[Official] Smith re-signs with the Storm

Re: Locky tells club to throw wallet at Cameron Smith

He is definitely worth it. Surely we have more more money than the storm so let the bidding war begin. Although we do need some money for a 6 and/or 7 aswell...

Locky tells club to throw wallet at Cameron Smith

not sure how much value there is in signing smith at 32 to big dollars.

plus there's the fact that having a good hooker doesn't necessarily help if your halves still dither with it, then again this is for 2015 so who knows what we'll look like by then.

I agree by and large but for me there's two factors at play here.

1) we will have money to spend and nobody else good looks like hitting the market; and more importantly
2) Ashley Taylor. Broncos obviously had huge wraps on him. His introduction to first grade would be infinitely easier with a player like Smith at his side. Can you imagine how much harder it will be for this kid if he has Macca, Hoffman and Wallace as his spine partners!?

^^ Agreed. We surely have money to spend on him, and if not then hopefully we can jack up his asking price so that the Storm are worse off under the cap.

Correct. Like I've been saying, using the Broncos as a recruitment playcard works in our favour. Every extra $100k that someone negotiates in to their contact is $100k less that that team has available under the cap.

Apparently he said we should sign k. Hunt too. I reckon he'd be cheaper than barba too. With his AFL experience he should be a much better kicker which could make up for replacing Wallace with b. hunt. B. could do short kicks (he has a good grubber) and k. Hunt could do the long kicking. Who knows maybe with those two ALL our problems would be fixed.

I'm against signing Smith. I'd much rather we sign DCE. If it was for next year I'd love it but 2015 onwards is too late and he'll just be a short term fix.

My opinion is that when you talk about Smith, it is much more than just a bloke to play hooker

If we are looking just at a great player to play in the 9 for 2 years, I would agree with those saying 'no'

But I believe Smith means more than this

His standing in the game and the respect he commands is second to none

Players like playing with/for him so it could help with recruitment

Also, reports suggest he is a crafty coach-in-waiting

So, if signing a 32 year old hooker who brings calmness and direction on field for 2 years and also brings a greater ability to recruit and also brings an answer to future coaching concerns, then I say it's totally worth it

Perhaps I am too optimistic and none of these extras would eventuate

Fortunately I'm not the one who has to decide :)

I've said this before if Smith wants to live in Brisbane due to family reasons we will get him. If it is about money which I doubt it will be we won't be interested. I'd love for us to get Smith. It probably depends on if we make these big signings we are rumoured to be making.

Tend to agree with Josh, by the time he gets to Brisbane in 2015 he'll be like 32 or 33, he could probably play another 1-2 years of solid football, but it's just not worth the money, so many other younger players I'd rather target in 2014/2015.

No such tweet from 9News, and "Broncos and Australian Captain"?

Did you just make that up Beads :loool:

I didn't make it up mate. They may have deleted it after I copied it though

I love Smith, and I think he's exactly what we need...............3 years ago. Get Barba and DCE then offer Smith a coaching role. That seems to be his future and if he really does want to be here, get to it.

Even if he's under Hook as head coach still, I don't care - Smith can take care of attack, Kearney can be sacked and Hook can focus on his defence (which last year was very very good for the most part).

Make it happen!

Melbourne Storm hooker Cameron Smith expected to attract $1.5m a year offers | News.com.au

THE Broncos will need to offer $1.5 million a year to lure home the game's greatest hooker, Cameron Smith.

With the NRL salary cap increasing to $6.55 million for the 2015 season, an $800,000 increase on this year, and likely cap exemptions for marquee talent, Smith could become the country's highest paid footballer.

Several player managers told The Courier-Mail on Monday that Smith would earn as much as $1.5 million a season in his next deal due to his match-winning talent and marketability.

That figure would be 22 per cent of the NRL's 2015 salary cap, leaving the club that signs Smith $5 million dollars to spend on the remaining 24 players in their squad.

Melbourne Storm officials recently began informal talks with Smith about his next contract, expiring at the end of 2014.

Melbourne have proven that a team made of play-making stars propped up by journeyman and rookies wins premierships, as opposed to an even spread of the salary cap.

Kerrod Walters, recently named as hooker in the Broncos' greatest grand final team, rated Smith as a "must buy" for his former club.

Walters said if the Broncos could not secure Smith's signature they should plonk current No.9 Andrew McCullough in front of re-runs of Storm and Maroons matches so he can study how Smith plays.

Walters backed the comments of former Broncos skipper Darren Lockyer, who said the club must make Smith their priority.

"Andrew is a good player, but if Cameron Smith is on the market you do all you can to get him," Walters, who won two premierships with the Broncos, said.

"It would be silly not to go after him.

"In the modern game he's the best there is. My brother (Steve) was very good but in the modern game Smith is something else.

"Andrew is going OK this year, but Smith is the guy he needs to study. It is difficult for Andrew because his team is not going well but I would be getting him to study a lot of Smith's games to take his performance to that next level."

Fellow Storm stars Billy Slater and Cooper Cronk are contracted until the end of 2015 and 2016 respectively.

Coach Craig Bellamy just signed a new five-year deal.

NRL chief operating officer Jim Doyle recently revealed the governing body was considering introducing cap changes to keep superstars of interest to rivals codes in the NRL.

The game's administration are reviewing the A-League's marquee player system.

Adopting that system would help the Broncos secure Smith, as they are one of very few profitable NRL clubs and have cash outside the NRL's annual grant to offer.

The best paid NRL players in Robbie Farah, Johnathan Thurston and Greg Inglis currently earn near $1 million a year.

Smith said before Origin I that his next contract could be his last.

"I'm 30 this year so if I sign a lengthy deal, it's more than likely going to be my last one ... so it won't just come down to someone throwing an offer and me accepting it," Smith told The Courier-Mail.

"When I first started playing, I always said I wanted to be a one-club man but as we've all seen with 'JT' (Thurston) and his last negotiation, it is a pretty important contract for me."

Before you read 1.5M and your head spins, a fair chunk of that isn't counted in the cap - 3rd party deals and marquee player allowances help there.

Bid on him so Melbourne have to pay more. I'd still rather DCE.

I'd love to have him here, but at that price i'm not so sure ??

I say offer it. If he says no, Storm will be paying close to that amount. and unless their second books are back they'll struggle to recruit.

Active Now

• LockyersLeftBoot
  • Galah
  • Manofoneway
  • sooticus
  • bert_lifts
  • mrtij
  • Tim K
  • Broncosarethebest
  • simplythebest
  • Cavalo
  • johnny plath
  • Gaz
  • Xzei
  • Harry Sack
  • Waynesaurus
  • Robboi_321
  • Old Mate
  • ostin86
  • theshed
  • LGH
... and 10 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.