[Official] Smith re-signs with the Storm

Bull Shark

Bull Shark

State of Origin Rep
Jun 4, 2008
Courier mail is reporting that Cam Smith's asking price is 1.5 mil a season. Thoughts? He's the best player in the world but FMD, that's huge

If a marquee player allowance is introduced, who gives a **** ...

Anonymous person

Anonymous person

Banned User
Dec 16, 2008
17 wallaces is probably the broncos managements dream. itd mean we have a 100% completion rate because we have 17 players who are too slow to pass the ball, so we'll never drop it or do a wayward pass. itd be catch ball, get tackled, 5 dummy half walks, handover. 100% completion, we're halfway to winning!

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
17 wallaces is probably the broncos managements dream. itd mean we have a 100% completion rate because we have 17 players who are too slow to pass the ball, so we'll never drop it or do a wayward pass. itd be catch ball, get tackled, 5 dummy half walks, handover. 100% completion, we're halfway to winning!

Griffin really should stop leaving he's play sheet lying around

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
If we're willing to offer Cam Smith 1.5m, that means that we've basically given up hope of signing anyone else in the next season and a half, this is terrible news (If it's true)

Renegade

Renegade

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 14, 2008
I have to completely agree with you, although I have gotten in trouble with expressing my thoughts about how frustrating they are so you might want to be careful not to cross the line like I did.
haha, yeah, i can chew them out as long as I don't laugh at them, right? :p

honestly, i just need to be better at ignoring the troll, but i can't help myself. :laugh:

B

Brent81

Made Legal Threat to BHQ
Oct 31, 2012
Re: Locky tells club to throw wallet at Cameron Smith

Yeah, but Josh never said that, it's just nine trying to stir **** and get idiots to watch there ****ty version of news. If the bit about 'Broncos captain' didn't tip you off...

McGuire said that Smith would definitely be an asset. He said that Macca is his mate and currently he is enjoying playing with him. Not once did he say anything about not wanting smith or that he is not worth a bidding war.

Maybe I'm a bit dense. Ok I am a bit dense. Obviously the "quote" didn't reflect what McGuire said and for that I apologise to him.

Unfortuantely it doesn't say "Brisbane captain" in the link on Broncoshq (noone's fault just saying).

Renegade

Renegade

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 14, 2008

I can't see how we won't end up with anything other than the Lockyer debacle mkII because we'll be paying a massive chunk of the cap to a guy with not many tomorrows, thus rendering us unable to compete for the next Cameron Smith, Thurston, Lockyer, DCE, etc etc.

It's why I'm so against the idea, this reads straight out of the Parramatta playbook, throw inflated cash at a guy who's at the end of his career and expect him to play like he's in his prime.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
haha, yeah, i can chew them out as long as I don't laugh at them, right? :p

honestly, i just need to be better at ignoring the troll, but i can't help myself. :laugh:

Yeah nice dig, I deserved that lol :P

But yeah I'm hardly the model poster... I too need to learn to stop feeding trolls

*note to mods - this does not mean that I am calling FIH a troll, or anyone else a troll :)

B

Brent81

Made Legal Threat to BHQ
Oct 31, 2012

Just so you know, when you start with 'McCullough is the worst hooker in the NRL" no one will take you seriously. While he's form isn't amazing at the moment and he certainly has a few guys in front of him as far as 'the NRL's best hooker' but there is not one stat, opinion, anything to back up your claim. You might as well started with "I'm the second coming of the lord jesus christ and my **** tastes like cotton candy"

Stats aren't eveything broncos4life.

On current form he's the worst of the lot (thats not a fact, just my opinion). And I'm not Robinson Crusoe when I say that I have that opinion.

Smith v McCullough, not a serious contest.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011

Stats aren't eveything broncos4life.

On current form he's the worst of the lot (thats not a fact, just my opinion). And I'm not Robinson Crusoe when I say that I have that opinion.

Smith v McCullough, not a serious contest.

That's true, starts aren't everything but there is no way Macca is the worst hooker in the comp. While ever Matt keating is around (as well as quite a few others, but I'm not getting into a 'who's shitter than macca' contest) he is not the worst hooker. That's both opinion and fact.

Im not sure what you mean by the bolded? obviously Smith is far far better that macca and no one has suggested otherwise... ever.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
Unless they are confident we can lure a player or 2 like DCE or Babra before then, and retain most of our roster, only then would I be okay with paying smith this much.

I'd rather sign up DCE for this amount than Smith. Its a short term solution that could be potentially disastrous.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
Unless they are confident we can lure a player or 2 like DCE or Babra before then, and retain most of our roster,

I wouldn't be confident of that. I think we'll have to lose a bunch of players to get a massive signing like one of those, let alone 2. I think it's worth it in the end though, there are always talented jnrs coming through the system, but rarely a world class half or fullback or hooker.

Waynesaurus

Waynesaurus

NRL Captain
Jun 3, 2013
Smith at $1.5mil can stay in Melbourne IMO, short term solution which could severely effect our financial bargaining position when other younger more long term prospects come onto the market in 2015+.

Surely even the Storm would have to flinch at paying $1.5m for one player.

I have no doubt if Smith's motives were that he is keen to come back to QLD then the Broncos would certainly offer a respectable amount and he would be willing to accept reasonable $'s to achieve that. At $1.5mil it says more to me that he is trying to push up his $'s rather than just wanting to coming back to QLD.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
He's nearing the end of his career, he has done everything and proven everything, can't blame him for wanting a big paycheck so that he'll be secure for years to come.

Unread

Active Now

• Fozz
  • I bleed Maroon
  • winslow_wong
  • KickHaas
  • davidp
  • Broncorob
  • Culhwch
  • Dash
  • Waynesaurus
  • Bucking Beads
  • Lurker
  • Scdeac
  • Big Del
  • teampjta
  • Strop
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.