[Official] Smith re-signs with the Storm

Mister Wright

Mister Wright

NRL Captain
Jun 8, 2009
It would make more sense if we're going to have Smith come here in 2015 to play him at 5/8, Hunt at half and McCullough stay at hooker. He could learn so much with Smith as Captain/Assistant Coach. Don't know how Milford and Barba fit into that situation. Maybe Milford as bench utility to take Smith's place in the halves when he retires. Just think. 1.Barba, 6. Smith, 7. Hunt, 9. McCullough, 14. Milford.

Mister Wright

Mister Wright

NRL Captain
Jun 8, 2009
Also, we've invested far too much in McCullough to see him go soar at another team under a great coach.

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008
I'm a 'Build for a dynasty' kind of guy, snagging just one isn't enough. I'd rather build towards back2back2back

You can't make a decent player from the juniors if those juniors don't have amazing talent around them.

Charmamba

Charmamba

Life is a Fantasy League
Jan 9, 2011
You can't make a decent player from the juniors if those juniors don't have amazing talent around them.

I agree, however it depends what cost it takes to get that amazing player. I'm all for the idea above where we have Barba/Milford and Smith as Milford/Barba would learn a boat load from Smith, I just wouldn't want to miss out on the future stars at the cost of a drop in star.

Broncs1459

Broncs1459

QCup Player
Aug 24, 2012
It would make more sense if we're going to have Smith come here in 2015 to play him at 5/8, Hunt at half and McCullough stay at hooker. He could learn so much with Smith as Captain/Assistant Coach. Don't know how Milford and Barba fit into that situation. Maybe Milford as bench utility to take Smith's place in the halves when he retires. Just think. 1.Barba, 6. Smith, 7. Hunt, 9. McCullough, 14. Milford.

Could try McCullough in the halves with hunt otherwise I would punt him IMO. Can you imagine the way Smith would be bringing Hannant, McGuire, Thaiday, Kennedy, Glenn and Gillet onto the ball week in week out. Would be epic. He is durable and I can't see him declining for a long time.

TheDrumBeat

TheDrumBeat

Contributor
Mar 16, 2013
He needs to start playing 80 minutes. If he can't handle it next year, he's not fit for first grade in that position.

The style of game he plays requires TWO gun halves outside him.. Take Matt Ballin for example.. tough as nails makes 1000 tackles a game and does need to worry about kicking or play making cause he has DCE, Foran and Lyon, where as hookers like Smithy play like a second halfback cause they really have not had a great 5/8 for years and he is a naturally blessed, hard working weapon of a player.... Macca needs to be like Smithy as much as he can until we have another half helping out Hunt.... Which is a massive ask but it is not beyond him.

And he needs to start Crossfit or something.... The fact he is outta puff after 30 mins is not good enough.

Mister Wright

Mister Wright

NRL Captain
Jun 8, 2009
Or maybe a different game plan for him. Give someone else his defensive workload. He must make at least 3 tackles a set. That's gotta take juice out of him. Get someone else to cover at least one of those tackles and he's going to be much fresher. I'm no coach, so not sure if it can be done. Do something to make him fresher in attack. It is clear when a slow defensive line like the Dragons or Eels, he carves up. When we have a slow play the ball and allow a good defensive team like the panthers limit his time he's not as effective.

Broncs1459

Broncs1459

QCup Player
Aug 24, 2012
I wouldn't punt Macca.

I only would if we got Smith (which will never happen). I like McCullough and he obviously has talent. I just think he has been talked up and overrated for many years now. He is a solid hooker but I doubt he is going to get near the levels of Smith, Luke, Farah etc. To win a premiership with McCullough at hooker we are going to have to be stacked with superstars in other positions. I would be delighted if he proved me wrong.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
Yep, Segeyaro showed the value of a good bench hooker. In fact, they've had both him and Kingston on the field at the same time, which I think is a strong move when one of them is a good dummy half runner.

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
I used to be in the "Why doesn't McCullough play 80 minutes!!" group, but now I realise that the impact hooker off the bench can cause some serious troubles for the opposition (See: Segeyaro), it just needs to be someone with some speed and flare, like Baptiste or Granville.

R

Raw Boned Youngster

QCup Player
Mar 9, 2008
maybe Milford, if he signs, may spend some time at dummy half at some stages and defend elsewhere.

coreyh88

coreyh88

NRL Player
Sep 24, 2012
Why would we want him playing 80 the impact off the bench eg segeyaro can be great. Not like we need the interchanges. We hardly use two frontrowers off the bench as is. Next year bench. 14 Granville/Baptiste 15. Kennedy/moose 16. Stagg\Glenn/thaiday 17. Stagg/Glenn/thaiday I think Stagg and Kennedy should start. Moose can come on at 25 or 30 minutes and not go off. Stagg can move into the front row with Glenn or thaiday moving onto the edge for hannant's break. I wouldn't actually mind parker getting a ten minute breather.

88to2006Glorydays

88to2006Glorydays

NYC Player
Jul 9, 2013
He needs to start playing 80 minutes. If he can't handle it next year, he's not fit for first grade in that position.
Yeah that would be great! We'd get 80 minutes of selfish and slow plays instead of only 50 minutes.
Macca has to go. He is the worst hooker in the game. He'd actually be ranked around 19 considering some teams have two hookers that are both better than Macca

Unread

Active Now

• Swordfish
  • Bucking Beads
  • johnny plath
  • Manofoneway
  • ChewThePhatt
  • RolledOates
  • BroncosAlways
  • Big Del
  • Stix
  • Santa
  • Maddy
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Aldo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.