary cap.

Veteran halves Peter Wallace and Scott Prince will not be on Brisbane’s books next year, freeing up significant cap space.

Prop Ben Hannant faces a six-figure pay cut to secure a new deal with the Broncos in 2015.

With the NRL payment ceiling rising from $5.8 million this year to $6.55 million in 2015, including a $600,000 marquee player allowance, Brisbane are positioned to be serious players on the open market.

Smith has strong ties to Melbourne, but he exclusively told The Sunday Mail in June he would weigh up all offers as he prepares to sign the last contract of his illustrious career.

Renouf launched a stinging attack on Brisbane last week, saying the club’s heart had been ripped out, and says signing Smith would instantly transform the Broncos.

“If we can afford $1 million a season, why not pay that for Cam? He would be worth every cent," he said.

“Someone like Cam Smith is a guy the Broncos need and would benefit from.

“Having a leader like him around would be amazing, he is such a great player. He has shown all those qualities down there in Melbourne and they will be doing their darnedest to keep him.

“The Broncos need more leaders. Sam Thaiday and Cozza (Corey Parker) are there, but Cam Smith would be a great captain of the Broncos.

“He has star quality, the corporates would love him, he has a young family and he carries himself really professionally.

“He's exactly what the club needs."

Mindful of poaching threats, Storm football manager Frank Ponissi said the club would start talks with its off-contract players next month.

"All negotiations for all players for season 2015 will be held from October onwards, including Cameron Smith," Ponissi said.

"There are a number of guys we have off-contract, including Ryan Hoffman, Jesse Bromwich, Kevin Proctor and Tohu Harris.

"As soon as our finals commitments are over, we will try and get as much done. It will be a big month for all those players, not just Cameron."

Former Broncos and Storm chief executive John Ribot hopes Smith stays in Melbourne, but concedes the club faces a fight to retain him.

"I'm a bit torn there but Cam is a one-club man and has been great for the Storm," he said.

"It’s a tough one for them, but hopefully the Storm come up with the right package to keep him in Melbourne.

"If you are the Broncos or any club trying to put your club back on the map, Cam Smith is the best starting point.

"Cam has done so much for the place, so it would be a sad day if he left."

Smith, who turned 30 in June, said during this year’s Origin series he was weighing up a number of several factors.

"Throughout my whole career, I have stayed loyal to the Storm and I have never come off-contract at Melbourne," he said.

"I have always been tied up, but they understand I have a young family now.

"We'll have to work through it. It will be a lengthy thing ... I will weigh up other offers as well."

Anonymous person

Anonymous person

Banned User
Dec 16, 2008
Good that it looks like we're actually going to offer hannant a reduced contract. Now do that for about 15 of our other players in the top 25 and we might get somewhere.

coreyh88

coreyh88

NRL Player
Sep 24, 2012
31 according to the article. I honestly am starting to like Mecca minus Wallace. I think we'd gain more from cherry Evans.

jarro65

jarro65

State of Origin Rep
Jun 26, 2008
Put me down as being someone who thinks he'll be too old by the time he gets here.

As good a player as he is, i also think we need to secure a younger playmaker who can be with us for longer.

Active Now

• Strop
  • Sproj
  • Lozza
  • Santa
  • Socnorb
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Dash
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Locky24
  • Jedhead
  • BroncosAlways
  • Wolfie
  • PETERN
  • Hurrijo
  • Tim K
  • ell.d33
  • Johnny92
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.